Confused about screen resolutions?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Molly, Aug 9, 2004.

1. Molly

Molly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a widescreen Relysis 1720 LCD screen connected to a PC using Nebula TV and Theatertek. The standard resolution according to the manual is 1024 x 768 but it will run at 1280x768 but with a distorted Xp icons. When I run the THX optimiser on Star Wars 1 within Theatertek, I need to run at 1280 x 768 for a near perfect circle but Nebula TV at 1280 x 768 gives a distorted image?

Do I need to run at 1280 x 768 for dvd, if so how can I auto switch the windows resolution before Theatertek opens and then switch back to 1024 x 768 on closing?

Would I need to run at 1280 x 720 for true 16:9 using powerstrip? What settings would be required?
    :confused:

2. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +842
    You probably want to be running at the native resolution of 1024x768 (because this resolution will give the most clarity). In the DigiTV display settings you can select "Anamorphic" display, and then the aspect ratio should be correct for all material (widescreen will fill the screen, 4:3 mateial will have black bars either side).

For DVD playback, you should be able to tell the software that you have a 16:9 display, and it should take care of the aspect ratio also. I've not used theatertek, so I can't say, but I'd imagine so.

Windows Media Player, and some DVD software, seems to assume that the screen pixels are always square (ie. that the resolution and display are both 16:9) for the aspect ratio to be correct, and for these, it's a problem.

3. Molly

Molly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I agree Nebula is a better picture in the native resolution.

I believe from your comments Theatertek assumes square pixels. Is there any way around this so I can produce a true 16:9 picture?

Thanks

4. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +842
    Actually, I'd be surprised if theatertek didn't provide the necessary setting. Anybody know?

Another approach might be to use Zoom Player instead, which is designed to provide complete control of aspect ratios (and the picture quality should match theatertek, because zoom player will just use your existing playback filters).