Confused about PS3 sound output to RCA jacks

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by y2richie, Feb 8, 2009.

1. y2richie

y2richie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Can all the hi-fi/gaming/TV purists look away now, thanks. I need some advice here. I have very little money and no expensive hifi/TV equipment apart from my PS3. I was wondering today if I could hook up my old Cambridge Soundworks speakers to my PS3. This is a temporary measure just to boost the sound until I can afford to buy decent stuff.

I know very little about the PS3 interfaces at the back of the unit. From what I've read today, the digital optical interface is called a TOSLink? Or uses a TOSLink cable? Is that right?

My Cambridge Soundworks has what I think are two male 3.5mm RCA jacks labelled (F)ront and (R)ear. Is there a CHEAP and easy way to run a cable from my PS3 audio port to these two RCA jacks?

I was looking at this 3.5mm minijack female to TOSLink male adaptor:
    3.5mm Minijack Female to TOSLink Male Only £2.44 at TVCables

But now I'm doubting myself as I can't see how I'd get both front and rear RCA jacks to plug in. I've looked at so many cables/adaptors today that my head is spinning. Anyone have the know-how to just point me in the right direction? :lease:

Thank you.

2. cols

cols

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +517
    Two 3.5mm jack inputs? Are you sure?

A 3.5mm jack carries stereo - 2 channels. I'm not sure why your pc speakers would require two of them, one should be all that's needed.

Anyway, i think what you need to do is this -

use the av multi cable that came with your ps3 (yellow, red and white phono plugs)

connect it to your ps3

connect the red (right) and white (left) plugs into a phono to 3.5mm jack adaptor

connect the 3.5mm jack to your pc speakers

go into ps3 sound settings, configure it to output audio over av multi

job done :smashin:

3. y2richie

y2richie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Edit: The speakers use two 3.5mm jacks (front and rear) going to obviously another set of front and rear 3.5mm jacks. I don't know why they made it like that.

Thanks Colspark. That's perfect! :thumbsup:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  4. cols

cols

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +517
    How would they normally connect to a pc then?

I'm just thinking what sort of adaptor you'll need.

You want either a 2 phono to 3.5mm jack (1st pic) this would mean the stereo audio from the ps3 goes into the one 3.5mm jack.

Or you could get two single phono to 3.5mm jack adaptors (2nd pic). This would mean you'd have one 3.5mm jack for left (white) and one for right (red).

Bit confused by the rear / front thing!

Attached Files:

5. y2richie

y2richie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The cable has two (front+rear) 3.5mm male plugs on one end and another two male at the other (so male to male). They go from the Creative SB Audigy 2 soundcard to the Soundworks amp.

I think what I need is an adaptor that is a double female phono on one end and double 3.5mm female at the other.

You can see why I've been confused now. I'm not sure it's worth the hassle, hehe.

6. mr_yogi

mr_yogi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    If these are the speakers I'm thinking of, they are a 4.1 system; 4 x little speaker cubes (front R & L and rear R & L) and 1 Subwoofer with amplification.

In order to connect these to your PS3 you will only get the front 2 speakers and the sub working, giving you what is known as a 2.1 system, and it should sound fine :smashin:

You'll need to use the PS3's Multi IO connector and connect the red and white leads to the twin phono adapter which Colspark posted, then plug the mini-jack end into the front speaker input of the subwoofer.

7. y2richie

y2richie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Ok thanks mr_yogi for your help. :)