Confessions of a know nothing (HS900 probs)

numptydumpty

Hi brainy people :hiya:

I have to embarrass myself now by fessing up to the fact that I know nuffink. I bought an HDC-HS900 when they were fairly new out, having previously had a series of camcorders for about thirty years, my last two or three being HD models, using the small HD tapes. The confession bit is that I am a confirmed technophobe....I knew which end of each cam to point at the subject because the big round glass bit hurt your eye if you tried to look through it. Beyond that, everything was done on auto...with the inevitable mixed results :laugh:

To get to the nitty gritty, my previous cams all had tapes of one sort or another, so I took the logical path for a numpty and kept the tapes each time I shot the required footage, sometimes with the sd versions transferring to a DVD disc, never bothering ('cos I couldn't :blush:) to edit.

So....I know have a very large hard drive which is close to full....and so the other day I was forced to attempt the mind boggling task :laugh: of trying to download it all onto a separate storage device (Iomega 'Screenplay' 1TB HD media player) When I say 'I' did...I am lying...my son-in-law did it for me, that's how bad I am :blush: He did it by connecting the camcorder and Iomega to my laptop (Vaio VGN-FW11ZU) and passing through the Vaio straight into the Iomega. (the Panasonic AE 3.0 software was downloaded first, be he struggled with that, having to go online and download something from the Panasonic site first to get the Vaio to accept it??)

The problem is that after 5 hours of downloading, we have a series of files recorded, by date order....and each one of those being broken up into separate files again, which appear to be a file for each time I stopped and started the camcorder during the original recording....which was a lot! So, as it stands, it is virtually unwatchable...it plays, but like a stop-start nightmare. I must add that it doesn't do that if I plug the cam directly into my Panasonic Viera TX-P46GT30B TV.

Any idea how I join all that lot back up again? If I don't manage that, two things will happen (1) my camcorder will cease to work 'cos it's full, and (2) my life will end, because my better half is no longer accepting my delaying tactics and is demanding to watch her holidays in a sensible form :D

My son-in-law suggested I find a forum of folk 'in the know', because he was stumped. Trust me...if he is stumped, that word doesn't even begin to describe the state I am in :suicide:

Please help :lease: (in words an idiot can understand....if you hadn't guessed :D)

Cheers, Dave.

12harry

Distinguished Member
Suspect the Pana software is only good for very basic editing - it was free.

I think you need a real Editor - you can use Windows Live Movie Maker, but my experience is it's not easy to get effects how I'd like them. So, I went for the very budget Sony Vegas (now called Movie Studio) . . . currently v12, at £35 or the Productions suite (which includes an integrated Audio editor) about £55 (Amazon)..... although earlier version work up to 1080i (eg v10 about £34 for the PS version). However, the latest is probably "safer" being more future-proof and has nifty animated titles, too. The PS allows you to create DVDs and BlueRay discs with Menus . . . . but this is not the place to put in Effort. The free music tracks are pretty good too.
- YouTube and Sony website provide plenty of Tutorials and the Editor also has "Show Me How" which force you to move yr mouse over the screen and perform the task correcty - so no cheating!

Having got yr Editor, you should select just a few files; like six of 30 seconds.... ( e.g. "A day out") to make a short film from a few of the clips good/bad. Get the "story" to run logically, add some music, titles etc. maybe later a v2 of the Project with a voiceover... Aim for a couple of minutes of video with a few titles....

Take things slowly; do short movies for the first few weeks until you get to grips with the Editing+Rendering process - burn some DVDs. Play these on a TV/DVD combo and Hey-Presto you're a filmmaker.

You'll need a fairly powerful computer for this - if its only a couple of years old that's fine, but if buying New I suggest a quad-core as minimum with dedicated Graphics and a second HDD of at least 1Tb.
External USB drives are OK for storage, but may lack speed for Rendering. This can make things "tedious" - keep your Movie short to start with.
Those few Project vid files should be "in" the computer.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

numptydumpty

Hi 12harry,

Many thanks for your reply, I really appreciate your time and efforts to help. However, I obviously haven't described exactly what I wanted to do, so apologies for that. I don't wish to edit the footage as such, as in turn it into a semi pro movie, with effects and such. The footage on the cam hard drive is several complete holidays, filmed by me over the last 12/18 months, which if I plug my cam via HDMI into my TV, plays back as a continuous footage, which my wife adores. All I wish to do is transfer each complete holiday, as it appears when viewed in that way, onto a separate hard drive....unedited other than adding a date and title for identification purposes, and a menu that my good lady can use to choose which holiday to view, as and when she chooses. She doesn't require Spielberg productions, she quite likes to watch the full unedited recording, warts and all...which is lucky for me :D

My only problem is that when I download it all onto that separate hard drive, instead of it being a continuous single length of footage, which I could hopefully separate into individual holidays and label up as such.....it is broken up into hundreds of tiny sections of footage, with a gap in between each one. It seems that every time I pressed the record button on the camcorder (which might have bean dozens of times a day, each and every day of the duration of each holiday) the cam sees that as a separate file....and has transferred it to the Iomega HD as such. All I wish to do is stop the cam doing that...get it to send each holiday as a complete package, as it does when plugged direct into the TV....or....re-join the 5hours worth of 30 second long clips I have managed to record on my separate hard drive :laugh:

Cheers, Dave.

Chelters

numptydumpty, the camera has already done the splitting.
Every time you press record the camera starts/stops recording and lays that down in memory as a separate file.
That's how they work, there is no "pause" when recording.

When you play back through the camera, the camera does some voodoo and shows it to you as one continuous show.

TheShadowman

Your camera is designed to play your clips in a continuous fashion, but your hard drive is not.

As Harry says, to do this you need to load your clips into an editor and render them into a playable movie that can be stored and viewed on your external. You can make as many of your clips as you wish into each movie ie your films can be as long as you want them to be. To view the films on Panasonic tele they have to be rendered as m2.ts files and this is easily achieved with an editor.

Bob++

First off you don't have to mess around with transitions, titles and music. You can simply use the editor of your choice just to join the clips you want together.

It will not be a fast process and you may well consider that the wobbly and out of focus bits might well be cut out to make watching the finished product a more pleasant experience. Do a short ten minute section first to make sure it all works, and don't be embarrassed to ask here for help - we love to give advice.

You must decide how you want to store the end product too. Don't over write the originals but you can export the edited film on to some storage media like CDs or memory cards. You can also connect your PC to your TV and play the new files directly but that may be inconvenient.

If you have a modern HD TV then check what inputs it can accept - if it has some USB sockets then that is the simplest way to send video to it.

numptydumpty

Many thanks everyone, what a lovely helpful lot you are. I would like to ask each of you some questions now, just to help me understand things as best I can....though at 68 years old, that 'aint gunna be a lot, 'cos ya can't teach an old dog new tricks :D Please understand I am not doubting that you guys are correct....I am just trying to understand your replies.

Chelters. Yes, I understand that each time I click the record button on the cam on and off, it lays that bit down as a separate file. However, if it is the cam that works some 'Voodoo' to show it to you as one continuous film on the TV....why does that stream of data it is sending out as a continuous film (having worked it's voodoo) break up into files again when sent to the hard drive I have used?

Shadowman.....I am lost again :blush: The output from my cam is viewable as a continuous film (for want of a better word) when the cam is connected via HDMI to my Panasonic TV...why then do I have to render them to m2.ts format (whatever that is) to make them 'viewable' on my TV?

Bob++....I guess by the rubbish bits, you mean the 5 minute sections where I forget to turn off and thus manage to film my leg as I walk along :p As I said, I wish to store the end product on an external hard drive/media player (Iomega) that I have. My TV is a Panasonic 3D, less than one year old....it has four HDMI inputs, as well as USB and more basic AV inputs. The Iomega connects to it via HDMI. My Panny camcorder also has HDMI and USB outputs. I just assumed that all HDMI connections would be best where possible? (if only because it is available) Sadly, I have no option BUT to overwrite the original footage, as that is on the internal hard drive in my camcorder...or did you mean the stuff already downloaded from that onto my external (Iomega) hard drive? Also, as the original in my camcorder is recorded in 1920 x 1080/50p HD, how much of that can be stored on a CD disc as you suggest? I had no idea you could store HD footage on to a CD...all this stuff drives me nuts, exploding long held beliefs that I had obviously got all wrong!

Emerton, I assume 'Freemake' is a free to download editing software? Are .MTS files what my camcorder outputs?

Guys, I am sorry to keep hassling you like this, but there you are....as Manuel would say, "I know NOTHING" :laugh: Might I add that on Friday, my good lady and I are off on another of her wretched...sorry PRECIOUS holidays (hence my panic to free up the cam HD)....so if I don't respond to your replies for 10 days or so, it's not ignorance....it's because I am not here. Many, many thanks for your help so far...you are good people.

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:

Chelters

Chelters. Yes, I understand that each time I click the record button on the cam on and off, it lays that bit down as a separate file. However, if it is the cam that works some 'Voodoo' to show it to you as one continuous film on the TV....why does that stream of data it is sending out as a continuous film (having worked it's voodoo) break up into files again when sent to the hard drive I have used?

There never is anything but many separate files on the camera.
When you stream it from your camera to your TV via HDMI the camera is simply playing them in sequence. The camera also stores small 'information' files for each clip so that it knows when one is about to end and the 'voodoo' is the way it switches from one file to the next, without you noticing.

Chelters

Shadowman.....I am lost again :blush: The output from my cam is viewable as a continuous film (for want of a better word) when the cam is connected via HDMI to my Panasonic TV...why then do I have to render them to m2.ts format (whatever that is) to make them 'viewable' on my TV?

See my answer above, then by putting all the separate files into a editor (no matter how simple) you can join them all together into one long stream and write it out (rendering) as a new file.

Sadly, I have no option BUT to overwrite the original footage, as that is on the internal hard drive in my camcorder...or did you mean the stuff already downloaded from that onto my external (Iomega) hard drive?

He means the stuff you have on your external HD, think of this now as your master copy. Just make sure you have the .MTS files as these are the actual video.
The .MTS are usually in the directory PRIVATE\AVCHD\BDMV\STREAM

numptydumpty

There never is anything but many separate files on the camera.
When you stream it from your camera to your TV via HDMI the camera is simply playing them in sequence. The camera also stores small 'information' files for each clip so that it knows when one is about to end and the 'voodoo' is the way it switches from one file to the next, without you noticing.

Yep, got that. What I am saying is, once the cam has worked it's voodoo on the files, so that you see it as one continuous sequence on TV....why is that voodoo not working when it gets to my external HD....why does the voodoo seem to brake down when the bit of kit it is transferring it to is a HD, not a TV?

Cheers, Dave.

TheShadowman

You cannot keep your clips on your camera drive forever as it would become full. So to keep your clips, you have to transfer them to another storage device, in this case an external HDD. Your external is not capable of playing the clips one after the other like the camera.

So you have to stitch those clips together in a fashion that the TV will play. To stitch these files together you need an editor. What you do is: Open the editor and load your clips into the "timeline" Cut out any bits you dont want. Then tell the editor in what format you want the clips made into, in this case it would be "render as a .TS file" The editor would make your film (render or produce) as one long clip, playable on your TV. As you set the editor to render your clips you can name the file (eg My July Holiday) and set the destination of the storage device. Do be aware though that working with HD film clips requires a top notch fast computer.

numptydumpty

See my answer above, then by putting all the separate files into a editor (no matter how simple) you can join them all together into one long stream and write it out (rendering) as a new file.

