• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Confused about external HDD mounting

welsh-rich

Standard Member
Having read countless threads about upgrading the HDD on the Sky HD+ box (and not being able to find them again), I'm a touch confused about what I'll need.

If I mount an external HDD (1TB WD) outside of the box, I know about running the Sata cable from the motherboard to the external disc (disconnecting from the internal) but where is this powered from????

Am i right in thinking I'll need a caddy for the external drive with a mains supply, or does the power run from the sata/esata cable for the new drive? Or can I extend the internal power connections to outside the box????

I'm just a little confused as if I'm powering the new drive with an external power supply to the caddy, will there be any booting problems should there be any power loss or synch issues with turning them on etc?

And more importantly, will any caddy do or are there some better than others?

cheers all - slightly non-techy welsh bloke!

Paul_McG

Established Member
Hi,

You are better off using a caddy to house and power the disk, as you put less load on the Sky box PSU. The box boots from firmware , and doesn't access the HDD for some time after power is supplied, so timing won't be an issue.
There are no real performance differences between caddies, so just choose one that matches your decor

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom