Conformal coating substitutes

Hi guys, im new here, and new to drones.

I recently bought a fpv tinyhalk II freestyle, and i want to give it a good protection against moisture from wet grass, but here in Brazil i was not able to find the so caled silicon based conformal coating, i just found some acrilic based ones, i dont know, but i think it did not withstand the high temperatures.

Its important to say that i did not plan to make upgrades and solder anything on it, so a permanent solution can be a good choice.
I have seen a guy doing it with clear nail polish on youtube. I want to know more about this possibility and did not found more info about it, so i think someone here may have some experience and knowledge to share.

Thanks!

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Unless the electronics are directly exposed to the elements, I think you are worrying unnecessarily. Conformal coatings are more used in conditions of continual damp or high humidity.

Bear in mind you have a radio receiver and solid state gyros that rely on carefully designed tuned circuits to operate correctly. A coating may change the capacitance of the circuit board and lead to unexpected reduced performance.

Unless the electronics are directly exposed to the elements, I think you are worrying unnecessarily. Conformal coatings are more used in conditions of continual damp or high humidity.

Bear in mind you have a radio receiver and solid state gyros that rely on carefully designed tuned circuits to operate correctly. A coating may change the capacitance of the circuit board and lead to unexpected reduced performance.
Thanks for your answer!
But i have seen dozens of drone expert guys doing it, it is not a normal category of drones, it is an acrobatic one. In this category the boards are directly exposed to the weather, and its quite common to crash it a couple times in 1 flight, and some people say that it burns the boards, if the drone fall on wet grass, snow...
And i live near the ocean so the moisture produced by the waves are salty and are constant in the air here.
Here is an example of expert guy doing it:

I have heard that the components that canot take the coating are the barometer, conections, buttons and the camera image sensor, but the model i got dont have autoleveling, so i think it doesnt have the barometer.

But thank you anyway!

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Acrylic based is probably safer in that case. Just cover exposed parts and avoid parts you listed. Be careful around the motors, as it's possible to unbalance them or damage the bearings.

Bubblin

Just put the flight controller and receiver in a balloon, screw or mount via a caddy and its far more waterproof than that stuff mentioned above,

Salty air won't degrade the electronics in the air over the short flying time, that takes months of constant exposure to rain.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom