Conflicting advice from Sky

Ojustabo

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, was a Sky subscriber up until around September last year.

Have decided to use my Sky HD box for freesat. I have the newer white card.

Turning the box on told me "This is the wrong viewing card for this set top box. Insert the correct Sky viewing card. Call xxxxxxxx for assistance"

On browsing forums and phoning Sky, I was initially told as I had the white card, I didn't need to purchase a freesat card from them.

They sent a signal to update it. I then emailed as it hadn't updated and they responded that they had sent another signal.

After a week of still getting the same message, I phoned back and this time got someone who told me my card was deactivated last year when I cancelled my subscription, and that the only way they can re-activate it is by opening up my account again with a subscription. As I don't want to do that, they then said my only option is to purchase a freesat card off of them.

Can anyone confirm who at Sky is giving me the correct advice please?

thanks

Last edited:
Is the message coming up on all channels ?

If cards are completely cancelled (due to financial issues etc.) then they cannot be reactivated. If you have merely cancelled your subscription and not used the card for some time then the card has "fallen asleep" due to them not receiving the "keep alive" signal and will usually wake up again if left in a Sky box (either turned on or in standby BUT NOT turned off at mains) connected to the satellite dish within 72 hours.

However if it does not wake up then as it is a cancelled subscription card and not a FreesatFromSky card then Sky are under no obligation whatsoever to do anything, you will need to purchase a new FreesatFromSky card for £25.

However if it does not wake up then as it is a cancelled subscription card and not a FreesatFromSky card then Sky are under no obligation whatsoever to do anything, you will need to purchase a new FreesatFromSky card for £25.

Thanks, was simply me cancelling the subscription.

While £25 (thought they said £20 but might have heard wrong) is not that much money, considering I only want it for Ch4 HD which is available free of charge on freeview, personally, if it's just a matter of them flicking a switch etc to reactivate my card, I think it's a bit of a con.

If my card needs replacing then fair enough.

Just had the following response from Sky, emailed them just before I posted here.

The Freesat from Sky must have the wrong info in it's web page

Dear xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you for contacting Sky Help Centre.

In order to view freesat channels you must purchase a card at a cost of 20.00(GBP). Although the card is a white card, it has the information on it that provides the freesat channels. The card you already have was a sky subscription card and has no channels as it was cancelled. it can only be reactivated if you reinstate your actual sky subscription. It cannot therefore be turned into a freesat card.

If you would like a card you can call 08442411602 or log onto Replacement Freesat Card where you can purchase one online.

I hope this helps with your enquiry.

Thanks
xxxxxx

I'd heard it was £20, but I wouldn't bet on which is right, e-mail or web site.:D

I'd heard it was £20, but I wouldn't bet on which is right, e-mail or web site.:D

True :D

I just clicked on the Replacement Freesat Card Link in my above post and then clicked on FAQs.

8 lines up from the bottom, entitled "Do I have to pay for a new viewing card" also has them at £20.

Note the faq 5 lines from the top with the same title, opens up a different faq that doesn't tell you the price :rolleyes:

Of course when I try to get a card online, it insists on asking for my existing viewing card number, then tells me I don't need to purchase another one :suicide:

Me again :D

Don't like this in their Freesat T&C

For security reasons Viewing Cards may be inactivated from time to time. In this situation, if you wish to continue to receive all the encrypted Free to View channels, you will have to purchase a new viewing card at our then applicable standard charge. If possible, viewing card inactivations will be advertised on your television screen.

Which basically says, whenever they feel like it, they can make me buy another card :thumbsdow

Me again :D

Don't like this in their Freesat T&C

Which basically says, whenever they feel like it, they can make me buy another card :thumbsdow

This basically happens when the encryption is changed. The last cards lasted over 5 years and the ones before that over 4 years. Is there no minimum guarantee in the terms and conditions - the last two versions of cards had minimum guarantees and free replacement of cards within that term? The encryption method has to be regularly changed due to Sky's contract with NDS (the encryption providers) to make it more difficult for hackers.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom