conecting up upscaling dvd via hdmi

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by KiNeSiS, Apr 23, 2007.

1. KiNeSiS

KiNeSiS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi peeps...

just ordered a Samsung HD870 upscaling dvd player and my current setup is as follows:

• Samsung LE26R41BDS TV (but i think this only does 720p :()
    • Pioneer VCX-C402 AV Reciever

(and a sky+ box but thats not relevant)

now currently my dvd player (the one i'm selling) just has scart out to the av reciever then the av has scart to the tv...

what is the drill now that i want to get the best picture out using hdmi?

what goes to where its all a bit new to me...?

i've bought an hdmi cable from play so i reckon once it arrives i'm good to go, just need the setup advice from you guys :)

EDIT: plus... just thought, gonna be getting a ps3 in about 3-4 months so also need the hdmi connectivity for that... how does this all work do i need some new sort of av reciever that has hdmi sockets all over the back instead of scart ones?

2. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,881
    Just think of HDMI as HD Scart, you just plug it in and away you go, not very accurate I know but it really is that easy, just connect the cable from the DVD player to the TV, switch the the HDMI Input on the TV and there you go.

Also, remember to change the display setting in the Samsung's menu so that is 720p otherwise it wont upscale.

Lastly, you will only need a new AV Reciever if you want to get HD audio from Blu-Ray otherwise using an optical cable will be fine.

3. KiNeSiS

KiNeSiS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oh ok, so my visual signal will no longer go through the av reciever? as it stands everything goes into the av reciever and only one scart from the reciever to the telly... kindof neatens everything up...

plus, my sound is through speakers connected to the av reciever, how will i get the sound out of the proper speakers now? (never use the telly ones)

4. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,881
    If you wanted to route everything through the AV Reciever then yes you would definitely need to get one that supported HDMI but surely it has optical inputs and if so you can just use them to connect both the PS3 and DVD Player to it and get audio that way.

5. KiNeSiS

KiNeSiS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    but i only have one hdmi on the telly... so where would i plug the ps3 visual?

6. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,881
    You are 3 options...

1 - Buy an HDMI switcher
    2 - Buy a new AV Reciever with HDMI support
    3 - Use Component with the PS3

7. KiNeSiS

KiNeSiS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sweet ok :) how does HDMI compare to component? and how do i know if my tv supports that?

8. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,881
    HDMI compares very well to Component, at least HD-DVD's through my 360 dont look any worse than Blu-Rays through my PS3.

Also, what do you mean by 'how do i know if my tv supports that', supports what?

9. KiNeSiS

KiNeSiS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how do i know if my tv supports component?

(and thats cool, i didn't realise that component was actually better than hdmi, thought that was the daddy :))

10. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,881
    Being an HDTV it should have a set of Component Inputs (red/green/blue) with red/white inputs near it for audio.

Also, I didnt say component was better than HDMI, I just said that on my TV then both gave an equally as good picture.