Question Configuration help please.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Turnitup, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Turnitup

Turnitup
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have audiolab 8200cd 8200a 8200p.
    Online i have seen it suggested that to avoid the 8200a weaker pre-amp,you can do the following.
    Change CD to varible output with remote,and then out to 8000p and then out to 8200a and set that to Pre-power av.
    My question is,has anyone tried this.What does it sound like,and is it any better than the usual cd to a to p.
    Hi to all.

2. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,254
    You own the kit so why not try it yourself and let us know what how you think it sounds with your speakers in your room.

3. Turnitup

Turnitup
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Larkone
    Obviously i would normally,but,i wanted to know if it was possible,and would it cause any damage.
    That is why i asked if anyone had tried it.It is no good asking after!

4. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,254
    All you are doing is exchanging one preamp (8200a) for another (8200CD) and feeding two power amps (8000p/8200a). Whether it sounds better is down to your speakers, room and ears.

5. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +573
    Are you bi-amping at te moment with the way it's currently set up? If not then be sure to remove the jumper links from the speaker terminals before using the both amps together. Also, make absolutely sure that the cd player output volume is turned down and of course ensure it is in variable output mode otherwise it's going to send a full signal to the amps which at the very least will make a lot of noise but quite possibly damage something too.

If it's common belief that the pre section in the CD player is better than the one in the amp then I would certainly give it a try if it were me. You will of course be losing any/all pre-amp features on the 8200a if you do it as it will effectively just become nothing more than a power amp so keep that in mind if you have other sources in use.