Configuring my router's firewall for Live

NinjaKi11a

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have a BT Voyager 2000 wireless ADSL modem/router with upgraded firmware. Unfortunately none of the firewall settings will work with Live. Does anyone know how I can manually configure the settings so I can play on-line and also get a 'Medium' level of firewall protection?

Cheers.

I've looked on the Xbox Live website myself, but they say nothing about which ports are used, possibly becasue each game uses different ports, I don't know. However, Live supposedly supports UPnP, but I've never seen it actually work properly on my Netgear router with Live (does work with other UPnP apps).

In the end I just had to put the Xbox in the DMZ to get it to work properly with some games. I know this isn't all necessarily relevant to your problem (unless you also use NAT), but it shows that it's not that easy to find out which ports are being used. I may just have to log all traffic next time I'm online and see what goes where.

For your infoformation the ports used by xbox live are
Port 88 UDP: Send Receive
Port 3074 UDP: Send Receive
Port 3074 TCP: Outbound

These are listed HERE on the Xbox website with some other useful info.

Great stuff. Thanks for the help. I'm pretty clueless about this sort of thing but I reckon I'll have a bash. What I planned to do was copy the routers default 'Medium' level protection except with 88 UDP open to inbound. I'd then have to create new open filters for 3074 UDP and TCP.

Fingers crossed.

Tried these last night and whilst they will allow you to connect with the basic Live service, each individual game seems to use extra ports on top. I was still unable to get online with Ghost Recon 2 and had to go back to using the DMZ. Shame really.

Make sure you have confused port 88 with 80 - that's what I did initially. Also check that for those three ports, both inbound and outbound are open. My firewall now works fine with Live and I also managed to join a Ghost Recon 2 game.

Thanks again for the help guys.

Have since discovered that Ghost Recon 2 also needs 2346-2348 TCP & UDP. I was kind of hoping that all the games would use the same ports as the Live platform is well controlled, but no that would be too simple!

using a DMZ has got to be the best way works for me with a few voice probs this is due to people still connecting to live with high NT stat so I run a DMZ and have opened up the tcp @ udp ports 3074 as for extra port on GR2 thats a new one on me

Yep, ended up using DMZ myself. Each game seems to need different ports and it was getting too much! I've now got both my PS2 and Xbox inb the DMZ using the same IP address. I figure this is the best way and it's very unlikely I'll have both online at the same time...seems to be okay so far.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom