1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused about Subwoofer

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by ahh, Nov 14, 2003.

1. ahh

ahh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hate to bring this up again... I am sure it has been discussed many many times before, but... :blush:

Now that I have decided on the Monitor Audio Radius speakers (without the sub), I need to find a good subwoofer.

I am very confused about comments regarding the Rel Q150 MkII. So I would like an opinion as to which subwoofer to go for?

Please set me in the right direction.

Thanks.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    demo is really the only way to go mate!

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Whether the REL Q150 deserves it's place as subwoofer of the year every year in the What Hifi awards is arguable but the general consensus of opinion is that it is overpriced. You haven't said what it is that you like about the Q150. If it is the size, have a look at models from MJ Acoustics or the B&W A675 but if you can look at something bigger I am sure that AV-Sales.com will do you a good price on a Velodyne CHT-10 as they are forum sponsors and Authorized Velodyne dealers.

4. ahh

ahh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Ian,

My confusion was caused by getting excited about the awards given to the Rel Q150 and then reading the various not so positive comments about it on this forum.

I do not have too many restrictions on size, but want to choose the correct type of subwoofer, for the money, to be in line with the amp and speakers chosen. These are the Pioneer AX5i and the Monitor Audio Radius.

I will now look at the MJ Acoustics, B&W A675 and the Velodyne CHT-10. Out of these, which one would have your vote?

-ahh

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The B&W is a classy compact sub which no-one on this forum has had anything but praise to say about but it is a couple of hundred pounds more expensive than the Velodyne

6. Dazed

Dazed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The direct Velodyne comparitor product to the ASW 675 is the SPL series. As you'll see I have the SPL1000 and cannot speak highly enough about it.

Velodyne have released the SPL series II in the States and should be available over here in the new year, the only thing I know about the difference is that the Amp has been beefed up to 1000w (!) on the 1000 and 1200 and it comes in some nicer finishes rather than just the plain black ash.

Having said that I've only ever heard good things about the B&W

7. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I recently aquired the B&W ASW-675 and it's a very good compact sub.

8. ahh

ahh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot for the comments, guys. My confusion is fast dissipating.

9. paulcollins14

paulcollins14
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you find a sub to match ?

I recently listened to the MA Radius as a potential upgrade to my Elac system but I wanted to use my existing MJ Acoutics ref 100 and so leave out the MA sub.

My Local Hifi dealer was happy to demo the system trying both and also with the MJ ref 150.

I would have to say to my ears the ref 100 was very close to the 150 and both were better then the MA sub especially when listening to music (multichannel and stereo)

I was also happy that the dealer will sell me a single R90 for the centre rear.

I would have to say this is by far the best sub/sat package I have listened to, just waiting for my order to arrive into stock, should have it by the end of the week.

Paul