He means the stuff you have on your external HD, think of this now as your master copy. Just make sure you have the .MTS files as these are the actual video.
The .MTS are usually in the directory PRIVATE\AVCHD\BDMV\STREAM

OK, but can I change that 'master copy, on the external HD, join it up in situ as it were? That has taken up a large lump of my HD, so if I leave it there and send another edited (joined up) version of it to the HD, that will mean I have used up at least half of my external HD on the same holidays....and I have LOADS more of them on all sorts of tapes from many years gone by....and the boss wants them in a viewable format as well. I realise I can buy more external HD's and add them on as required...but it all means extra complications for the old love to cope with, 'cos I am not going to be there to help her forever (health probs), hence why I am trying to sort it now. I will buy add-ons if I have to, but sadly, she struggles even more than me with technology. What are we like :blush:

Oh...and how do I make sure that what I have on the ext. HD is the .MTS files that I must have?

Cheers, Dave.

Chelters

You don't have to keep the 'Master copies' on your HDD after rendering if you don't want to, it's not law :)
However I think they are worth keeping, you never know when they'll be useful again.

It sounds like you have a small external HDD, if you can afford to buy another, a big one 1TB or more. Use the big one to keep your camera clips on, do sort them into relevant directories eg. Holiday 2010, holiday 2011 etc.
Use the smaller HDD to store your final productions on, so the boss can watch them as and when.

Oh...and how do I make sure that what I have on the ext. HD is the .MTS files that I must have?

Use 'windows explorer', after you have pugged your external HDD into you computer it will appear in the drive list on the left side panel. As said above the .MTS files live in the directories PRIVATE\AVCHD\BDMV\STREAM on the camera and may (depending on how you copied them) be in a similar structure on your external HDD.
You could also use the 'search' facility on 'Windows explorer' (top right usually) type in '*.mts' without the quotes and it will find them.

numptydumpty

You don't have to keep the 'Master copies' on your HDD after rendering if you don't want to, it's not law :)
However I think they are worth keeping, you never know when they'll be useful again.

It sounds like you have a small external HDD, if you can afford to buy another, a big one 1TB or more. Use the big one to keep your camera clips on, do sort them into relevant directories eg. Holiday 2010, holiday 2011 etc.
Use the smaller HDD to store your final productions on, so the boss can watch them as and when.

Use 'windows explorer', after you have pugged your external HDD into you computer it will appear in the drive list on the left side panel. As said above the .MTS files live in the directories PRIVATE\AVCHD\BDMV\STREAM on the camera and may (depending on how you copied them) be in a similar structure on your external HDD.
You could also use the 'search' facility on 'Windows explorer' (top right usually) type in '*.mts' without the quotes and it will find them.

Chelters, you are a patient man and a star, and I thank you for that. I get frustrated at the bosses inability to cope with technology (which coming from me is a serious bit of 'pot and kettle' hypocrisy :D)....so I can imagine what this is like for you. Actually, my external HD is 1TB. As I said in my first post, it is the ' Iomega Screenplay MX HD 1TB Media Player'. In case it means anything to you, the specs are....HDMI up to 1080p (60fps). Connections....USB2, HDMI, Composite and Component and all that other 'orrible stuff....hard drive format NTFS, HFS+, FAT32.....Video formats H.264, WMV, RMVB, MPEG-1/2/4 (part 2, ASP), DivX + HD, Xvid.....File types .avi, .asf, .iso, .vob, .ifo, .mp4, .mov, WMV, FLV, .mkv, AVCHD, M2TS....Subtitles SRT, SSA, SUB, SMI....playback resolution...up to 1080p. Looking at the manufacturers claims, it is capable of storing 120 hours of HD video, so I have no idea why my son-in law said it had used up a large chunk of it's capacity...perhaps it depends on what format of HD they are talking about?

My camcorder is the Panasonic HDC-HS900, all the recordings are in the full 1920x1080(50p) that it is capable of. I think the HDD on that is 220 GB, and that is nearly full.

Cheers, Dave.

Emerton

Emerton, I assume 'Freemake' is a free to download editing software? Are .MTS files what my camcorder outputs?

It is not an editor, it is just a converter, but it does allow joining of files during output.

Chelters

Actually, my external HD is 1TB. As I said in my first post
That'll teach me, should have refreshed my memory first and re-read the question.

