Confessions of a BK XLS200 (vs. Gemini)

The Gemini II Amp is 150w, unless I can't read :p

The Gemini II Amp is 150w, unless I can't read :p

Whoops, fixed! :)

I can't find the sensitivity rating for the Gemini II driver, but a guesstimate would still see that 150W putting out 108dB SPL at 1m, or 95dB at 4m. 95dB SPL is very reasonable for a listening volume at that sort of distance. Your neighbours would be complaining at that point!

Bearing in mind the review is now out of date as the Gemini has been replaced with the Gemini II, which has the same size (10") driver as the XLS200 and a slightly uprated amp (150W). The differences are now minimal.

The original BK Gem has a smaller driver but the same 150W amp I think.

so is the extra £100 still worthy for the XLS200? (after 2 years of use)

Well as Ben said, the original Gem has now been replaced by Gem mk II that has a bigger driver. I've not heard this but going along with the original Gem, I still think it's worth considering first if you're on a budget. And thanks to Gordon McBean's wrecking of the economy, I guess that's pretty much everyone. I mean what is the point of throwing money at the banks when ... (snip, Ed)

As I prefer FF subs, I went for an XLS200 as a replacement when the Gem was moved into the study. Also though, the XLS200 is a lot more musical if you listen to stereo and it sounds much better than the Gem with the new 2-channel amp.

Regards,

DG

DG: do you use the high level leads as well as the LFE? I'm debating what to use at the mo as I will be suing the sub for a fair amount of music.

Yes, am using the high level leads from the 2-channel amp and the low level from the AV amp but to be honest, there's not much between them in terms of bass if you play the same track on both amps.

Ah cool thanks again mate :)

ordered the xls 200. Looking forward to it. Mail said it will be dispatched by the end of next week :cool:

i know this thread is 4 years old, but is @Dodgy_Geezer still on this forum ?
still after all this time, his review is the best direct comparaison of gemini vs xls....i would have loved if he tested the gemini 2....
has any of you done a xls vs gemini 2?
aside from @Damian1978 i don't recall anyone else

Hello mate,

Yep, I'm still here :)

I've actually heard a Gemini 2 but not directly in comparison to an XLS200. I'd imagine there wouldn't be much difference as the two are quite similar; Gemini is a bit small and lighter with less power but looks like it has the same 10" driver. Personally, I find a big difference between downward firing and forward firing subs but that's just me and the acoustics of my room so I think that would have more of a difference in any comparison rather than the power and dimensions.

If this is your first sub, I doubt you'll be disappointed with either a Gemini 2 or XLS but if you're looking to upgrade, you might want to consider a Monolith for more bang per buck.

DG

Last edited:
great to see you are stille alive :rolleyes:
thanx for the input....well it is not my 1st sub....i had previously a yamaha 6.5" ported...and since 18 months a pioneer 6.5" ported also; did not buy those, they came with a package of speakers i had...so the gemini will be my 1st TRUE sub...

ok you did not compare the G2 to xls200...but do you remember in the slightest if the G2 was an improvement over the G1 ? that should be easy as you has the G1 for a long time:p
i never read any comparaison between the 8" G1 and 10" G2...
Did the 2" really add something ? :confused: dunno....

thanx for any input you might recall ! in any case i already pulled the trigger on G2 and hopefully it will be set up in 15 days or so....

The thing I remember most was that the G2 was closer to the XLS200 than it was the G1 when comparing depth and agility of the bass. I think you'll be mighty impressed with the G2, the difference between it and the small all-in-one box subs you've had will be very noticeable.

Hey DG, my sub (Epos) has just given up the ghost and I was fixed on getting the XLS200 but now I'm not so sure :(. My room is 3m x 3m (small) so would I really need the XLS200 or would you say that the difference between that and the Gemini 2 is such that I could save money and buy that (G2) instead?

the G2 is plenty lound in my room that is 4mx4m...also it depends on your avr...is it is really good in LFE or not...

ps: how did your sub die anyway ??? how long have you had it ? i wanna know coz i fear it so much happening to me...

The G2 will be plenty for a 10" x 10" room.

the G2 is plenty lound in my room that is 4mx4m...also it depends on your avr...is it is really good in LFE or not...

ps: how did your sub die anyway ??? how long have you had it ? i wanna know coz i fear it so much happening to me...

:D. Well I don't really know how it died. I've had it about 4 to 5 years (I think) and suddenly realised I had no bass, checked the sub and the power-light was no longer on so I replaced the fuse and it still didn't come on.

I have a Yamaha RX-V667 AVR if that helps?

Thanks very much DG :).

