• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Configuring LCD Televisions (mine is a Toshiba 37WLT66)

S

shaunflynn

I have recently purchased a Toshiba 37WLT66. I was most dissapionted with the picture until I read the posts on this board about the configuration of the picture (ie contrast, brightness etc).

I have tried some of the suggestions and the picture has greatly improved. I also read on one of the posts about using the THQ utility to do this. I went home last night and got out the kids Toy story 2 DVD. (honnestly it is the kids!)

I used the utility to adjust the settings. However the first test (I think it is for brightness) says that there should be 8 boxes (4 on top 4 below) showing 4 different shades of white, and that I should reduce the brightness until I can see them all. Well I reduced and reduced but all I could see was two (and that was a real push as well).

My question is.. Is the T.V faulty? Is it the DVD player? Is it the connection?
I am very new to this and just want to be sure that everything works as expected.

I am using the T.V above connected by a SCART lead to the Sharp HTM700 Home Cinema system (includes my DVD player!).

Will using a component connection sort this out? I guess getting a new DVD player (HDMI) and using the HDMI input would definately sort it?

I have a host of other questions as well but I have already written too much.

Thanks
Shaun

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
Component is a much better connection, but like all connections is only as good as the weakest link, and in most cases that is the cable.
So many people spend hundreds of pounds on great AV equipment only to ruin the whole experience by using what I call supermarket cable.
For Scart try http://www.discounttv.co.uk/categor..._Fully_Wired_Scart_-_Award_Winner_-_1.0m.html flat cables do not fit in the back of my 37WLT58, don't know about the 66.
They also do Component cables but remember component does not carry sound if that is a problem anyway.
I have not done any price checking, but this site does do free delivery!

jameson_uk

Andy98765 said:
Component is a much better connection, but like all connections is only as good as the weakest link, and in most cases that is the cable.
So many people spend hundreds of pounds on great AV equipment only to ruin the whole experience by using what I call supermarket cable.
I was reading an interesting article about this a week or so ago (will try and dig out the link) but they did raise an interesting point in that whilst this was true for analog cables, there is not the same argument for paying loads for digital cables.

The basic point was that digital signals are just 1s and 0s and not subject to RFI therefore a cheap cable was as fit for purpose as a really expensive one. That said, it went on to suggest you get fairly decent cables as this generally means better build quality and connectors etc.

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
I agree that Digital cables are all 1's and 0's and are not affected so easily. For digital cable I tend to use a basic good quality lead, mainly to get good connections. But with analogue connectivity and that’s what we are taking about here buying very good quality leads does make all the difference, that I have proven to myself and others on numerous occasions.

jameson_uk

Andy98765 said:
But with analogue connectivity and that’s what we are taking about here buying very good quality leads does make all the difference, that I have proven to myself and others on numerous occasions.
Indeed, it is just a shame that when they install sky HD next month, I will not have much use for several cables which cost me an arm and a leg :eek:

Neil Davidson

AVForums Sponsor
In theory RGB (lossless) should be better than component (compressed) but as DVDs are mastered in "component" you miss out some tricky signal conversions that usually have a pretty noticeable impact on the impact quality. RGB inputs also seem to be particulary poor on a number of the Japanese/Korean LCDs which use off the shelf video processing ICs.

Analogue cables do need to be properly shielded and terminated for best performance and this typically leads to increased price for increased performance. This is also true for Digital cables though, also consider the incredible data rate carried on digital cables for HD material!

For shorter lengths there is no need to go mad and spend hundreds on digital cables but once you start to get in to 3m plus the difference in quality between brands will start to be noticable as insertion loss effects are noted.

Like all things though I also believe that the extra build quality of better cables still makes them compelling at shorter lengths.

As far as the calibration question that started this thread - there are a number of factors that could be causing the noted results. One of those could be the THX setup which is notoriously unreliable - they actually vary from release to release.

First thing though - you should increase the brightness until all 8 boxes are visible and then reduce until you can only see four.

Neil

S

shaunflynn

When I brought the TV I also brought a new SCART lead. It is a PROFIGOLD flat cable, it says... 24K gold plated contacts, 99.96% OFC conductor and it has a IAT interference absorber. The lead is 1.5 m in length. All sounds rather lovely! I guess this should be more than adequate?

Regards changing the contrast, I actually can't reduce the contrast enough to see the four colours. I can only just about see two.

Any ideas?

thanks
Shaun

S

shaunflynn

The pdf does not look anything like the patterns I am seeing on the DVD.

However this link shows the pattern I am having a problem with.

http://www.thx.com/mod/products/dvd/contrast.html

Thanks.

Shaun

P.S. Do you know if you can get the THX glasses (for the colour test) over here or will I need to get them from the states?

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom