• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Confused about 32 inch tvs!

ricjd

Hi Guys

The price of 32 inch tvs has recently come down a lot and you can seem to pick up tvs for around the 350 mark nowadays (mainly from looking on richersounds)

I know there is a lot a threads on this already but to be honest it made it a little bit more confusing!

If I list the main things I would want the tv for in order of preference I'm hoping someone might be able to point me to a good couple of TVs around the above price:

1 Watching SD, (mainly Sky) - I will move to HD later but at the moment it's mainly SD we watch
2 Watching DVDs - I got a DVD player the other week to play multi region dvds, and I found out it also upscales, so would like something which shows decent upscaled HD
3 Playing games (Wii), watching sports. This doesn't happen all that often, but it would be nice for it to look good.
4 Playing HD games (xbox) - sometimes the misses it out so I would like to be able to set up my 360, sink a few beers and play games in the lounge

Sorry if this is a lot to ask. Originally I was looking at this:

SONY KDL32L4000 at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

But from going into richersounds and explaing what I would want it for, they said that the LG 32lg3000, would be better, and looking on the currys website, you can get this delivered for the same price as the sony.

Fianlly I always thought I would get a Samsung when the time came, and there seems to be a few around, e.g:

SAMSUNG LE32A457 at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

But all in all I really don't know who/what to go for...

Any advise would be appreciated.

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
no need to get the lower 32L4000,get the 32V4000 the best at its class

ricjd

hi chrisgeo

Thanks for the reply, it was a 32lg300 by LG I was recommended in richersounds, i.e. this one:

LG 32LG3000 at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

Is the cony one still better?

Also i went into the sony centre at lunch time and they said that they could not do the SONY KDL32V4000 for less that around 450, due to it's less than what they pay for it. Is this correct?

Again, thanks for all your advice
http://www.avforums.com/forums/member.php?u=199908

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
still the 32V4000 is the best.Its the best tv at the price range up to £450

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
thanks all

chrisgeo, by any chance do you work for sony :p

i think i'll head over to richersounds tonight!

no I dont work for sony even if it would be a good idea!Happy shopping

ricjd

Hi

Does anyone know what the difference is between the SONY KDL32V4000 and the Sony KDL32L4000? Apart from the letter?

Thanks

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
As nielo says,thats the difference.Also 32L4000 has a lower dynamic contrast

ricjd

Decided to go for a 32V4000, the richersounds near me has some in stock.

But before I do I'm wondering, at the moment i have no Blu-Ray player. From looking around, this tv is 24ps, or hz, or fps. So I would suffer from judder from blu-ray films. Would this be noticeable on a 32 inch screen?

Also, some sites/people this tv is ok for sports/gaming. Some sites/people sae it is. And some sites/people think it is. What the general conceseus?

Again sorry for all these questions and thanks for all of your time.

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
you dont need to worry as motion would be very ok

Nielo TM

Distinguished Member
Apparently the 32" V4000 doesn't support 24p, so you may experience 2:3 judder.

But, chances are you wont see it unless you're sensitive to motion.

P

peanuthead

Hey all

I have been battling with my head too over buying a 32" lcd.. and have read on a lot of review sites, that the V4000 has motion problems, but the reviews for the samsung are excellent.. so whats the deal there?
What is the best feature a tv can have to eliminate or reduce to the most minimum levels the motion blur, as to watch movies like the OP and myself it would do my head in to see that all the time!

Thanks guys

vickster

Distinguished Member
100hz

spasm_latg

Standard Member
I had the exact same dilemma this week, ended up choosing the V4000 from RS in Stockport. They wanted me to get the LG3000, and came out with stuff like

"Well, we've had 4 sonys returned this week"
and
"the only we've got it is a return in an open box" (it wasn't)

This seemed a little desperate to me, which made me stick to my guns and get the Sony in an act of defiance. I think i've made the right decision, because the picture is superb for the money - i've got Sky HD and an XBox 360 hooked up and looking grand, couldn't be happier! :thumbsup:

Phil

TopMeTom

Banned
I had almost the same conversations with two branches of RS this afternoon!!

"ooh mate, i'd spend 400-450 at least.....samsung's look nice and that's it. Not got the Sony in get an LG much better panel!"

Hmmm pre-ordered v4000 at RS bournemouth, hope to get it Saturday.

ricjd

I've been looking at this today with a friend. I know at the moment i don't have bluray but i will do one day. I was looking at his set up and was able to play a tv on 50hz and 60hz and judder is quite bad.

This had left me looking for a tv which supports 24hz, and i think if the price difference isn't that much i would like a tv which support 100hz as well. but this depends on prices i'm looking at.

does anyone have any suggestions?

vickster

Distinguished Member
Panasonic TX-32LZD80

Sony KDL32W4000U

SAMSUNG LE32A656 (maybe?)

24p but not 100hz, not sure you can get a set with both?

Last edited:

ricjd

So far i have found:

Sony KDL32D3000 - 720p
Panasonic TX-32LXD700 - 720p
Samsung LE-32A656 - 1080p
Panasonic TX-32LZD85 - 1080p
JVC LT32DP8 - 720p
Toshiba 32WLT68 - 720p
Samsung LE-32M86BD - 720p
JVC LT-32DP9 - 720p

also there seems to be this:
Lg 32pg6000 - 1080p

which is a plasma. I don't know if this does 24ps, but then again i don't know about plasmas...

like i sadi confusion or what!

P

peanuthead

Panasonic TX-32LZD80

Sony KDL32W4000U

SAMSUNG LE32A656 (maybe?)

24p but not 100hz, not sure you can get a set with both?
]Hey Vic

I think you have to get the 37" of the A656 to get 100hz.

It is so confusing though, there are so many contradictory reviews, reports, on which tv to buy, especially amongst the 32" range.. samsung and sony seem to be the ones most at odds with each other, some saying samsung is the bomb and that sony has motion blur, some saying the other way round, some saying 100hz is not worth it, cos apparently the naked eye can only recognise 240hz etc.. some saying full hd is not worth it on a 32" screen if sitting more than 8ft away etc, some saying you cant even notice full hd unless you get a 42" screen or above.. its enough to drive anyone crazy lol

I have cancelled my order once, and am still at odds whether to buy a 720p or a fullhd for 32" i amthinking 720p, also is 24p that important? do i get the samsung LEA456A or the sony V4000?

I think also what doesnt help is all the various suppliers product spec sheets, i.e. the sony v4000, some say it has 24p, some not, some say its 1080p, some not, some say its 15000.1 CR, some say 30000.1 lol.. its such a joke, talk about confuse the consumer, so i just try and get as much info from the suppliers website, i.e. samsung or sony and compare info from there. Also, was reading two expert reviews on the samsung and they were TOTALLY opposite.. so how do you make a uniformed decision??

I dont know why, but i am leaning towards the sony..i just hope that if i do order this one, that it doesnt have the motion blur some people talk about, if it doesnt then i will be very happy and can live with pretty much anything else!

I just wish there was one person who was GOD, and who could prove they were GOD so i could just make my decision based on what the o might one said haha. What is even more frustrating for me, is i have just had my Sony DAV surround sound delivered, and it is awesome for what i need, but am thinking the sammy will look poo and the sony will obviously gel more aesthetically with the DAV... BUT i am still very conscious about all the reports of motion judder.. booo :eek::confused::confused::confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

ricjd

Hey peanuthead

I have found the best thing is to try and find the tv you want up and running somewhere. It won't give you an true idea of what it looks like as most of the time the tvs aren't set correctly, but they are all set up similar. so you can see if the v4000 looks better or worse than the samsung.

I feel that 24ps is important if you ever plan to watch bluray. It's not the motion, as i was watching it on a tv which was reported to suffer from motion blur but with 24ps it looked smoothed. With out 24ps i could see the judder, mainly on panning shots. this is why i now was a set with 24ps, which the v4000 doesn't have

P

peanuthead

Hey peanuthead

I have found the best thing is to try and find the tv you want up and running somewhere. It won't give you an true idea of what it looks like as most of the time the tvs aren't set correctly, but they are all set up similar. so you can see if the v4000 looks better or worse than the samsung.

I feel that 24ps is important if you ever plan to watch bluray. It's not the motion, as i was watching it on a tv which was reported to suffer from motion blur but with 24ps it looked smoothed. With out 24ps i could see the judder, mainly on panning shots. this is why i now was a set with 24ps, which the v4000 doesn't have
Hey ric

Well this is what i did initially, and what steered me AGAINST the Sony was that in store the picture while watching I Am Legend had terrible motion blure, whereas the Sammy doesnt.. but according to the spec sheet the V4000 DOES have 24p... go figure that one out lol.. ya see why i am still so confused. I am just hoping that it was not set up correctly in the store hence the motion blur, but how are you supposed to make a uniformed decision if the tvs are not set up or calibrated correctly? Does my bleedin head in :rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom