Confused 1080i 720p 1366 x 768??

djmuk100

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I am looking to buy a "HD Ready TV" such as a Sony V series or Philips 9830.
(both are supposed to be able to handle 1366 x 768 PC resolution).

I am looking to connect my PC to this via DVI for pictures and then sound output from the PC to my surround sound speakers.

I have already connected my PC up in a shop to the TV's and in the graphics card settings on my PC I can choose "Force 720p or 1080i".

I also have a resolution setting on anther tab where I can choose 1024 x 768, 1366 x 768 1920 x 1080 etc?

Could someone please explain the the above, I know that 720p and 1080i are HD resolutions, but what i do not understand is the resolution side of things on the PC and what I should really be selecting for best quality both from the PC and films played through Windows Media Player? :rolleyes:

Thanks

If you set your PC to the same resolution as the display - 1366x768 - and your display will correctly display this as 1:1 (with no overscan simulation) - then this will deliver the best quality for general PC use, as the display should then display each PC pixel as a single pixel on the display, and provide the clearest PC image.

When it comes to standard def video this is also probably the best bet - as there will only be one scaling process (that the PC performs to scale the 4:3 or 16:9 720x576 video to 16:9 1366x768) for display.

For HD replay of 720/50p or 1080/50i material then the question is a bit more interesting. As this material will need to be scaled to the 1366x768 resolution of your display AND de-interlaced (in the case of 50i stuff) you are basically chosing between the PC scaling and de-interlacing (50i) or the display. The correct answer for this question will depend on whether the PC or display does these processes better.

You should also check that the output refresh rate of your PC is the same as the source video you are playing. You won't get great results playing back 50i or 50p video on a PC outputting at 60i, similarly if you are playing 60i or 60p source video, you don't want the PC running at 50i.

Stephen Neal said:
You should also check that the output refresh rate of your PC is the same as the source video you are playing. You won't get great results playing back 50i or 50p video on a PC outputting at 60i, similarly if you are playing 60i or 60p source video, you don't want the PC running at 50i.

Stephen, as usually you're spot on: only 1:1 refresh or at least an exact multiplier can give optimal results...you can run 50 Hz source at 75 Hz which is acceptable...from your experience, is there an affordable display out there that you know of than can do high quality scaling or should I dump that idea and look for the DVD player with the best scaler???

Kalos Geros said:
Stephen, as usually you're spot on: only 1:1 refresh or at least an exact multiplier can give optimal results...you can run 50 Hz source at 75 Hz which is acceptable...from your experience, is there an affordable display out there that you know of than can do high quality scaling or should I dump that idea and look for the DVD player with the best scaler???

Yep - though 75 Hz is best suited to 25p source material (like movies) or 50i video de-interlaced to 25p (yuck). 50i de-interlaced to 50p will not look so hot at 75p as you will end up with motion judder won't you - as 50 into 75 isn't a nice integer...

'fraid I'm not that experienced in specific display models and their performance as I'm not looking around for myself at the moment. I'm happy with a 50Hz 16:9 CRT at the moment, as the bulk of my viewing is 50Hz video rather than movies.

I'm quite glad I'm not planning to replace my display imminently - as the SD performance of many of the displays on sale is really quite disappointing - or more accurately, it is disappointing watching current SD Freeview and DSat broadcasts on them...

Stephen Neal said:
Yep - though 75 Hz is best suited to 25p source material (like movies) or 50i video de-interlaced to 25p (yuck). 50i de-interlaced to 50p will not look so hot at 75p as you will end up with motion judder won't you - as 50 into 75 isn't a nice integer...

The best results I have ever achieved was playing 60i material from DVD bobbed by Powerd DVD at 60 Hz on my new Xerox LCD monitor - all fields were retained resulting in smear free motion just like on interlaced 60Hz display...Also, pans from a PAL film DVD at 75 Hz were flawles too...I am actually looking for an SD plasma or a prog scan CRT (HD compatible SD plasma being my preffered choice if the price is right)...the hunt goes on... :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom