1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused about MPEG 2/3/4/Generally!

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Jaime, Sep 24, 2004.

1. Jaime

Jaime

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Please can you help.

I have now bought the DVD writer to hook up to mini DV camcorder Via Firewire to edit.

However, I am confused about this MPEG thing! I bought the Burner in order to get the better quality rather than the VCD, which was awful!, and I need to know what I need next!

I have Ulead video studio V 5, and Nero v 5.5 do I have to transfer the footage into MPEG, if so, will this software do it? How do I do it? Or do I need new software?.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated, thanks!!

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Having done your video editing the next step is to encode your footage.

MPEG-1 is what you had with VCD

MPEG-2 is what you require for DVD.

Now you can have a seperate MPEG encoder & authoring software (which you will need to convert your MPEG-2 encoded files into DVD spec Video Object Files) . This approach obviously gives you more choice over encoder/authoring program

OR

You can get an authoring package that includes an encoder (which gives you less choice but an easier workflow)

There are sooooo many products but as you are with Ulead (& will probably benefit from cheaper upgrades) you may want to consider mainly either an upgrade to Video Studio 8 or purchasing Movie Factory 3.

Check Ulead's FAQ on the products for more info on them.

http://www.ulead.com/vs/faq.htm

3. Jaime

Jaime

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks very much for the reply, although i find ULead very difficult to use, do yuo know if Pinnacle has an MPEG encoder?

Can you name any other software as I honestly don't have a clue!

Many thanks

Jaime