Answered Confused about lamp timer, SmartEco mode

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by DevlinDarkside, Aug 13, 2018.

1. DevlinDarkside

DevlinDarkside
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am new on the projector scene so please forgive me if this is a silly question.

I have a BenQ W2000 and on the data sheet it states...
    Lamp Mode (Normal/Eco/SmartEco/LampSave)* 3500 / 5000 / 6000 hours

In Smart Eco mode the lamp timer goes up by 1x, Eco mode by 1.4x and normal is 2x

In SmartEco does the lamp timer progress evenly at 1x or does it vary depending on how bright a scene is? I.e does the timer progress by 2x on bright scenes and 1x on dark scenes?

Also how safe are bulbs? I don't want to use SmartEco and stretch the bulb timer to 6000 hours and risk the bulb exploding and ruining the projector. But on the flip side the manufacture must deem it safe to stretch the bulb timer this far in SmartEco?

2. Best Answer:
    Post #3 by ShanePJ, Aug 18, 2018 (1 points)
  3. DevlinDarkside

DevlinDarkside
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I will put this here just in case anybody else is looking for the same info as me.

SmartEco does indeed advance the bulb timer by 1 hour per hour according to a stopwatch. Though how this can be while providing a brighter picture than normal eco mode most of the time is beyond me.

Also the unit seems to run cooler on normal eco mode vs smarteco indicating higher power consumption in smarteco.

4. ShanePJ

ShanePJ
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Unit 5 The Sidings, Bacup, Lancs, OL13 9RW
    Ratings:
    +726
    Best Answer
    Although I cannot vouch for BenQ running modes, usually projectors accumulate lamp hours depending on how much power/brightness is being outputted though the lamp. Eco, Normal, High, HDR, 3D should all give differing usage times

The basic rule is, if lamp is shining brighter in one setting than another, it will clock up more usage hours regardless of whether you have used it for one hour as this is set by the Manufacturers own clock setting based their usage calculations. At least one of these should be in keeping with the earths spin though :D

If you are worried about this, don't be as it should mean your clocked up lamp hours should edge towards the Manufacturers higher figures rather than the lower one. This is unless the lamp fails early, which can happen to any product you purchase with a lamp fitted to it

One thing to always remember, the lamp will not last forever and believe or not most people change projectors before the lamp fails, never hearing it lamp go "POP" or see it dimming to its slow demise

The longest I've ever seen on a projector clock for a single lamp usage was 5,000 hours and that was on a Panasonic PT-AE100 which was unbelievable

As for how safe lamps, although the one in your projector is a little more sophisticated than the one found in your living room, they're usually as reliable if not more so. Yes they can go pop and bang, but so can any lamp. The beauty of a projector lamp is for the first 100 hours it will fluctuate in brightness until it balances itself out, then over the life of its usage, it should only diminish small percentages over the entire life until it hit's its cliff unlike the lamp found in your living room

As for your projector running hotter, it will be a combination of chipsets on the motherboard running hotter in combination with the lamp as the software will be working the processors harder keeping tabs on brightness to maximise its usage brightening and dimming the lamp outage

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018