I have a Panasonic HDC-SD700 and older variant, it to does 1080 50p, I get roughly 1 hour of 50p video on a 16gb card (my cam has no internal memory). So a 1TB HDD should hold a blooming lot (excuse the technical term), probably 60+ hours of 1080 50p.

I still think you'd be better off buying a 1TB external HDD for storing your cams files on and using the media player for the finished items.

TOSHIBA STOR.E Basics Portable Hard Drive - 1TB, Black Deals | Pcworld is the type of HDD I'm thinking of, others are available (as they say), it does nothing other than storage.

numptydumpty

You cannot keep your clips on your camera drive forever as it would become full. So to keep your clips, you have to transfer them to another storage device, in this case an external HDD. Your external is not capable of playing the clips one after the other like the camera.

So you have to stitch those clips together in a fashion that the TV will play. To stitch these files together you need an editor. What you do is: Open the editor and load your clips into the "timeline" Cut out any bits you dont want. Then tell the editor in what format you want the clips made into, in this case it would be "render as a .TS file" The editor would make your film (render or produce) as one long clip, playable on your TV. As you set the editor to render your clips you can name the file (eg My July Holiday) and set the destination of the storage device. Do be aware though that working with HD film clips requires a top notch fast computer.

Sorry Shadowman, I missed your reply in my excitement about all the replies I did see :D

Yes, I am aware I can't keep them on the cam forever because it will fill up, that was why I posted initially, as I said in post one. But please, don't take that as sarcasm, because it isn't....I am well aware that I am an over wordy, boring old fart....and it takes a saint to read it all :D....because I don't understand 'stuff' myself, I tend to explain at great length, sad old git :blush:

Anyway, I do see what you are saying, and now accept I have to edit to make it work, despite that being exactly what I was trying to avoid, because I doubt my old laptop is man enough (Vaio VGN-FW11ZU) It has Intel Centrino2 the 'C' drive has 85GB free, from 108GB. The 'back up' drive has 114GB free from 159GB, with 4.0 GB memory. Incidentally, it has a BD-RE drive, as I had visions of burning all these holidays to blu-ray discs when the price of them went down....but it didn't, and there were other issues (software and editing )...so here we are :laugh: Nothing is easy with this stuff, is it? The salesmen lie!

So...I accept I must edit to turn it into something the TV will accept...though I still don't understand why :D Clearly, the camcorder is putting out stuff that my TV will accept...I have watched it. And yet, when I pass that through my laptop to my ext. HDD, something along the line changes it, undoes the good work the cam has done, if you like. That is the bit that bugs me...if it arrived as it had been sent, I wouldn't have these issues at all. I could get paranoid about this :laugh:

Thanks Shadowman....and everyone, you are my heroes, one and all.

Cheers, Dave.

TheShadowman

Dave, you are such a wag, and a wordsmith with it. A pleasure to do business with you.

Here's a scenario to help you understand.

Do you record TV programs? If you do, you will know that You can playback a program, but when it is finished you have to tell your player to play another one. It's the same principle. A TV program is one large .ts file(a giant version of one of your clips). imagine that TV program is one of your clips. When its finished you have to ask for another program to play.

Its just that a camera is designed to THINK that all the clips are one program so they all play one after the other. Hard drives on their own do not have this inteligence, they have to have software (editor) or someone to physically tell it what to do, in this case you.

Try downloading a free trial of some editors and see how you get on. Powerdirector is good in my opinion.

I hope this helps you

Bob++

Bob++....I guess by the rubbish bits, you mean the 5 minute sections where I forget to turn off and thus manage to film my leg as I walk along As I said
Exactly so - we all do it. There will be some boring anonymous scenery as well, and the bits where you panned round and they make you dizzy to watch.

Bob++.... As I said, I wish to store the end product on an external hard drive/media player (Iomega) that I have. My TV is a Panasonic 3D, less than one year old....it has four HDMI inputs, as well as USB and more basic AV inputs. The Iomega connects to it via HDMI. My Panny camcorder also has HDMI and USB outputs. I just assumed that all HDMI connections would be best where possible? (if only because it is available) Sadly, I have no option BUT to overwrite the original footage, as that is on the internal hard drive in my camcorder...or did you mean the stuff already downloaded from that onto my external (Iomega) hard drive?

This is a good plan and will save you much effort. Once the files are edited and saved on the Iomega you will have them permanently available. Now you have copied them you can then safely delete them from the camera's memory, although I would want two copies on seperate media for safety's sake. (Another external drive maybe?) As said above , the only reason you might want to keep the originals would be if you would ever go back and edit them again. From your posts I can see that it is unlikely you will, but don't delete anything until you are sure that the edited files play properly. HDMI is the way to connect.

Also, as the original in my camcorder is recorded in 1920 x 1080/50p HD, how much of that can be stored on a CD disc as you suggest? I had no idea you could store HD footage on to a CD...all this stuff drives me nuts, exploding long held beliefs that I had obviously got all wrong!

This has already been answered above, but I doubt that you will trouble a terabyte in the near future. When you do, just buy another.

From the look of it, your biggest problem is trying to do any of this on a laptop. To invest in a powerful computer just for this project would be overkill and I think you should try it on the laptop - remember that it is the post-edit rendering that takes the time, and there is no reason why you can't go to bed and let it carry on.

Is there a local computer club that you could investigate? Maybe someone else here has an solution.

Bob++

addenum:

Editing does take time and you will probably be wise to take it in small bites (bytes?). An hour or two at the computer and then go away and let it get on with the rendering.

numptydumpty

addenum:

Editing does take time and you will probably be wise to take it in small bites (bytes?). An hour or two at the computer and then go away and let it get on with the rendering.

Bob++, that sounds astonishingly like the way I manage to live with my good lady :D

Seriously though, can I do it a bit at a time? I assume I would have to edit and then render one whole holiday at a time, to end up with a continuous video of that hol? I would doubt any of them are more than 1.5/2 hours long. (Yes, my memory is that bad)

Thinking about that 1TB external HDD, that's not really that big, is it? The internal HD in my camcorder is 220GB, and I pretty well filled that with a few Holidays...and I will only get to download that 5 times and the 1TB is full up....if I have worked that out right?

Now....if I DO buy another ordinary 1 or 2TB external HDD, can I easily connect that to the one I have now (The Iomega media player with built in 1TB HDD), probably via USB lead...and leave them connected? (left on top of the Virgin box under the TV, for instance) I need a system whereby the good lady can just switch the TV on with her remote, switch the Iomega and connected HDD on with it's remote, choose the TV input, then scroll through the menu/index that will then be displayed on the TV, press play....then watch. If she has to be doing any more than that, plugging things in and so on....anything vaguely complicated, then she will not cope. So...the two HDD's need to become one entity, once connected. It would be nice if the menu/index then displayed the contents of both HDD's. Is that possible?

Cheers, Dave.

numptydumpty

Dave, you are such a wag, and a wordsmith with it. A pleasure to do business with you.

Here's a scenario to help you understand.

Do you record TV programs? If you do, you will know that You can playback a program, but when it is finished you have to tell your player to play another one. It's the same principle. A TV program is one large .ts file(a giant version of one of your clips). imagine that TV program is one of your clips. When its finished you have to ask for another program to play.

Its just that a camera is designed to THINK that all the clips are one program so they all play one after the other. Hard drives on their own do not have this inteligence, they have to have software (editor) or someone to physically tell it what to do, in this case you.

Try downloading a free trial of some editors and see how you get on. Powerdirector is good in my opinion.

I hope this helps you

Shadowman, it has been a pleasure dealing with all of you guys. A community in which help is freely given, in a friendly manor, is always a pleasure to be a part of.

Thanks for your final explanation, I think I have finally got it... eureka :D Though I must say, if the HDD needs ME to tell it what to do...then that is one sorry piece of kit :laugh: I think I did have Power Director at one time. Even if it's gone now, my son-in-law will download it again, so that's not a prob.

OK, I am off to take a shower now, then to bed. The taxi to take us to Heathrow is turning up at 7.00am tomorrow morning, so I should try and grab some sleep before that. I may have to buy a memory card at Heathrow Dixons, just in case my cam can't hold enough to cover the hol. Obviously, I should not have left it to the last minute to ask for help....fairly typical of me though, I fear....dafter than a VERY daft person.

Many, many thanks for your help and patience good people, I will no doubt be back to harry you further in about ten days time...something I am sure you are already looking forward to...not :laugh:

In case I hadn't mentioned it...and you hadn't noticed (cough) I rather like smilies. Crass I know, but fun...I really can't help myself, so you will have to forgive me that!

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:

12harry

Distinguished Member
Well, that's a lot to digest....on yr return from Holiday.

...and in reality OP still has no "easy" method of creating a continuous file.
Whilst there are software "joiners" - eg TSmuxeR, free but mighty confusing and this does join up m2ts files so they are one continuous file. They can't be put on a DVD for viewing with a TV/DVD combo. the files need to be rendered again, so the DVD player can unerstand them.

BUT
-and it's a big BUT, - trying to watch the results is likely, (er, IMHO), to be somewhat tedious - when with a little effort (and I have a Thornton Pickard SLR which I converted to roll-film).... you can enjoy those moments again and see them in a new light, by Editing.
Maybe the thought of fancy transitions blows yr mind, but if there is a section of film missing, you can't move from the "beach at midday" to the "pool by night" - it jars! - so a "clockwise" transition fixes that and it's far easier than the effort you put in operating the PC to send us a msg . . . only it's different.

Until you watched an Edited version of yr raw footage, you can't know how much more interesting it will be . . . . and there is no reason you can't resuse little snippets that appeal. With 1080 there is enough definition to zoom-in, adding extra fluidity between "takes" ( but don't do this until you've Rendered a few very short Edited vids.)

Finally, it is possible to put yr movies on disc - DVDs (not CD you mentioned, although they do look the same), and you should get over an hour - this is far too long for a single vid . . . so Vegas has a sytem for creating a Menu called "DVD Architect" confusingly. . . . but read my earlier post (Post#2) - you should concentrate on getting the Editing right.
[For HD quality you'll need to invest in a BlueRay burner and Player. Movie Studio will render to that also.]

If you are dead-against Editing, provided the Rendered vids fit a DVD, there is no tech-reason why you can't join all the files (one click, drag and drop =really!), then Render it, without any Edits (although you might be wise to Title it with Date, Location and Duration, so you'll know) . . . . But (and this is a bigger BUT)- the Rendering process will take a very long time. Typically my 2-core PC (with sepaarate Graphic card) has a Render Factor of 4x - so a !hr vid, will take 4hours to render . . . . AND that's creating a HD file. - To burn to DVD you have to Render again, and this can take much the same time.

That is why I suggested maybe six short clips to create a 2-3 min films. (Post#2_), so you can slide into Editing easily.

But it's your choice.
If you want to leave something that your friends/family will want to watch, maybe before retracing your routes - I think it should be Edited . . . to create a shorter, and better film, with a few titles and maybe just one transition.

I gave up stills-photography when it went "digital" - it removed the Magic in the darkroom - video had always been "difficult" with films needing splices, and all Titles were very poor. However, the PC has made effects available that older cine-folk would give their arms for. Such is the power in the PC you can have a bit of fun . . . and still go back to the "original" for another try.

Certainly you should cut those "ground-shots" (we've all done it) . . . . along with crooked framing, or where someone walks in the way - you may then start to notice the several "faults" that befall us as soon as a camera is switched "on" - the World and the Dog attempt to wreck our fun. Editing gives you a simple means of putting it right, like it never happened. Looking at the shots with an "Editors' eye" will improve the Taking, as you will be mindful of the need for those "transition shots" that join different scenes, times and pale/colours. Adding a bit of mood musinc (from the files provided) will improve the overall "feel" and should be used where the cameras' audio is lacking, or wrecked by cars, wind, motorbikes, etc.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

StormAudio launches ISP Core 16 AV processor
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cabasse launches limited edition Pearl Pelegrina speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 22nd September 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Creative introduces Sound Blaster Katana V2 soundbar