Confused about switching

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by @if ®afiq, Nov 6, 2005.

1. @if ®afiq

@if ®afiq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Can someone please explain to me in layman's terms - what this is and will I need it?

I will be buying a LCD soon as well as a 360 - how will HDMI switching benefit this?

2. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    360 doesn't use HDMI, it uses component, but any HDMI switching amp will likely switch component as well. It basically gives you extra inputs on your display, you input, for example, an HD DVD player and a PS3 in to your amp, have one output to the screen, and whatever input you select on the amp, will be displayd on your screen.

If you get an upconverting switching amp, like the Yamaha RXV-2600, it even converts everything to HDMI so you only need one cable out of the amp, and never have to touch the TV remote :thumbsup: .

A switching amp which doesn't upconvert, each signal has its own path, e.g. if you have component in you need component leads out as well, it doesnt convert everything to one or other signal type. :)

3. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    At present, most HDMI equipped displays only have a single HDMI input. When you get 2 or more bits of kit that are HDMI out, hi-def capable Sky/Cable and a DVD player perhaps, the ability to switch will prevent an external switching box or unplugging one source to use another.