Confused about RGB cables

kblt1

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi

Sorry I'm stupid :( I have searched the forums but it all gets a bit techy for me!

I bought a cable IXOS XFT02 to connect my sky+ to my new Sony KV32CS70 CRT. See here...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...rements/ref=ed_tec_dp_2_1/202-9026572-9304651

I have connected it and set the sky+ to RGB output and plugged it into the RGB socket on the TV. What I want to know is...

1. Am I now connected via RGB or would I need an RGB only scart lead to be connected via RGB.

2. Is what I have bought a 'fully wired' scart lead?

3. Will an RGB only scart lead improve the picture quality (and an optical cable for sound to my amp) more than the current lead I have bought?

Thankyou in advance for your help :)

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I'm unclear what an "RGB only" SCART lead would do. The only connections you could miss out would be the audio and the return composite video. A decent lead won't pick up cross-talk from those, so you should be fine.

You are only watching RGB if your DVD is set to RGB o/p and your CRT is set to look at RGB. If you have obvious fuzzyness on hard lines in the picture, or DVD titles. your in composite. IF your crisp and clear, your RGB

Troon said:
I'm unclear what an "RGB only" SCART lead would do. The only connections you could miss out would be the audio and the return composite video. A decent lead won't pick up cross-talk from those, so you should be fine.

You are correct in your assumptions.

Gareth.

Hello all

The 'RGB Only' SCART cables generally use a 'different' cable between the two SCART hoods - if were looking at say Supra or QED as an example; who both produce 'Fully Wired' and 'RGB Only' SCART cables.

The theory being that rather than use a 21 core Multicore (no matter if all the cores are connected or not) you use a 5 core Multicore with thicker conductors and better screening to achieve less signal drop across the cable.

It certainly works in lots of installations I've seen - though as always try and organise a loan of any intended cable and try it in your own set-up before you splash the cash.

Best regards

Joe

BDCSTENG GARETH said:
You are only watching RGB if your DVD is set to RGB o/p and your CRT is set to look at RGB. If you have obvious fuzzyness on hard lines in the picture, or DVD titles. your in composite. IF your crisp and clear, your RGB

Erm, sorry about the late post. :D

Right, you said you need to set your TV to RGB? I can't see any option to do that on my Sony CRT...actually, there's no way to do it on my Sony CRT. I've used my PS2 with my trusty Blaze RGB cable without problems for awhile, are you sure you need to set your TV to RGB for fully wired scarts to show true RGB?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom