Confused about HDMI ports needed

Moondoggy

Standard Member
Reaction score
I was looking at new TVs today and I'm concerned about the numbers of HDMI offered and the number of HDMI ports I need. My existing Samsung has 4 HDMI ports. I have my Directv connected to one port, a Roku stick in another, my Blu-ray player in another and my Sonos Beam Soundbar in the HDMI ARC port designated for audio. Most TVs I looked at had 3 HDMI ports so what do people do when your TV is short a port? I don't use my Blu-ray player very often but I like the convenience of being able to not have to do anything today except put a disk in and watch a movie. Do today's TVs come with more than 3 HDMI ports? Any help will be appreciated.

I've come across some Sony TV's with 4 HDMI ports.
If you need more you can buy an HDMI switch...Google it for info.

Stupid Sonos bar with no second hdmi input/passthrough to the TV for an attached device's video!

Use optical spdif from the TV to soundbar to free up the ARC hdmi for a video input device?

(That will lose hdmi CEC between TV and soundbar, but may prove acceptable to you - or not).

Many people use AVRs as their hdmi switching centres and proper surround sound, only using the TVs hdmi ARC connection for built in Apps sound and video from the AVR.

I'm sure there are plenty of TVs with 4 hdmi connections out there... but price point may affect that?
(Hisense and Panasonic in the UK market have 4 on some models at least. The USA market may be different?)

hdmi switches are another option.

My confusion was based on the assumption that I had to use my Roku stick on a new TV. I went to Best Buy today and the TV Guys looked at me like "What planet did he come from" (grin) as they informed me that every TV that I would be considering would have built-in streaming. Some use Roku and another I looked at used Google to add your channels like Paramount +. In addition Some of the TV's I would be considering actually had 4 HDMI ports on them anyway so I was freaking out over nothing. Thanks for the reply.

My confusion was based on the assumption that I had to use my Roku stick on a new TV. I went to Best Buy today and the TV Guys looked at me like "What planet did he come from" (grin) as they informed me that every TV that I would be considering would have built-in streaming. Some use Roku and another I looked at used Google to add your channels like Paramount +. In addition Some of the TV's I would be considering actually had 4 HDMI ports on them anyway so I was freaking out over nothing. Thanks for the reply.

That might be true, I wouldn't throw away that Roku stick just yet ! Many people prefer to use external streaming devices to a TV's own apps, as they often offer a better user experience, a greater choice of apps and receive updates more regularly and for longer than a TV will.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom