Confused about RGB connection

kblt1

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi

Sorry I'm stupid :( - I have searched the forums but it all gets a bit techy for me!

I bought a cable IXOS XFT02 to connect my sky+ to my new Sony KV32CS70 CRT. See here...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...9026572-9304651

I have connected it and set the sky+ to RGB output and plugged it into the RGB socket on the TV. What I want to know is...

1. Am I now connected via RGB or would I need an RGB only scart lead to be connected via RGB.

2. Is what I have bought a 'fully wired' scart lead?

3. Will an RGB only scart lead improve the picture quality (and an optical cable for sound to my amp) more than the current lead I have bought?

Thankyou in advance for your help :)

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Hi
I would say that at least 95% of scart leads are fully wired.
I once took a cheap(supermarket) scart apart and it had the full 21 wires.
If scart leads are of poor quality, this can cause interferance so to cut down on this some scart makers will just use the number of wires needed, for a DVD player, in one direction only. I suppose you could say a fully wired lead is universal.
The RGB part is down to the settings on your TV or tuner box.

I personal dont see the need for expensive leads but if you have paid alot for your TV, then why be a skinflint.

Nigel

If you flick the Sky+ plus box between RGB and composite modes and notice a difference (solid colours, less flicker, sharper edges) then indeed you are in RGB mode. Sometimes an input on a television will have a composite and RGB mode and you will have to explicitly select RGB. For example, if when pressing the input button you see AV1 and then AV1 - RGB or similar, you'll need to be on RGB mode to get the benefit. If there are no choices like this, your telly will auto select, and may show the setting in the OSD when you change to that input.

Thanks for that it has 3 dots on AV1 which indicate connected by RGB so it must be ok.

Would I see any picture difference if I bought an RGB only scart?

Probably not, I upgraded from no-name Scarts to Thor cables (at a cost of £30 quid S/H) and didn't really see much difference. I would see buying an RGB only cable as a bit of a useless purchase because you then can't use it for anything else, unless you want picture only!

I found that a QED Sqart RGB only cable was a good deal better than an Ixos fully wired that it replaced when I used it with my CRT projector - the colours were definately stronger and the picture seemed to have more detail.

The best thing was that I bought and sold it on ebay and it sold for more than I got it for. :thumbsup:

I would agree. The QED cables that I have used on the whole seem better than Ixos equivalents. The only cable failure (rather than a problem with the connector) that I have ever suffered was with a green Ixos s-video->SCART cable. It seems to have an intermittent break mid way along the cable probably as it is so rigid. Even though it has a lifetime warranty, I won't bother as the 'cheap and cheerful' Thor cable that I bought to replace it with is better. BTW I don't use s-video->Scart anymore now that I have more RGB/component/DVI inputs.

You sometimes get problems with connecting a SCART lead to a TV set where the CVBS output interferes with the CVBS input (often when the TV is forced to SCART by pin 8, the set still outputs the original tuner video signal from pin 20), if the lead isn't sufficiently well screened this can give rise to picture problems.

So better quality scarts dont just ensure picture quality, they screen out non wanted signals too

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom