Confirmed, US Xbox 360s will upscale DVDs to 720p

brain_stew

Established Member
Reaction score
Taken from www.xbox.com it looks like the 360 will indeed upscale DVD movies.
Xbox.com said:
Watch your DVD movies in glorious 720p from the get go.

Here's a direct link aswell. Quite a nice feature to have and it looks like the 360 is indeed quite a competant DVD player.

I thought it was illegal for DVDs to be upscaled via component? Something about the DVD forum specifying HDMI or DVI with HDCP as a requirment.

Kopite4Ever said:
this isnt suprising in all honesty, wether it does a good job is a different story

Well last I heard there was some confusion whether or not it would be allowed over component but this obviousley clears it up. I would imagine the scaler is quite capable, all games will be using it to upscale or downscale if necessary and considering most people will still be playing in 480i it has to be atleast decent.

This links to the US site - do you think it might be different for the European version?? Can't find anything on the UK site.

Bit worried this could end up the same as the orignal 'Xbox won't output in 720p but the US one will'!!

I imagine they all will according to the description of the Component cable of gameplay.com it states that it will allow dvds to play at 720p

thats really good news for me! It better be in the EU, im sure it will. Whats the point of disabling the EU ones this time as we are HD ready now!? and if the games are running at HD why on earth would they both to have the hassle of disabling the dvd at 720p?

I was going to get an upscaling dvd player this winter to sit alongside my sammy and 360, but now i can save a few bob and get some more games! woo hoo

Chris White said:
thats really good news for me! It better be in the EU, im sure it will. Whats the point of disabling the EU ones this time as we are HD ready now!? and if the games are running at HD why on earth would they both to have the hassle of disabling the dvd at 720p?

I was going to get an upscaling dvd player this winter to sit alongside my sammy and 360, but now i can save a few bob and get some more games! woo hoo
Me too mate, shelved the idea of getting an upscaling player, I'm confident the 360 will suffice for my DVD watching, will be putting the cash towards a nice new AV cabinet :thumbsup:

thats really surprising. AFAIK, that goes against the rules of the DVD forum.

Shh, lets keep quiet until we have our machines just in case they forgot :)

edit: reasonable 720p DVD playback would mean I can get rid of my DVD player (or at least into the spare room). One box down.

Reasonable movie streaming via XP connect would mean I can get rid of my xbox 1 as well. Two boxes down.

I hope so :D

Sting King said:
Me too mate, shelved the idea of getting an upscaling player, I'm confident the 360 will suffice for my DVD watching, will be putting the cash towards a nice new AV cabinet :thumbsup:

roll on 6 weeks! ill start to lose unused AV eq soon as well! Bye bye dvd player, bye bye xbox 1, bye bye my misses! whoops! shes gotta stay here :hiya:

Great news, its the least MS can do as theyre not releasing hddvd for a while (if at all). However being a cynical git, I reckon theyll disable it for us chumps in Europe. If we get shafted again I'll be so annoyed

mal600908 said:
:confused: I am sure I have just read on the GB site it will play movies at 480p

Yep - have a look HERE.

Says 480p DVD playback!!

Say it ain't true! :lease:

It's probably an error as Pal dvds would be 576i/p.... unless we are really gonna be shafted and it refers to ntsc progressive(480p) only with pal interlaced (576i). Just like the slimline ps2 only outputs ntsc dvds progressive. That would be very mean.

they better not shaft us, however if the worse comes to the worse, hopefully some of our more techy friends on the web might find a soft mod? that wont get you banned"! PLEASeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Why O Why do they think we live in the frickin dark ages. Cant they leave it as 720p same as them Jeez makes me mad :mad:

Matt

or you can simply import a 360 from the US.

I'm sure things will all become clearer in the weeks to come but I'll be importing a 360 if it offers better functionality than the European version.

WSB said:
or you can simply import a 360 from the US.

I'm sure things will all become clearer in the weeks to come but I'll be importing a 360 if it offers better functionality than the European version.
Ditto

Matt

PS Mods might want to alter thread heading :thumbsdow

Well, to me all this has done is muddy the waters even more. To me it is completely illogical that PAL dvds would be displayed in 480p, which is an NTSC standard. My hunch is that is a misprint, in which case we STILL have no firm evidence one way or the other.

Typical Microsoft. We were supposed to get a list of backwards compatible games by now as well.

So the same site has two conflicting statements, well done Microsoft. When it says DVDs in 720p it doesn't mention what connection, could this mean this feature will only be unlocked if they release a HDMI cable? Please let it not be so because if it does upscale it will save me a few bob.

Well, strictly speaking, it's not the same site - while there are common items, the US and UK sites differ in content and structure. The 720p reference will not refer to an HDMI cable as MS has no plans to release one at the moment. The 480p reference must be a mis-quote on the UK writers behalf.

Reading this thread made me so angry! Can't believe they would make the mistake they did with XBox 1 (where non-US HD output was disabled)

Sent the following to XBox customer support - doubt I'll get an answer, but thought at least I'd vent my feelings:

Xbox team,

Please can you confirm that the UK website version is wrong (please!!!!!!)?

US site:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/xbox360/morethangames.htm

"Watch your DVD movies in glorious 720p from the get go"

UK site:

http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/hardware/x/xbox360componenthdcable/

"Progressive-scan DVD playback in 480p"

Surely, given the advent of HD in the UK (particularly Sky's announcement of a HD service from next year), we are going to be able to watch our DVD's on our HD TV's in the UK too?

Microsoft isn't actually going to go to the trouble of disabling this on the UK Xbox, is it? (as it unwisely did with HD output on Xbox 1?)

For an example of the initial feedback on this point:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256882&page=2&pp=15

This is a chance for the Xbox 360 to replace 2 boxes (video game and HD output DVD player) under the TV's in the UK - why would you not take it, and increase your sales audience? This will simply increase the desire of people to (a) import or (b) modify their consoles.

Please can you clarify/explain?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom