1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Configuration for B&W ASW1000...

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by CDShaw, Jul 10, 2001.

1. CDShaw

CDShaw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After 18 months of waiting, I've just bought a nice new sub, the B&W ASW1000. However, I don't know how best to set it up...

System Details:
    Sony 930 Amp/Receiver
    Sony 725 DVD (Multi-Region Mod)
    B&W DM603 S2 (Front)
    B&W CC6 S2 (Centre)
    B&W DM601 S2 (Rear)
    B&W ASW1000 (Sub)
    IXOS Interconnects
    Sony KV-32 WF1U Trinitron 32" Widescreen (Not Wega) - Weak Spot :(
    Toshiba TLP-MT1 Projector - Sweet!

System Settings:
    Amp & DVD set for all speakers to be small to re-direct Bass to Sub.

Problem:
    Bass is very "warbly". Seems to fluctuate, and is inconsistent. I used to have no sub, and set the front speakers to "Large" to take the bass, which they did admirably. So well in fact, that I delayed getting a dedicated sub for a long time. The DTS intro to Terminator 2 (Region 1) was absolutely stunning. Now, with the Sub, it's not smooth. The Bass seems to "warble and pop". The manual for the amp and sub just don't give enough information on system set-up. So, bearing what components I've got...

Questions:
    1. What are the best settings for the speakers & their size in the amp & DVD player ?

2. What are the best settings on the Sub for:
    - Phase ? (0 or 180, Currently 0)
    - Volume ? (Reduced to 1/8 volume as any higher sounded bad)
    - Low-Pass ? (40-140, Don't understand what this does..., Currently 80)

3. Should I connect BOTH L & R amp sub-woofer pre-outs to the sub or just the left channel ?

4. Any recommendations on clearance around the sub ?

5. Where can I get a Test Tone disc? Is there an ISO image I can download from somewhere?

Thanks in advance. Any other tips or BKM's welcome...

CDS

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ideally;
    1) Set all speakers to small
    (Why is this an issue with settings on the dvd if you are using the amp to decode?)

2) Phase refers to the direction, push pull if you will of the driver in relation to the +/- voltage applied in the signal. For this to be correct simply set your front speakers to large and amp to stereo (with the sub signal still "live") and play some "bassy" music, using the phase control on the sub turn until the bass sounds "fullest" (in time you may change this but for starters this is the route we all follow) this is "in phase" with your main speakers, if, the sub is "out of phase" then the bass perceived will be almost non-existant. This is due to the sub's driver being on it's forward excursion while the main speakers driver's being on their reverse excursion giving the effect of cancelling each other out. The correct "degree's setting is based on several factors, room acoustics and the sub's position being two of the more obvious ones.
    Volume without a test tone on the amp or a THX optimode dvd or similar and an spl meter this is going to be a trial and error type of thing.
    Set the crossover for around 80hz with a similar setting on the amp (i think Sony's do this) although in time you may tweak this the 80Hz cut-off is the (thx) standard and a good place to start.
    Try www.stryke.com their basszone 2 test c.d is very good (about £10 incl. delivery) and will help you fine tune.
    Sub placement again is a trial and error thing that is worth spending alot of time on, again in the fullness of time you will quite likely find your sub(s) having several homes in the room before a final decision is made.
    On a final note there have been many reports (and post's here) complaining about the Sony's control of sub's and it has been mentioned that there is some sort of underlying design problem with the 930's output (certainly in comparison to the quality of other manufacturers, Denon, Yamaha etc)
    I cannot vouch for it personally having no long term exprience of Sonys' but it would seem there is some sort of problem.

Regards

SteveEX

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh yeah (sorry) connect left and right sub outputs on the sony (if it has them) to the sub's left/right input. This will make little difference for home cinema (apart from output level possibly) but may make more of a differnce for (certain types) music.

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also the sub may take a week (or more) to "loosen up" if brand new.

5. Space

Space

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or you might attach the sub directly to the speaker terminals of your amp (provided the sub has high level input), set your front speakers to large (the rest small) and set the subs crossover as low as you can (40Hz in your case). Use two channel music to fiddle with the subs volume until it integrates nicely with your front speakers. Tell your amp that there's NO subwoofer connected. This works superbly in my case.

Since I also have floorstanders as rear speakers and a large center, I have all my speakers set to large. I love it and don't really care about most people that disagree with my settings. :D

Han

6. CDShaw

CDShaw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your ideas. I will be trying them out tonight (and probably over the next few days...)

Thanks!

7. flashboyuk

flashboyuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi mate,

a bit random question in 2008, but did your asw1000 sub work okay when you had managed to find the right setting. i also have a set of B&W's and a 930 amp.

(I am looking at an asw1000 on ebay)

Thanks,

Mark