1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confession

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by sanj, Jul 6, 2004.

1. sanj

sanj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi,

I have an av system that is totally mismatched and need help. :lease:

I am in the process of upgrading my av system due to having moved house. I now have a 24ftx15ft lounge to fill with sound from, mainly, watching movies on a DRH slimline 240 screen (awaiting delivery) and a Sanyo Z2 projector.

The speakers that I currently have, have been brought together over a number of years and consist of:

Bose Acoustimass cubes for fronts, Kef Q95C centre, Tannoy M2 rears and a Rel Q100 Sub (which can finally be used in our detached house). These are all driven by a Yamaha RXV630 processor.

The questions I've got is what should I spend £1000-£1200 on? Should I ditch all that I have, or should I save some of it?

I like the sound of the Kef range but am unsure whether the 5005 would fill the lounge with sound. The wife would prefer sub-sat solution but is not averse to floorstanding speakers at a push.

Any helpful advice that you have would be greatly received. :lease:

2. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I would say to start with your front sound stage, currently its mis-matched and thats a big space to fill. After that I would aim at something a bit more powerful than the Yamaha, but it might be a case of "suck it and see" with new speakers as they may be the solution.

HTH
    john

3. sanj

sanj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks sticker,

What do you reckon on Kef Q7s for fronts, Kef q9c for centre,
    Kef Q2Ds for rears and the Kef Q95c as rear centre?

Do you think the kefs will sit well with the Rel sub that I have or will that be mis-matched?

Ta,
    Sanj

4. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Sanj
    I like the Q7's but I've not heard the Q9c, your best bet would be to try to hear that combination for yourself. Kef IIRC do a Q7 package which I think has the Q7/Q9/Q2DS, see if a dealer will do a home loan for you.
    I was recommened by a dealer the Q2DS to go with my Kef reference set up, so they must be pretty good to work with those. Having said that, most of the focus in films comes from the front sound stage. It certainly would be a considerable step up from what you currently have.

HTH
    John

5. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    It's a nice package the KEF Q series - I found them to be a lot smoother on the ears that the 600 series from B&W (this is going back quite a while now so just recollecting my experience). Given that you already have the centre they might be a good place to start your demo.