1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused about terrestrial connection to plasma screens

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by alanfcross, Feb 20, 2005.

1. alanfcross

alanfcross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just started to look at buying a plasma screen (SWMBO says she's not keen on a projector!), but can't work out the connectivity options for plasma. Many screens seem to need a terminal board (or three), but where is the option for conventional terrestrial (aerial on the roof) connection? Is it built-in, assumed, and just not mentioned? Or does one buy a special terminal board for this basic function? Or does one buy a quite separate tuner box? If the latter, what are these called, so I can go searching? With a projector I understood my options, and would have fed the PJ from the VCR tuner or similar - is this what I'd have to do with most plasmas?Thanks for any help on this.

2. geewhizz

geewhizz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    All you need is Sky or cable and the ariel plugs into that and depending on what boards you got with your plasma you connect via RGB - Scart - Composite - Component.
    Just read the threads theres lots of good advise on here.
    :D

3. hao

hao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some have all the connections incorporated e.g. Panasonic Viera, with easy to follow instructions.

4. alanfcross

alanfcross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In many ways, I DO want an external box. Terrestrial, as we know it, will soon be dead, and is only one of many current input options. but does the generic term 'media box' cover UHF input, or is the media box just a glorified switching centre for baseband signals? Thought I think an externa tuner is the way to go, I don't want the non-techies in the house to have to switch on several boxes and select inputs just to watch Eastenders!

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The 'other approach' to this problem is to integrate the sound and visual parts of your system. This is appropriate and easy if you want surround sound for DVD like most do. You use the amp to switch video and sound simultaneously, you have only 1 video cable connection to the screen, and with well chosen components, you have only 1 remote control. If you have no digital TV now, why not go for freeview, it will be more than you are currently getting, and gives you an opportunity for a sensible sytem, not blowing your budget nor involving ongoing costs. You can do this as a DIY project for round about the 2.5k mark all in, bit less if you compromise on speakers maybe.

6. Tarsh

Tarsh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are 2 basic types of Plasma, 1 is a Plasma TV & the other is a Plasma display.

The TV will be like any other TV in that it will have a TV tuner to accept RF from an Aerial and will usually have other inputs such as SCART for RGB & Composite signals.

The Display version has no tuner so will have options for all the inputs except RF.

You basically need to decide what you want to view, then work out the best you can get for your budget, just bear in mind that the best quality signal in results in a better picture; usually in this order Component video, RGB, Composite. Not sure about digital inputs, but I read that these are meant to be better.

A freeview digibox makes a great tuner & you can get them with built in PVR hard drive also.

You may also wish to go for a separate sound system also.

Have a search through these forums & be prepared for a bit on information overload :)

This thread is often quoted and although rather long now, does contain most of what you need to know:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154292&highlight=beginner

Good luck :smashin:

7. dartieman

dartieman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi alan, let you know of my purchase and set up may help you along the way.

I decided to go for the display panel, a panasonic pwd 6 with a external feed for tv etc. I purchased a component feed board to go with this.

I then decided to upgrade my dvd player to recorderable and built in freeview with component output (sony gxd500) , this then simply conects via a component cable into the plasma.
    Picture quality is far better than i ever thought. it is stunning, as of course is dvd playback.
    You will need a seperate source for sound, I have my dvd player connected to a pioneer amp, and then a 5.1 speaker set up into the amp.
    In addition for day to day tv watching i rigged up a pair of mission m3i speakers connected directly to the plasma (pw6 has speaker out put connections), You would then also need to connect audio L/R out puts from plasma to (in my case) dvd player.
    There are many ways of conecting and options when purchasing it depends on your current equipment, budget, placement etc.
    Cant recommend pw6 enough but very limited avaibilty, pw7 very similiar and just as good.
    Read the forum links, they can seem a bit confusing but all the info is there.thease people know their stuff.

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215