1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Config when you can't have a sff/silent HCPC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Steve.J.Davies, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    Every time I draw up a spec for a HCPC that has the bandwidth and data capabilities that I think I will need (over the next three years) it ends up too beefy to safely make it a SFF, Don't want a full size PC in my living/tv room so whats the answer ?
    I'm glad you asked. Can put the HCPC on a shelf next door an run a long DVI cable from HCPC to TV.
    Now how to control/interact with/ the PC ?
    Would love to have a (discreet) IR receiver in the living room - that could then be wired through to the HCPC next door.
    Anyone tried this ?
    Of course if instead of an I/R keyboard there was a program I could run on my I/R equiped pda that could 'fake' the keyboard that would be even better...

Anyone else in this boat ?

Steve

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    There are IR repeaters which could solve that problem or something like the iMon with the 'globe' external receiver, also something like the Gyration radio keyboard/mouse works well over distance and through walls. There are PDA-based WiFi solutions but I've no idea where to start looking for those.

3. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    Kragorn,

Thanks for that.
    I should said I don't do wifi (WAP - the protocol that has a C missing from the front of its name...).
    Enough pointers though.
    Search for good IR control (PDA) software not come up with anything good yet. Shame as a PDA with I/R has many possibilities...

Steve