1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused about component cable

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by srgbilco, Jul 16, 2003.

1. srgbilco

srgbilco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. I just bought this component cable after doing a searchon the forums. But I'm a bit confused. It's labelled as an RGB component cable, but I thought component cable usually plugged into a different labelled socket?

If I'm not being very clear, My Toshiba CRT TV has a Y, Pb/Cb, Pr/Cr component socket, while my Toshiba SD230E DVD player has a Y, Pb, Pr component socket. So have I bought the wroong cable or what? :confused:

2. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi,

The label is a bit confusing but the cable is fine for component video (phono to phono) connections.

Component and RGB signals use the same type of cable. They are 75ohm video coax... much the same as your aerial lead.

RGB is usually carried on the scart cable in the UK but it can also be sent along regular coax cable via phono connectors if required. There probably aren't too many applications where you would do this, so CPC might be better off calling it a component video cable.

brian

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The cable you have shown is suitable to connect your DVD Player to your TV, no worries.

Technically speaking RGB and YUV are both component (video) signals but they are not compatible to each other.

The term "Component" usually refers to YUV only, YCbCr in it's interlaced form and YPbPr in it's progressive form.
    YUV uses red, green and blue RCA/phono connections but it is not compatible to RGB (which also means Red, Green, Blue).
    RGB can be carried over Scart, VGA connections or seperate connectors, usually BNC (in particular as RGBHV).
    There are some manufactures which use different methods (e.g. YUV over Scart) but they are not necessarily standard.

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Actually...

"CrCb is digital domain and PbPr is analogue domain
    U and V are colour difference signals scaled to provide necessary PAL chrominance. U and V signals only exist prior PAL modulation or after demodulation"

This was taken from Video Standards by Victor Steinberg, Snell and Wilcox, just in case everyone thinks I am a walking dicitonary......

G

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    we know....the truth

6. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Hey Gordon,

Can I ask does it differencia the bandwidth given for lumima and Pr Pb in component compared to lumina/chroma in S-Video ideally compared to RGB?

cheers,
    Rob.

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Hey Rob,

Buy the book...hahaha. Going to try look it up when I get a second

Gordon