• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Confused about music streaming

wtid

Standard Member
Hi all,

I've been trying to understand all of this, but I'm not getting very far!

Basically, I want to play flac files through my hi-fi speakers.

I'm ripping all my CDs as flac and and have a Panasonic ST50 with SD card slot that can play flacs. My TV is connected to my AV receiver, which is in turn connected to the MA BX5's. All I currently do is put an SD card in and play the music, but is there any better way of doing this? With SD cards going up to 128gb now, I can possibly fit all my music on 1 card. My only concern is that maybe I'm missing out on sound quality by not looking at alternatives? After spending a lot more than I had planned on the AV system and TV, I can't throw much at this, so I'd be looking at max £100. If there's nothing that would really make much difference at that price, I'll stick with what I have for now.

Thanks!

amcluesent

Distinguished Member
Stick with what you have. Add to your budget, then look at a Cocktail Audio X10 or a Sonos CONNECT

wtid

Standard Member
Thanks for the quick response.

What would either of those actually change? Sound quality or just usability (i.e. not having to change SD cards)?

larkone

Distinguished Member
FLAC is compressed lossless - the important part is it is lossless so will match the original source - normally CD. I assume you are connecting your TV optically to your AVR, if so then it is still data until it hits the DAC in your AVR. Then it is down to the quality of that DAC, amplifier and speakers. A simple check is to compare the sound of a ripped CD to the original played through your system to see if you can perceive any difference, which is unlikely but not a bad idea to reassure yourself.

Cebolla

Thanks for the quick response.

What would either of those actually change? Sound quality or just usability (i.e. not having to change SD cards)?
I believe there might be a relatively easy way to add to the usability aspect. However, it does require the same audio files that you're currently accessing through your tv's SD port being accessable through its USB port (via USB memory stick) too.

If so, then you can add wireless streaming of any SAMBA/windows shared folders on a network, such as those provided by a computer or on a NAS, up to a maximum capacity of 1TB amount of data!

There's a USB device, made by Canadian company HSTI, called the Wireless Media Stick. It allows shared folders on the network to appear as folders belonging to a 1TB USB memory stick drive with a FAT32 formatted partition attached to the USB port. Access to any potential network share is governed by the restrictions of the FAT32 filing system (eg 4GB max file size, etc), though this should not be a problem for normal sized audio files. There's even a free app to access files on an Android phone/tablet connected to the same network.

See info from the HSTI website:
Wireless Media Stick - Home Server Technologies Inc.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom