Question Config question and Yamaha receiver

Bluesden

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello.

I have what may seem like a very simple (stupid?) question, but I'm struggling to get my head around it...

I'm finally about to replace my (very) old 50 inch Plasma screen for a shiny new 4K 65 inch. Mixed use with two sources (PS4 - games & movies and Humax unit for Freeview tele) currently, soon to go to PS5. I'm reading a lot about HDMI 2.1 and its features. Of particular interest is eARC. Right now my PS4 routes to the Plasma via HDMI for visuals and Digital Optical to a Yamaha AV receiver for sound.

I assume if I use HDMI 2.1 to go from the new PS5 to the TV for visuals I will still be able to route the sound to the AMP using whatever connection the new PS5 decides to give me, whether Optical or HDMI 2.1.

Will the inclusion of eARC in the HDMI feeds thoroughly mess things up or should it not matter, leaving me to have essentially the same hook ups I already have?

I'm hoping it won't matter as I can then not worry about whether or not my 4K TV has various sound features as I can leave this to the AMP.

Cheers.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom