1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

configuration problems with 6600GT and PT-AE500

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by mardale, Oct 19, 2005.

1. mardale

mardale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm at the end of my tether here, having wasted 51 hours trying to figure this out (they're all recorded on the projector :( ).

If you can help me sort this once and for all I will donate £20 to DEC. :lease:

I have a Panasonic AE500 projector (connected via DVI), the Gigabyte 6600GT (model GV-N66T128VP) and a 15' widescreen TFT (connected via VGA).

EDID data doesn't seem to be getting through from the projector (which may end up as the crux of the problem - I can fiddle to set up both monitors at 1280 x 720 from EDID2 (supposedly the DVD player mode) then switch to EDID1 (supposedly the HTPC mode) and they work in clone mode fine during that session.

When I switch off, the card assigns the lowest possible resolution to both screens, meaning neither show anything - I have to reboot in VGA mode.

I have tried using the drivers that came with the card, Powerstrip's custom driver tool, and various incarnations from guru3d.com - nothing works. I have tried setting the resolutions in Windows, in the NVidia menu and via Powerstrip.

All I want is to be able to switch the HTPC on and either use the projector, or TFT screen or on occasion both at 1280 x 720. I'll worry about Theatertek working at a later date.

I am prepared to format and start again, or do anything people feel is necessary, and as I say, £20 to charity if it ends up working. I get the feeling that this is a problem specific to this card (or drivers) and projector - I have heard that there have been issues with EDID data and NVidia drivers, but that these had been resolved.

So, can anyone help?? :lease:

Matthew

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently had a similiar problem with a 6600GT after a room rearrange. Couldn't impliment simple display switching (i.e. Alt + F5 with ATI). Basically, it went all screwey :D .

Haven't looked at it since but I don't thing it's specific to your card/PJ.

:smoke:

3. mardale

mardale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Kramer - it's encouraging to know it's not specific, means it might even get fixed :smashin:

Can anyone else with similar experiences of resetting resolutions help shed any light on this?

:lease:

Matt

4. RobsterD

RobsterD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I have a similar setup,AE500 connected via DVI @ 1280x720 and a touchscreen TFT @ 800x600 via VGA.XFX 6600GT.
    The TFT is the primary monitor and PJ secondary,with "extend my windows desktop onto this monitor" ticked.
    Running forceware 77.72 drivers,EDID1 750P/50 on the PJ

PowerStrip timing parameters:
    1280x720=1280,440,48,216,720,5,5,20,74418,768

Generic timing details for 1280x720:
    HFP=440 HSW=48 HBP=216 kHz=38 VFP=5 VSW=5 VBP=20 Hz=50

Linux modeline parameters:
    "1280x720" 74.418 1280 1720 1768 1984 720 725 730 750 +hsync +vsync

This works without any problems with TheaterTek set to Monitor 2.
    HTH
    Rob

5. mardale

mardale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Rob, but.....

I have followed your advice and see the following behaviour:

With Powerstrip enabled the projector goes blank and flashes DVI as if it has lost the signal. Neither EDID 1 or 2 work.

Without Powerstrip, (working through the NVidia menu) EDID 1 shows the extended desktop, and registers it as P750/50. This is also a stable situation which returns each time the system is restarted. However, the resolution reported by Windows and the NVidia tool is 1024*768 @ 60Hz.

Perhaps unsurprisingly the TFT screen looks fine, but the projector image is shifted sideways and desktop contents repeat themselves. Going into Advanced Timings on the NVidia toold, the settings are as you have them above, and any attempt the change them is undone when you hit apply. The only difference is that scan rate is quoted as 37.50 rather than the 38 Hz you suggest.

Could this be why the screen is skewed and if so any ideas on how to remedy it?

Thanks for helping - it's much appreciated.

Matt

6. RobsterD

RobsterD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I take powerstrip out of the equation for now,I run PS cos I cant seem to get 50hz with my drivers,what drivers are you using at present.

7. mardale

mardale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rob,

I've done exactly what you've told me to - I've replaced Forceware 81.XX with 77.72 after uninstalling them with Driver Cleaner. It's the same behaviour under both versions as far as I can see. :rolleyes:

Thanks again.

Matt

8. RobsterD

RobsterD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I know I had probs and was forever unplugging the DVI cable(not recommended) but my probs was getting 2 diff resolutions.
    Your setup should be more straight forward with 2 res the same.
    Have you tried just with the PJ plugged in and then use powerstip using my timings ie paste from notepad.
    What happens then.
    Rob

9. mardale

mardale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rob,

Technically the same thing. I can fiddle around to get 750P/50 working over EDID 1, but when I restart it comes back with a blank screen - i.e. out of range. Switching to EDID 2 reveals that the resolution has reverted back to a non-hi-def setting and I have to manually fiddle around in EDID 2 to get it into WIDE720 then switch to EDID 1 to see 750P/50.

This is bugging the hell out of me and I'm not sure if you are right, Kramer. I think this has everything to do with the way the data from the projector is (or isn't) being read by either the 6600GT or the Forceware drivers. This worked fine with my previous ATI card.

:confused: Any more thoughts on this? :confused:

Thanks for your help Rob. :thumbsup:

Matthew

10. RobsterD

RobsterD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Can you delete both displays in device manager and reboot with just the PJ connected @1280x720,my setup is really stable now with no hiccups at all,it works perfectly I know I did spend ages messing.
    How easy would it be to load XP on another drive,fresh install,worth a try as you've exhausted most avenues it would prove wether its a hardware fault
    Rob

11. mardale

mardale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Drastic measures, but after 54 hours of testing I have done almost all of what you are suggesting.

I have already done two fresh installs using different drivers and with/out Powerstrip, with the same effect.

If I leave it on EDID2 @ 1280 x 720 I can view in WIDE720. This resolution sticks no matter what.

If I switch to EDID1 from there (feeding 750P) I can use the resolution fine. BUT, when the HTPC is rebooted while feeding EDID1 it returns the out-of-sync screen. I can switch back to EDID2 from there sometimes, but it's set at 600 x 480 (minimum resolution) and I can no longer select 1280 x 720. Other times I get the out-of-sync screen on both EDID1 and EDID2 and I have to reboot in VGA mode to see anything at all.

It's as if 1280 x 720 is a valid resolution for EDID2 but EDID1 doesn't recognise it at all so the graphics card defaults to the lowest possible resolution which is ironically also not recognised.

This was not a problem with the same hardware using the Radeon card.

I also note that this thread: link is reporting a very similar problem here and over at the Theatertek forums.

I guess all I can do is what I am doing now: trying to remember to switch to EDID1 when I boot up and back to EDID2 before closing down. :(

Thanks for your help Rob, it's much appreciated :smashin:

Matt

12. RobsterD

RobsterD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Just been having a play :)
    Refering to the manual DVI signals such as 525p,625p,hdtv60,hdtv50,or 750p set PJ to EDID1 and any other to EDID2
    With powerstrip enabled I'm using 750p/50hz which is only supported by EDID1,if you enable PS on startup with the above timings and leave PJ on EDID1 wont this cure your prob using my timings.
    Sorry if youv'e already done that I was having a play to see if i could understand your problem a bit more.
    regards
    Rob

13. mardale

mardale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If only it were that simple!!!

I know the manual off by heart now - and yes, what you are suggesting both sounds and should be logical and sensible.

Unfortunately it doesn't work that way, though I know it should.

Leaving the projector on EDID2 lets me maintain 1280 x 720 @ 60 Hz resolving into WIDE720. This sticks after multiple reboots.

Swapping to EDID1 switches the resolution to 750P FOR THE SESSION ONLY. A reboot just shows the out of sync screen as if EDID1 refuses to accept that 1280 x 720 is a valid resolution.

However, if I switch back to EDID2 before restarting it comes back up in WIDE720 with no problem.

When I use your Powerstrip setings and leave it on EDID1 it boots OK, the main desktop on the TFT shows OK and the extended desktop on the projector appears for about two seconds and then goes out of sync with no way to recover it. So near and yet.....

Having checked all over the web, it seems people with identical hardware and software can have very different experiences of incompatibilites with NVidia drivers. Whatever you do, don't try to replicate the problem - trust me, it's asking for trouble :eek:

Matt