1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Configuration issues

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by renardi, May 12, 2003.

1. renardi

renardi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I'm setting up my HCPC but since I'm new to all this I would like to get your opinions about my setup.

My hardware:

Abit NF7-s MB
    1048 MB DDR RAM
    AMD 2000+ XP
    Creative Personal Cinema kit (Geforce2 MX 400 AGP 64MB, AV tuner box, remote control)
    Liteon DVD-ROM 16X/48X IDE
    17inch TFT monitor
    Beamer Infocus X1? (not bought at this time).

Software:

Intervideo DVD
    Intervideo DVR.

I would like to be able to view TV on my TFT as well as on the X1, since it seems to me that it is not good policy to fire up the X1 for viewing e.g. the news for 30min or checking mail.

The problem I can't figure out is that there is only one VGA connector available on my VGAcard and the S-video connector on the AV tuner box seems redundant because the X1 does not HDTV on the S-Video input. The X1 provides a loopthrough VGA connector would this be the way to go? But how would I then cope with the different resolution settings on the TFT (I don't think my TFT supports e.g.720i) and X1 and will the loopthrough work when the X1 is not in operation?

Would I have to buy another VGAcard to connect the TFT or X1 to? I have only one AGP slot so the new card should be a PCI one.

Looking forward to your comments,

Christophe.
    Belgium.

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You would be better off with a new AGP video card - Radeon preferably.

As well as a better picture on your PJ, you'll also have dual outputs allowing both PJ & TFT to be used independently/cloned etc...

The graphics card will have DVI & VGA connectors, but with the included adapter, you'll have 2x VGA outputs if that's what you need.

Do a search here under multiple monitors etc... loads of info about setting up, recommendations etc...

:smoke:

3. renardi

renardi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Kramer,

What TV-tuner card should I consider, or should I go for the All in wonder?

Christophe.

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't recommend an AIW - no dscaler compatibility AFAIK.

I use a Pinnacle Rave but the newer breed seem to be better according to most here.

Have a look at the sticky up top, a few mentioned there, inc. the FLI etc...

5. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    It's got to be worth seeing if you can get the Nebula DigiTV card wokring in Belgium. if you can get normal BBC channels there, you may be able to pickup the digital terrestrial stuff from here.

I'm afraid I don't know if you have DVB-T transmissions in belgium.