Confused about lcd tv

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by smallblueplanet, Jun 11, 2009.

1. smallblueplanet

smallblueplanet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay I've done a bit of reading now, but obviously not enough! I'm not sure whether it'd be better to wait before getting a new tv? I mainly watch Sky Sports and tv thru a Sky box. I hadn't realised how much more Sky HD costs per month so can't afford that atm. I only have an 'ordinary' dvd player and don't play games.

So is there any point in getting a new lcd tv, will it be as good as my old Panny crt for sport and viewing in general? :lease:

2. rovex33

rovex33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    To be honest no. They are smaller and more stylish, but better picture? No, not with SD. A CRT gives much better blacks.

Having said that it depends how big your CRT is and how big an LCD you were thinking of. If small you may not see the shortcomings of an SD picture on an LCD, if big you will.

Personally now i have a plasma id never buy an LCD again anyway.

3. smallblueplanet

smallblueplanet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks rovex. I have a 26" crt and was thinking about getting a 37" lcd or more likely (owing to finances) a 32" lcd. I looked at the 37" Panny plasma, but actually it might be a bit pricey for me. Also it seems a lot of messing about to 'run one in' even if I did decide to push the finances?

I'm worried that I'll get a 37" lcd and football will look [email protected] and this 'strange sounding' dynamic contrast thing, I read about when looking at the 37LG5000 whats that all about?

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Run it in means watch TV no need to worry especially with the newer panels there are loads of urban legends around plasmas propogated by stupid/lying sales staff and people in pubs who have no idea what they are talking about.

5. rovex33

rovex33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I gave my 37inch hannspree LCD to my parents to replace their 26inch Sony CRT. They love it, but sit about 12 feet away from it. At that distance you shouldnt see any problems unless the picture is really low quality.

A plasma doesnt really need running in a such. You could feed it static for a day while at work, that can, its reported, bed it in. Ive an LG, reported to suffer from image retention, but i havent seen any really. If i turn off the TV in the dark i can see a ghost of the image for about 3 seconds while the screen fades away, but thats it. Ive not seen any under any other circumstance.

Dont worry about dynamic contrast. I always turn it off, i dont think it really helps.