1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Conflicting info. What do you advise ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by roadtorode, Jul 25, 2002.

1. roadtorode

roadtorode

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had just added a MJ acoustics Pro50 to my existing setup which is:
    Marantz SR4200, Marantz DVD 4100OSE, Sky digibox, Panasonic VCR, Dynaudio Audience 50 fronts (left over from old audio-only system) on stands, Eltax HT2 bipolar rears on stands, B&W CC6 centre.

Some advice says define these speakers as LARGE as they are all full range (including the smallish eltax ?), whilst others say define them all as SMALL when adding the sub.

What do you advise ?

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    Depends how you want to set them via bass management.

You can either set ALL speakers to SMALL and all bass to SUB or have the Front left & right set to LARGE, all others to SMALL, bass to SUB&MAIN, (BOTH or LFE/MAIN ,depending how the amp terms it).

Choose what sounds best to you. Personally I´d use all small, all bass to sub.:)

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    So would I

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I like all my speakers LARGE. As Jase says it's a matter of taste or depends on the actual capabilities of the speakers.

5. roadtorode

roadtorode

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies. The Marantz 4200 is fairly basic in this respect and allows only:
    FRONT L or S
    CENTRE L or S
    SURROUND L or S
    SUB ON or OFF
    I shall experiement on the final sound, but the centre is very warm, the fronts have reasonable base for standmounts, whilst the rears are pretty small, so I'll probably end up with a mixture.

The amp also has an LFE ATTENUATION option, which I shall currently leave OFF or 0 ?? Any advice welcomed here also.

Finally, as I am using an LFE output for the sub, should the filter on the sub be turned to full, at which point it appears to be marked at 'LFE' or have I missunderstood it ? Is the variable filter for when the sub is connected via the speakers, or does it apply in all cases ? The manual isn't very clear on this one either !

6. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    I would have thought you would leave the LFE Attenuation OFF.

The crossover point of the sub depends on speaker settings. If they are all set to SMALL set the crossover to maximum. If you have the Fronts set to LARGE you would need to adjust it down to a level where it blends well with the front speakers. e.g 50hz.

Depends on the sub but some have mode switches, high & low level volume controls, crossovers etc etc