Configuring Receiver for casual TV viewing.

DodgeTheViper

Reaction score
I've got myself a MA MASS 5.1 speaker system with a Yamaha RX-V479 Receiver. It's to be used with my TV but i don't want to have to use the Receiver all the time. For example, when i get up in the morning and plonk the TV on for the news, using the TV's own internal speakers will be fine.

So should i connect all my sources to the receiver, then one HDMI out to the TV. With AV passthrough will SKY come through to the TV with the receiver off ?
Then for movie watching, receiver on but then mute the TV's own volume so there is no overlap.

Connect all sources to TV ?

It's been a good while since I've done this stuff on a TV.

Cheers

The receiver has HDMI passthrough in standby abilities so ensure it is configured to passthrough the SKY HDMI signal while in standby. If using HDMI Cpntrol and ARC then the TV should automatically switch to its own speakers while the receiver is in standby.

You should try to avoid connecting sources to a TV if wanting discrete multichannel surround sound. Most TVs cannot passthrough multichannel audio so you get nothing more than stereo from external sources passing their audio through the TV. I think Sony the only manufacturer to fascilitate multichannel passthrough on their TVs? Even this would be limited to SD formats. The multichannel output of TVs is usually restricted to the audio associated with content accessed via the TV's tuners or SMART apps.

Last edited:
Fantastic.

And when the receiver is on will the TV speakers also output audio ?

I've a Samsung TV and use HDMI ARC alongside HDMI Control. This automates the speaker switching. While the receiver is in standby then the TV automatically switches to its own internal speakers, but while the receiver is not in standby then the TV automatically switches to 'RECEIVER' for its speakers and outputs any audio sourced via the TV to the receiver. This is how it is supposed to work, but can't comment on how effective it will be using different hardware to that which I use?

Additionally, the receiver doesn't passthrough the audio while not in standby. The setting only effects the receiver while in standby and only video is passed through while not in standby. The setting in question is 'STANDBY THROUGH' which can be found within the HDMI settings of the receiver. Turn this setting ON and you can passthrough any HDMI source while the receiver is in standby. HDMI source switching will also continue to work while the receiver is in standby.

Great,

Now I know what to do with cabling, just one HDMI to TV from receiver and configure from there.

Cheers very much

You might get different result to Dante, it seems very dependant on what makes/models of TV/AVR you have: I have my second room set up using HDMI control/ARC, however if the AVR is in standby then turning the TV on will turn the AVR on anyway, you would then have to grab the AVR remote to put it back into standby.

I'm find with this (everyone can just use the TV remote, so no need for any 'fancy' remotes). The only bit that isn't automated is my old XLS200 sub, so I've put that through a remote control plug, so the sub only comes on if I press the button on the separate lighting/subwoofer remote. As you say, it's not like you want the full home cinema effect just for the morning news.

This is with a Marantz AV1605 and Panasonic 39" LCD (can't remember the model number bought last year). As it works so well this is why I'm tempted to get an SR6010/7010 to use in my main set up as the TV is the same Panasonic LCD just a larger version.

I gave up on ARC in the end as it was just fiddly, yes I know its supposed to work but the amount of times I had to go into the menu to turn back on the output to the amp. This was Panny and Yammy combo so in the end my TV is hooked up via optical.

My remote is programmed to switch everything on (and off) so I have not bothered with TV sound speakers for years now.

Even to watch the news in the morning still sounds better through the AV speakers and it won't necessarily use all the speakers anyway unless you are using some weird processing.

You might get different result to Dante, it seems very dependant on what makes/models of TV/AVR you have: I have my second room set up using HDMI control/ARC, however if the AVR is in standby then turning the TV on will turn the AVR on anyway, you would then have to grab the AVR remote to put it back into standby.

I'm find with this (everyone can just use the TV remote, so no need for any 'fancy' remotes). The only bit that isn't automated is my old XLS200 sub, so I've put that through a remote control plug, so the sub only comes on if I press the button on the separate lighting/subwoofer remote. As you say, it's not like you want the full home cinema effect just for the morning news.

This is with a Marantz AV1605 and Panasonic 39" LCD (can't remember the model number bought last year). As it works so well this is why I'm tempted to get an SR6010/7010 to use in my main set up as the TV is the same Panasonic LCD just a larger version.

The STANDBY SYNC setting onboard the receiver can be used to counter the effects of HDMI CEC on power management. Setting STANDBY SYNC on the Yamaha receiver to OFF will prevent any device using HDMI control from having any effect upon the receiver's standby status even if HDMI Control and ARC are activated.

Both Denon and Marantz receivers also have similar options that prevent HDMI Control from effecting the receiver's standby status.

I just need to give it a go.

At least I know just one HDMI out from receiver, which leaves me more space for other cabling.

TV is a Sony 65" UHD.

Both Denon and Marantz receivers also have similar options that prevent HDMI Control from effecting the receiver's standby status.

Sounds like something that may well help Dodge, though I wouldn't use it in my set up as I'm happy for the AVR to come on with the TV.

I just use my avr and speakers for all viewing. Got them so may as well use them. Does not make the news sound worse and simplifies the use of the system as do not need to rely on hdmi control which is not the most reliable system. Control it all using a harmony remote so just like using the tv remote on its own but with better sound.

Cheers for that.

I just don't want to use the whole system for some viewing.

Cheers for that.

I just don't want to use the whole system for some viewing.

I don't get it though. I appreciate if you have to use a myriad of remotes and get it but if you have a one button remote that switches stuff on it I find it far more reliable.

Modern amps will only use what they need to drive the front pair\centre as required by the source.

It's to reduce the unnecessary 'on' and 'off' of a system that I don't need or want.

I've got myself a MA MASS 5.1 speaker system with a Yamaha RX-V479 Receiver. It's to be used with my TV but i don't want to have to use the Receiver all the time. For example, when i get up in the morning and plonk the TV on for the news, using the TV's own internal speakers will be fine.

So should i connect all my sources to the receiver, then one HDMI out to the TV. With AV passthrough will SKY come through to the TV with the receiver off ?
Then for movie watching, receiver on but then mute the TV's own volume so there is no overlap.

Connect all sources to TV ?

It's been a good while since I've done this stuff on a TV.

Cheers

Hi Dodge,

try to get some info in manuals, page arround 117 ...

Cheers

Cheers,

I have been reading the manual while canvassing on here.

Thanks

Cheers,

I have been reading the manual while canvassing on here.

Thanks

Sorry but I do not know all the HDMI hardwear conecctions.

How many are there conected together?

TV + AVR + ?

SKY box + BluRay Player + Media Player to Receiver.

Receiver to TV

If you use a HDMI splitter before Receiver and skip the Receiver with one HDMI directly to TV. Another goes to Receiver. Than connect the TV and Receiver with Optical/Digital.

But than what you would lose?

This is only my thinking :)

I hope that would be some help ...

Thanks for that but I could possibly not need a splitter and additional optical cable. I'll try other options then may come back to yours.

Cheers

No you wouldn't there's no point as that only works for one device.

The amp will pass through the last watched HDMI normally so as Dante said just disable the Standby Sync. In fact you don't even need to use ARC if you are only going to use amp with blu ray and media player.

I'll need the receiver on for some SKY viewing, like Box Sets etc.

Simply turn the STANDBY THROUGH function ON onboard the receiver and the receiver acts like an HDMI switch while in standby. You can select any HDMI source and it will be passed through in its entirety to your TV via the receiver. The receiver would play no part in the content audio or video processing while it is in standby and the receiver would simply be functioning as an HDMI switch while the receiver is in standby and while the STANDBY THROUGH function is engaged. You can even select different HDMI sources to be passed through via the receiver's remote while the receiver is in standby. The feature is not limited to the last wayched HDMI source prior to putting the receiver into standby and any HDMI source can be selected while the receiver is in standby.

Although when in standby like this it can be surprising how much power it will be using acting as a switch. What is the having the system turning on and off?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom