Confused about PS4 audio with Yamaha YAS93

Y2JON

Established Member
Reaction score
I’ve had a Yamaha YAS-93 soundbar for a while now. I feel it’s a pretty decent system for the price range, and a massive improvement over the PC speakers I used to have set up with the TV!
Everything sounds great, except when I play Blu-Rays through the PS4 Pro. I have the normal PS4 audio set up as Dolby Digital, and the little indicator light comes on fine when playing games. Once you load a Blu-Ray, some of you will know you get different/extra audio settings. Whichever I pick here, the ‘Dolby’ indicator light turns to the red light of death, suggesting it’s not picking up a hi-res audio signal. The settings here are PCM, Bitstream etc. What should I be choosing? I have the soundbar connected directly to the PS4 Pro using an optical lead. I’m using a 2015 Sony TV (trying to remember the model, it’s the entry level Android TV that year). I take it the TV can’t process the audio signal if I have set up direct between Yamaha and PS4?

Thanks for any help. Apologies for the wall of text!

PS4 Pro > Soundbar - as you are using the TosLink (Optical) connection ‘HD’ audio is not an issue as it is only supported over HDMI.

TV - is not relevant to the PS4 Pro audio if you are connecting the PS4 Pro direct to the Optical Input on the Soundbar and selecting Optical Input on the Soundbar when viewing the PS4 Pro.

Joe

PS4 Pro > Soundbar - as you are using the TosLink (Optical) connection ‘HD’ audio is not an issue as it is only supported over HDMI.

TV - is not relevant to the PS4 Pro audio if you are connecting the PS4 Pro direct to the Optical Input on the Soundbar and selecting Optical Input on the Soundbar when viewing the PS4 Pro.

Joe
Thanks for this. That is exactly how it’s set up: Soundbar - PS4 Pro via the optical port & optical input on the soundbar. So with this info, which audio setting would be best for this connection? I’m unsure of the differences between PCM, Bitstream, Bitstream (Direct) & what’s best for this soundbar.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom