1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused about the Mordaunt-Short THX Avant Package

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by bingle, Oct 28, 2004.

1. bingle

bingle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm pretty much a novice wanting to purchase the Mordaunt-Short Avant 900 package, and I'm very confused. On the richersounds website the Avant package is mentioned as being THX, though on the MS website the Avant 900's aren't mentioned as THX anywhere, only the 500 range is. Forgive me if I have missed anything and am speaking utter nonsense, it would be the first time. Also, what is the difference between the 500s and 900s? Which is best? I'm not overly fussed about amazing music as would prefer better quality H/C.Sorry again if this has been touched on in an old thread that I haven't spotted. Also, I was planning on running them off an AX5i- any comments, Thanks.

Oh yeah, and would Richersounds be the best port of call?

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,312
    The 900 series speakers are the Avant series units 902,3,4,5,6,8,9 etc.
    The THX pack is the 500 series and is not an "Avant" product, it carries the codes 502,4 & 6. I think that the units actually still have "Declaration" on the boxes. There has only ever been one version of the THX pack and that is it. RS have some difficulties grasping this concept so it often gets labelled up in this manner.
    As to being the best place to buy, it is certainly the cheapest but the chances are you will not be able to listen to the units before buying them.

3. Jon

Jon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought the 500 series package from RS and am very pleased, they still need running in a bit more but sound very good indead!

Cheers

Jon