Hi Dodgy Geezer. I currently have a Tannoy HTS subwoofer (100watts), which has recently died. I'm looking for a new subwoofer and am considering the Gemini 2. My room is 4m x 4m. Would the G2 be suitable for my room? I have neighbour's either side of me, which I need to consider, as I was thinking of the XLS200, but at 275watts compared to the G2s 150 watts, I think the XLS200 would be too much? I always found my 100watt Tannoy to be more than enough. It would be used for movies only. Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Hi Dodgy Geezer. I currently have a Tannoy HTS subwoofer (100watts), which has recently died. I'm looking for a new subwoofer and am considering the Gemini 2. My room is 4m x 4m. Would the G2 be suitable for my room? I have neighbour's either side of me, which I need to consider, as I was thinking of the XLS200, but at 275watts compared to the G2s 150 watts, I think the XLS200 would be too much? I always found my 100watt Tannoy to be more than enough. It would be used for movies only. Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Holy resurrection thread Batman!
Logo-icon.png

Not sure which model Tannoy HTS you have but the G2 will be fine if you found the Tannoy plenty enough for a 13" square room. The Gemini 2 has a larger 10" driver and the only thing is that it might sound a little bit different to your HTS if it was the forward firing version as the Gemini is downward firing (I prefer forward firing myself).

The XLS200 is a step up and you could always turn it down as needed but if most of your viewing is at low volumes, it won't sound all that different to the G2.

Last edited:

Holy resurrection thread Batman!
Logo-icon.png

Not sure which model Tannoy HTS you have but the G2 will be fine if you found the Tannoy plenty enough for a 13" square room. The Gemini 2 has a larger 10" driver and the only thing is that it might sound a little bit different to your HTS if it was the forward firing version as the Gemini is downward firing (I prefer forward firing myself).

The XLS200 is a step up and you could always turn it down as needed but if most of your viewing is at low volumes, it won't sound all that different to the G2.
Thanks for the reply, I appreciated it's been a while since anyone's posted on this thread lol. My current subwoofer was the Tannoy HTS101 (down firing). The exact dimensions of the room are 12ft 7 x 13ft 3. The volume control on my Tannoy was never above half way (ten to twelve) to be exact, as most of my viewing is in the evenings due to work. I know that the XLS200 is the better sub, I just don't know if spending the extra money on a more powerful subwoofer (watts wise) would make sense. I know that you can turn it down, but would there be a difference between the G2 and XLS200 at lower volumes? I would love the XLS200 and can afford one, but unfortunately you have to take the neighbour's into account. I've seen several subwoofers for sale due to upsetting the neighbour's lol.

If you have minimised the dynamic range of the sound through the amp, I don't think there will be much difference at all between the two at low volumes. It's a lot more noticeable when there's something going on (e.g. beginning of Star Wars AOTC when they're trying to snuff out Senator Amidala and the ship blows up).

Honestly, if the Tannoy was plenty for you, I don't think you'd be disappointed with the G2. However, if it was me and budget wasn't an issue, I'd get the XLS200. Having tried both, back-to-back in the same room, there was a clear difference so I reckon if you never heard the XLS200, you'd be more than happy with the G2 but side-by-side, the XLS200 is noticeably better.

If you have minimised the dynamic range of the sound through the amp, I don't think there will be much difference at all between the two at low volumes. It's a lot more noticeable when there's something going on (e.g. beginning of Star Wars AOTC when they're trying to snuff out Senator Amidala and the ship blows up).

Honestly, if the Tannoy was plenty for you, I don't think you'd be disappointed with the G2. However, if it was me and budget wasn't an issue, I'd get the XLS200. Having tried both, back-to-back in the same room, there was a clear difference so I reckon if you never heard the XLS200, you'd be more than happy with the G2 but side-by-side, the XLS200 is noticeably better.
Thanks again, so knowing the higher wattage with the XLS200, can it's volume be turned down enough so that the neighbour's wont be banging on my door lol, but still get good definition of base at lower volume? Thanks again.

At lower volumes, there's not much between them, but even at medium volumes, you'll be able to hear the difference in scenes with lots of bass. Again, if you were happy with your Tannoy 101, you won't be disappointed with the G2 but if budget is not a problem, I'd go with the XLS200 for when the neighbours are out :smashin:

At lower volumes, there's not much between them, but even at medium volumes, you'll be able to hear the difference in scenes with lots of bass. Again, if you were happy with your Tannoy 101, you won't be disappointed with the G2 but if budget is not a problem, I'd go with the XLS200 for when the neighbours are out :smashin:
Thank you for your time and all the advice, it's much appreciated :)

Appreciate the knowledge on here and read through this thread and other similar comparing the XLS200 and G2. I've a slightly different but similar question. I've a small room in a house with an adjoining neighbour and have just bought a GZ2000 and want to add a Subwoofer. It needs to look like furniture so DF is essential. Assessing either a G2 or a XXLS400-DF.

My question is - Will the XXLS400 have more controlled bass with less booming etc at the same volume as a G2? ie. Less likely to disturb the neighbours? From my HiFi days more powerful amps and larger speakers distort less at the same volume as less powerful amps and smaller speakers...

Thoughts welcome.

A

the XLS400 is a much better sub....in every aspect. will YOU be able to tell the difference is another matter...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom