Confirmed: COD MW2 £32 at Asda

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesnt cost anything to pre-order instore, and if online prices do drop they wont do it till the actual day of release meaning you wont get it on release day or in reality till the following monday-tuesday.

Im happy enough with my £36 at tesco pre-order.

Do Asda, Tescos, etc. let you pre-order the hardened or prestige editions or is it just the standard one? I'm not bothered about the NVGs but I was wondering about getting the hardened version just for COD1 but I dunno if it's worth the extra 10 quid - the youtube vids of COD1 look a bit "dated" (ie. rubbish).

Do Asda, Tescos, etc. let you pre-order the hardened or prestige editions or is it just the standard one? I'm not bothered about the NVGs but I was wondering about getting the hardened version just for COD1 but I dunno if it's worth the extra 10 quid - the youtube vids of COD1 look a bit "dated" (ie. rubbish).

I think they just do the standard edition mate...I was thinking about getting the hardned for the COD1 Download but just thought if IW stick to their game plan they'll release it on the store and charge you £5/£10 for it...Just to get you to pay more money to them!! :suicide:

Just called Watford store and they are doing pre-orders. I will still have to queue with the rest of the midnight saddos if I want to, but I am guaranteed a copy. No mention of a seperate till either.
I do not finish work till about 11pm that night anyway, so may pre-order it and have a shufty on down about 1.30am. For WAW I queued from 11pm and got served about 12.45am, but one of my mates went down at 1.30am walked straight up the the counter and bought one! :mad:
The lady I spoke to said she had still not heard about what price they are doing it at yet.

After reading this and the other Asda thread, I thought it best to pop in to Asda and pre-order MW2. When I asked the women behind the entertainment counter, she said no to pre-ordering any games and clearly said they have have never done any such things.

I might try and ring the store tomorrow, fingers crossed I get through to someone who knows what there talking about.

For ref, the store is the new Asda in leckwith Cardiff

Can anyone confirm any Norh East Asda's doing pre-orders? I have two stores within ten minutes of me that are open 24/7 so I'm guessing one of these will do them. Will pop in over the weekend I think.

Have just been in to my closest Asda to pre-order MW2. I haven't left with 100% confidence...

I asked the guy if they were taking pre-orders, he said yes. I was asked to scribble my name and telephone number down on a scrap piece of paper and he gave me a receipt out of a box of many that were already printed out. He was either new or a bit 'slow' cos he had to ask another colleague all the questions I was asking him. There is apparently no official list yet and he was told to write my details in the entertainment desks handover book. Here are a couple of questions I asked and the unconvincing replies...

Will this GUARANTEE me a copy as I was in the other week and heard a woman complaining you hadnt kept her a copy of FIFA she'd pre-ordered?
*Hesitation*...erm, I think so....

Will there be a seperate till for processing pre-orders or will we have to que with the non pre-orders?
Not sure, we only have one till behind here (the entertainment desk). [I could clearly see two plus there customer services till is behind there].

Do you know what price it will be yet?
No, not till day of release [I wasn't expecting any other response here really]

All in all I'm not fully convinced by Asda's pre-order system. My details are on a small scrap piece of paper that he has to leave in a handover book. I'm expecting them to go 'walkies'. The fact that I have a receipt still doesn't convince me. I think I'll wait a week or so and speak to someone else - I think it helps speaking to the right people in these situations.

I think I'll wait a week or so and speak to someone else - I think it helps speaking to the right people in these situations.

Think you are spot on there. They have only just started doing pre-orders and a lot of people will know little about it in stores yet. I'm not saying it's acceptable but you'd be amazed how many people work in large supermarkets and even if everyone gets a full and accurate brief on a new process half of those people will go away not fully understanding what they have to do. Supermarkets are like little villages in there own right even when closed. They seem so simple as a customer but it is really tough from the other side of the cash desk as it were in terms of how they are managed. I don't work in an Asda supermarket btw;).

I don't get why people are so worried about pre-orders etc. I'm on hols that week and i'm gonna do my big shop at my local Asda store (I don't work there) at about 11pm and then collect a copy on the way out. There will be enough stock to meet demand on the night of release, it's a day or 2 later that you will start to struggle unless you wanna pay £50ish.

Last edited:
slinky u can sort me out a copy if i miss out?! :D

I got a printed receipt also Travid, and they scanned the barcode on the sheet like mentioned in the other thread you posted a link to. I'm sure it'll be fine - it just didn't seem efficient and the staff weren't as confident with what they where doing as they are in Game and Gamestation etc if you catch my drift. But as mentioned, it's a relatively new process for Asda so there's always going to be a learning curve isn't there.

No doubt Asda will either be the cheapest or price match the cheapest competition so I'm happy I've got a pre-order with them. If it falls through I pre-ordered a copy at Game a month ago which I'm confident will be there for me if I need it - even if it's a tenner more I know I'll get good value out of the game because I will no doubt be hammering it for the next year or two.

Game seem to be also doing the game half price if you trade in certain games link below.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/ps3-game-previews/1098805-get-cod-mw2-half-price-when-you-trade-cod4-select-others-game.html

So if Game sell for £55 you'd get it for £27.50

Might be worth buying one of those games listed on the cheap so you can get the half price deal - the only game I've got in that list is COD4 and I'm not trading that in ever.

I'm a bit worried that if Asda get too many pre-orders they're unlikely to offer any launch deals.

I think i might have sorted my pre-order......Phoned Asda and they are taking pre orders, i then phoned Game and they are also taking pre orders in store (asda and game next to each other) Neither store is taking any money yet as they are unsure of the price.......I am also buying a used copy of MW from ebay for £10............

Plan is if asda refuse to do an offer i'll pop over to game with MW trade it in and fingers crossed pick up MW2 for around £27......and if asda's offer is really good then i'll give the spare copy of MW to my brother-inlaw, which will put me in the wifes good books...........WIN WIN....

My plans never work, but you never know

I think i might have sorted my pre-order......Phoned Asda and they are taking pre orders, i then phoned Game and they are also taking pre orders in store (asda and game next to each other) Neither store is taking any money yet as they are unsure of the price.......I am also buying a used copy of MW from ebay for £10............

Plan is if asda refuse to do an offer i'll pop over to game with MW trade it in and fingers crossed pick up MW2 for around £27......and if asda's offer is really good then i'll give the spare copy of MW to my brother-inlaw, which will put me in the wifes good books...........WIN WIN....

My plans never work, but you never know

You'll be lucky there going on there at the moment for £24+ !! :eek:

I reckon your plan will work Sannan. I'd be very surprised if Asda aren't the cheapest (certainly cheaper than Game anyway), so I think your heading for the good books...

I pre ordered mine yesterday. I got served by this middle aged lady and she couldn't find the MW2 pre order sheet it's only until I pointed out that's it she found it :rolleyes: is it just me or do you prefer to be served by younger people who are in the know on these things? I mean last time I got served by her she told me their was no PS3 slim's it's only when I asked another member of staff their reply was yes we do and went and got me one. I hope this pre order goes well I have my 10% staff discount to use on it too :)

I pre-ordered mine at my local Asda earlier on this evening. The lady on the counter was very helpful and did seem to know what this fuss was all about so that's re-assuring. She had a laminated card with all pre-orders available for all the platforms near the till (even though there wasn't much in the way of advertising for this service anywhere else in the store so maybe Asda are trialling it to see if this will catch on). After giving me a receipt to confirm my pre-order she wrote it down in a big book and I'm third on the list for ALL pre-orders (not just for MW2!) so fingers crossed I shouldn't have any problems picking up a copy from there on launch day... if I decide to buy it from there :D

I know this wont be popular:rolleyes:;) and it is intended to purely give a differing opinion on mutliple pre-orders. From a certain perspective it could be seen as a little annoying that people feel the need to pre-order from lots of different places with no intention of buying more than one copy of the game. Real people will miss out on getting a copy of a game that is bound to sell out because of "pre-orders". I'm not worried about profit for retailers, I just don't think it's fair on the general public.

Do you call up every cab firm in your town when you need a taxi and just get in the one that gets to your door quickest as well;)?

I know this wont be popular:rolleyes:;) and it is intended to purely give a differing opinion on mutliple pre-orders. From a certain perspective it could be seen as a little annoying that people feel the need to pre-order from lots of different places with no intention of buying more than one copy of the game. Real people will miss out on getting a copy of a game that is bound to sell out because of "pre-orders". I'm not worried about profit for retailers, I just don't think it's fair on the general public.

Do you call up every cab firm in your town when you need a taxi and just get in the one that gets to your door quickest as well;)?

I've only pre-ordered from one place for just that reason and also because I'm not a big fan of the pre-order process.

I get the feeling that all Asda (and possibly other stores) will do is order a specific set amount per store plus maybe a multiple of the number of pre-orders they've received, ie. the number of pre-orders roughly indicates the approximate level of interest there is in a game so they can estimate the demand of "impulse" buys there might be... otherwise from a marketing perspective, why would a shop allow you to order something (and for them to make a commitment to the customer) but not ask for any commitment (ie. a deposit) from the customer in return.

I've only pre-ordered from one place for just that reason and also because I'm not a big fan of the pre-order process.

I get the feeling that all Asda (and possibly other stores) will do is order a specific set amount per store plus maybe a multiple of the number of pre-orders they've received, ie. the number of pre-orders roughly indicates the approximate level of interest there is in a game so they can estimate the demand of "impulse" buys there might be... otherwise from a marketing perspective, why would a shop allow you to order something (and for them to make a commitment to the customer) but not ask for any commitment (ie. a deposit) from the customer in return.

Yeah wasn't aiming at you. It's just that i'd been thinking it as I read through this thread and when a new post was written it motivated me to post what I thought. That's why I didn't quote you.

As for pre-orders affecting the amount ordered by Asda, trust me it is far too late for that. They don't ring up activision the week before release and say "we'd like xxxxx thousand please". The stock that the really big retailers like Tesco/Asda etc are getting will have been ordered a long time ago. They are far more likely to use the sales figures they already have from previous releases in their own sales history of COD4/5 then add on a forcasted percentage increase in sales for the new release. The forecasted increase will come from comparison sales from other releases like Fifa10 compared to Fifa 9 (used purely as an example in this case) as well as relying of the ability of the relevant buyers to predict how well a new release will sell. I'd say COD6 is a no brainer.

Edit: The above was written whilst I was under the influence of red wine, beer and whisky so apologies if it comes across a little pretentious. This was not intended although it does come naturally when i'm a bit tipsy:beer::zonked::oops:!

Last edited:
I have pre ordered my copy already but if I don't pick it up at midnight and go to the store early morning on release day would I have any problems getting hold of a copy? They surely won't sell your reserved copy to someone else surely?

Asda are now doing a cheap 24 hours PES2010 offer for £26, they also done a Fifa offer and one for Operation Flashpoint so it does seem extremely likely a MW2 cheap 24 hour offer will be occuring too.

Last year they were by far the cheapest for WaW so its worth trying to get a Pre-order from them above anywhere else IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom