Configuring MCE Remote for Windows Media Player Classic

Maxamus

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I've had a break through!

For those of us who use either Windows Media Player Classic (WMPC) or Windows Media Player Classic Home Cinema (WMPC-HC) within MediaPortal and have been unable to get access to its controls via MCE Remote fear not as I have finally discovered how to do it!!!

This is probably the simplest and easiest way.

The functions we need control over in MediaPortal are: Play, Pause, Stop, Forward, Rewind and Exit.

Right, here's what you need to do. I use WMPC-HC but it's the same process for WMPC.

1. Load up WMPC/WMPC-HC and go to options (view -> options or press O)

2. Click the "Keys" menu in the left plane.

3. Click "Play" in the listed keys and scroll across to the row "App Command". Double click in it (in line with the "Play" column) and a menu will drop out. In that menu select "MEDIA_PLAY".

4. Click "Pause" in the listed keys and scroll across to the row "App Command". Double click in it (in line with the "Pause" column) and a menu will drop out. In that menu select "MEDIA_PAUSE".

5. Click "Stop" in the listed keys and scroll across to the row "App Command". Double click in it (in line with the "Stop" column) and a menu will drop out. In that menu select "MEDIA_STOP".

Now for FFD and RWD you have three options: "small", "medium" and "large". These determine how fast you want to FFD/RWD. I personally use "small" but it's up to which one you want to use.

6. Click "Jump forward (small)" in the listed keys and scroll across to the row "App Command". Double click in it (in line with the "Jump forward (small)" column) and a menu will drop out. In that menu select "MEDIA_FAST_FORWARD".

7. Click "Jump backward (small)" in the listed keys and scroll across to the row "App Command". Double click in it (in line with the "Jump backward (small)" column) and a menu will drop out. In that menu select "MEDIA_REWIND".

Make sure these are the only keys that have text in the “App Command” Columns! If there is any others then remove them!

Now you will be able to Play, Pause, Stop, Forward and Rewind using the media keys on the MCE Remote.

To be able to Exit WMPC/WMPC-HC and return to MediaPortal we need an additional program called "LMRemote". Its what I use to map my Green Button on the MCE remote so when I press it loads MediaPortal.

First we need to choose a key to exit the player. I have chosen "B" on my keyboard to exit the player (you can choose which ever key you like).

Look up "Exit" in the keys option of WMPC/WMPC-HC. Make sure under the "Modifier" column you select "None" in the drop down menu. Then in the "Key" column select "B". That's it. Click Apply.

Now here's what you do in LMRemote:

Download it from here (its Free): LM Gestion : LM Remote KeyMap for Streamzap, Firefly, Firefly Mini, USB-UIRT, TechnoTrend or MCE PC Remote

1 Install.
2. Then in the main window click: "Choose Remote". Select Media Centre Remote.

3 Click "Set up Remote". Untick all of the options

4 click "Choose Blaster". Select "MCE IR Blaster"

5 Where it says "Remote Profiles" make sure "Default" is selected. Then press the "Edit" button. and a remote profile editor window will pop up. You will see a pic of the MCE Remote. Click the "Green Button" on the remote (It will be highlighted in green). In the "Button Options" select "Launch Application" for Type. Then under that it says “Application”. In there browse to MediaPortal folder and select MediaPortal.exe. Press ok.

6 Click the "Red" button on the remote. In the "Button Actions" select "PressKey" for Type. Then under that it says Virtual Key Code. In there choose "B". Press ok.

qqqqqqqqqqqqqqut6.png

Now every time you press the Red button on your MCE Remote, it will close WMPC/WMPC-HC (and when you press the Green Button MediaPortal will load).

I've chosen the Red button on my MCE Remote to emulate key “B” but you can choose any key you like.

Now, you will be able to exit WMPC/WMPC-HC and return to MediaPortal.

You should now have complete control over MediaPortal and will not need to use your keyboard anymore.

I've managed to integrate it all with my Harmony 1000 remote so now I have COMPLETE control of MediaPortal and Windows Media Player Classic Home Cinema.

The 2nd Screen is just a back up of all the commands i use on my MCE Remote.
The controls on the 1st screenshot are the ones i use plus i have configured some of the hard keys such as the bottom left/right keys to forward/rewind, Chan + launches MediaPortal and Chan - closes WMPC-HC.

Tip 1:
You can set up other keys like above for other controls under “Keys” in WMPC/WMPC-HC should you wish to do so. Pretty much any action you want to do is listed in the Keys options.

For Example, if you want to turn on and off subtitles, choose a key and then alter the options in WMPC/WMPC-HC so that the key for “Subtitles on/off” corresponds with that keyboard key you have chosen. Then in LMRemote map a button on the MCE Remote (same procedure as above) to that key.

In essence, what you are doing is mapping keyboard keys to the remote.

You could map every key if you wanted to using LMRemote and configuring the keys in WMPC/WMPC-HC to match. This has the added benefit of using WMPC/WMPC-HC as stand alone in explorer rather than just in MediaPortal but as most of us use it within MediaPortal this shouldn't be necessary.

Tip 2:
Rather than having profiles and Hotkeys in ATi CCC to change between 60Hz (desktop) and 24Hz (movies) just use WMPC/WMPC-HC to it for you when it launches. There is setting in options where you can tell it to change resolution when the film starts. I've set mine to 1920x1080 @ 24Hz. When you close the player it changes the resolution back to what it was.

NOTE:

Don't map a key that is used by another program or another task, as it will no longer work. If you do need to do this then create a separate profile in LMRemote and map a key to switch between the profiles.

Last edited:
Hi Max,

Are you photoshop on OCUK forums? if you are I'm Oxy from there!!! your guide is gonna help me out alot! I think you have solved for me the headache that is changing from 24hz to 60hz.

With your guide I can use kmplayer for DVD playback. Then use MPC to turn to 60hz to watch "TV shows" cough cough.

PS: I want your shinny touch screen remote

Hi Max,

Are you photoshop on OCUK forums? if you are I'm Oxy from there!!! your guide is gonna help me out alot! I think you have solved for me the headache that is changing from 24hz to 60hz.

With your guide I can use kmplayer for DVD playback. Then use MPC to turn to 60hz to watch "TV shows" cough cough.

PS: I want your shinny touch screen remote

Ye its me photoshop mate :hiya:
Ye i think i've made switching between 60Hz and 24Hz a little easier as MPC can now do this automatically. Certainly is better than doing it manually.

I loves me remote. Its made life so much easier :D

Ye its me photoshop mate :hiya:
Ye i think i've made switching between 60Hz and 24Hz a little easier as MPC can now do this automatically. Certainly is better than doing it manually.

I loves me remote. Its made life so much easier :D

ÂŁ280 smackers though :eek:. I will prob buy an MCE remote for now, then sept 2009 ish buy the remote u have. Provided it works with MP, kmplayer, MPC.

lol i got suspended at OCUK for swearing, forgot the stupid forum doesnt auto-filter swearies. If they dont want people to swear they should filter it hehe.... ah drunk posts in General Disscussion. God love erm... :)

ÂŁ280 smackers though :eek:. I will prob buy an MCE remote for now, then sept 2009 ish buy the remote u have. Provided it works with MP, kmplayer, MPC.

lol i got suspended at OCUK for swearing, forgot the stupid forum doesnt auto-filter swearies. If they dont want people to swear they should filter it hehe.... ah drunk posts in General Disscussion. God love erm... :)

I picked it up 2nd hand on this forum for ÂŁ120 :thumbsup:
It works with pretty much everything. I have it working with winamp, MP and WMPC.

Haha you got banned!! OCuk forums have been playing up for me over the last 2 days. Cant post anything sometimes

I was looking for this too :)

However it didn't work for me without LM Remote KeyMap and also LM Remote doesn't seem to work properly. When I first opened it, it asked for a remote model, so I selected MCE remote and the program minimized to system tray. I can't do anything like Maxamus, I can't access anything like Remote Profile Editor.. since the LM Remote is open it goes straight to system tray and all options I have are Exit, Trace level, view live trace and Open config & log folder.

I did change the AppCommand to MEDIA_PLAY and MEDIA_PAUSE etc., but it didn't work without LM Remote which is strangely behaving.
Basically I can't map anything to remote keys.

Any advice?

Thanks

I was looking for this too :)

However it didn't work for me without LM Remote KeyMap and also LM Remote doesn't seem to work properly. When I first opened it, it asked for a remote model, so I selected MCE remote and the program minimized to system tray. I can't do anything like Maxamus, I can't access anything like Remote Profile Editor.. since the LM Remote is open it goes straight to system tray and all options I have are Exit, Trace level, view live trace and Open config & log folder. Select Open Config

I did change the AppCommand to MEDIA_PLAY and MEDIA_PAUSE etc., but it didn't work without LM Remote which is strangely behaving.
Basically I can't map anything to remote keys. These keys should now work with MCE Remote. You dont need LMRemote for this part. These are global/standard media keys which the MCE Remote recognizes so there is no need for a 3rd party software to act as a middle man between WMP and MCE Remote.

Any advice?

Thanks

See my comments above.

You only need to use LMRemote to Exit WMP (by mapping a key on the MCE remote which corresponds with the option in WMP) and to Launch MediaPortal (by maping the Green Button)

Last edited:
See my comments above.

You only need to use LMRemote to Exit WMP (by mapping a key on the MCE remote which corresponds with the option in WMP) and to Launch MediaPortal (by maping the Green Button)

I understand, and I did follow your actually very easy setup
keysey0.png

and it didn't work for me for some reason. Stop button worked from begining and it was already set to MEDIA_STOP, but when I set the other buttons to MEDIA_PLAY and MEDIA_PAUSE my Media Player Classic don't want to work like yours. My system is Vista Ultimate x64 - maybe it has something to do with my issue.

I also have Harmony One and I bought MCE remote with IR receiver just to configure my One remote.

Also, as I mentioned b4 my LM Remote doesn't seem to work properly. I have to run LM Remote KeyMap.exe
image1xj6.png
to get my remote working with MPC. Without it, it just don't wotk. The only button that works is STOP. I also would like to map other keys such as close program, or resize image using 1-9 buttons, but I can't access these extra options - remote profile editor..

Thanks for any advice.

Edit: I found the problem. I downloaded Media Player Classic HC x64 and it worked without LM Remote :) I ended up with MPC-HC x86 as there are no codecs x64 available, however I still want to map some keys using LM Remote. I used this program b4, years ago, but it doesn't seem to work with vista x64.

Thanks

Last edited:
I think the problem for you is Vista. I use Win XP SP3 and it works flawlessly.

Vista is not a problem. It is the program; not written properly for vista :smoke:

Is there any other program like LM Remote so I could try?

Maxamus, could you please tell me your files structure of your LM key mapper in your program files? Where are your profile settings kept? Maybe I could copy your profile files to my program files just to get my remote working like i want. Is it possible?

Ohh, and what do I use the IR emitter for?

Thanks

Maxamus, could you please tell me your files structure of your LM key mapper in your program files? Where are your profile settings kept? Maybe I could copy your profile files to my program files just to get my remote working like i want. Is it possible?

Ohh, and what do I use the IR emitter for?

Thanks

Send me your email address and i'll email you over my LMRemote directory.

IR emitter??????
Not sure what you mean.

Send me your email address and i'll email you over my LMRemote directory.

I can't believe... all I had to do was double click on tray icon :suicide::clap:
Now I can see options, and profile editor :oops::suicide::suicide:

IR emitter??????
Not sure what you mean.

I got something like this along with my MCE remote, it's called IR emitter.
The IR receiver has got two jack holes for this - i think.
dsc01446lg7.jpg

IR receiver
142162383_o.jpg

PS. How can I set Media Portal so that it will be open in external tv (screen 2) instead of pc monitor (screen 1)? Same with MPC-HC - I'd like it to be opened on the tv, not on the monitor.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I can't believe... all I had to do was double click on tray icon :suicide::clap:
Now I can see options, and profile editor :oops::suicide::suicide:
So is it working now???

I got something like this along with my MCE remote, it's called IR emitter.
The IR receiver has got two jack holes for this - i think.
dsc01446lg7.jpg

You dont need to use this unless your hooking it up to Sky or somthing like that. You dont need it just for HTPC use.

IR receiver
142162383_o.jpg

You only need this (reciever) and the remote :thumbsup:

PS. How can I set Media Portal so that it will be open in external tv (screen 2) instead of pc monitor (screen 1)? Same with MPC-HC - I'd like it to be opened on the tv, not on the monitor.

No idea mate.

Thanks.

See my comments in red.

I have no need for HTPC, enough of power consuption at home ;) however I found this Media Portal little annoying, perhaps, it doesn't want to work smoothly with my system. I'm playing with the settings trying to get it working properly.

How did you set MPC-HS as default player, because when I'm trying to do that MPC will open, but it wont play anything.

Is there anything else, like easy file explorer so I could use it on the tv from my sofa?

Thanks

Last edited:
Sorry to sound so dum (I'm still new to this) but I thought MCE Remotes only worked for with Windows XP Media Center Edition and Vista only?

Or is it possible with this method to buy any old MCE remote to use on XP Pro with no media portal in place (well not yet) to do basic things like control Media Player Classic, put the system in standby etc? If yes can anyone reccommend a cheap MCE remote?

As mentioned I use Windows XP Pro with no media portal in place at the moment.

Hmm...annoyingly enough I'm struggling to get this to work with irtrans :( If anyone has made this work..please let me know :)

Hmm...annoyingly enough I'm struggling to get this to work with irtrans :( If anyone has made this work..please let me know :)

I'm at work at the minute so can't check to remind myself but I think all you have to do is check the uIce box, MPC then responds to play, pause etc without further messing, if I remember correctly

annoyingly enough not. Irtrans works fine with Mediaportal and I know the commands are detected by the itrans software. Just missing the link between irtrans and mpc :(

It's actually winLIRC I have ticked and it works fine.

You can configure irtrans to control pretty much any app through key strokes as well, have a look here

Let me ask again. Any one knows what's this for?

dsc01446lg7.jpg

It came with ir receiver

142162383_o.jpg

Last edited:
Read the guide that came with it :)
I think its for controlling other devices such as a sky/virgin box but i may be wrong.

If your using your remote to purely control your PC then it is useless so forget about it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom