1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Conecting Plasma/LCD displays to RF. Would this be bad/fine/not possible?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Ash007, Sep 29, 2003.

1. Ash007

Ash007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thinking of an LCD or Plasma for my bedroom to replace my CRT, but all the signals Sky/ VCR/Amp OnScreen Menu/ Dvd all come through RF coax cable from the lounge to my bedroom. (Prob 30m RF cable from lounge to bedroom) Is there a problem conneting these new flat screens to RF? Do they generally have an RF input or not? Would it result in a rubbish picture? If so, what other options are there?

Any opinions/ advice?

Ash

2. Tim_UK

Tim_UK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As long as the plasma has a tuner it will work fine - however the picture quality on sky in particular will not be brilliant compared to connecting via scarts etc. What's quality like now - and what size screen are you watching on at moment ?

30 metres seems a lot of cable unless you live in a mansion - is there any way of putting in a shorter cable run ?

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You'd have to choose the right model, a Hitachi PD3000 or some such. Or there are devices, like the Pro-V that have an RF tuner and a 31khz VGA connection for the screen. But as Tim says, RF is desperate last resort with a big screen, the bigger the screen the better the video signal you need, they show up all the flaws. Other options, might include s-video or component video. You could convert the RGB output of the sky boc to component and cable for that. It's very robust, and a very high quality signal. You'll also need one of those powermid things, or similar, so you can remote control from the bedroom.

4. Easy2BCheesy

Easy2BCheesy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're going to spend thousands on a plasma screen, maybe you should consider upgrading to Sky+ for your lounge, relocating your old Sky box to your bedroom, and then buying another DVD player.

To my mind it's a total waste of money to invest in a cutting edge display and then run it on the very worst video signal imaginable.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    If looking at a 15-20 inch LCD then top quality coax and a watchable picture should be yours. any larger and you will struggle LCD need top signals and even then can look poor compared to CRT

6. Ash007

Ash007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Concensus seems to be that conecting flat sceen to RF would be a bad idea.

The large distance is because I live in a bungalow and my bedroom TV is at the far corner of my house to the lounge tv n sky+ box at the other corner of my house.

What would be the best solution to get Sky+ to my bedroom?
    (the IR is already sorted, through the Sky Magic Eye/Mouse thingy)
    I presume the options are-
    30m Scart lead
    OR
    30m S-Video lead
    OR
    Convert to component, then 30m of component leads.

Do any of these have distance degregation issues or any other flaws/problems eg expense, widescreen issues etc.
    Would I have to daisychain several Scart leads together?

Again, any opinions as what u would do, gratefully appreciated.

Thanks again,

Ash

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    freeveiw box in bedroom would be best mate if you have RF in

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    ...but if you must have sky, then a 30m component is best, you can even fit a Kramer in line amp if needed (I doubt it) But with the type of cable needed, hornydragon's option is cheaper too.

9. Tomfoolery

Tomfoolery

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    There's also those video senders for a cheap option, although the one I have has lines all across the screen and stops working when you turn the microwave on.

So maybe not...

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Video senders only do composite. Though I seem to remember a discussion about using 2 senders, and using the 3 phonos ie video, r&l audio, to send instead, Y,U,V, and the 2nd sender for the audio. One of these days I'll try it. Anyone think of a reason why it won't work?

11. Easy2BCheesy

Easy2BCheesy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know these video senders have between 1 and 4 "channels" depending on the model, so you should be able to select different channels for the audio and video. However, I have observed that if I have the transmitter on channel 1 and the receiver on channel 2, you still get some signal through.

So they could interfere with each other. Another possibility is that having two quite powerful transmitters sitting next to each other will generate interference any way.

In terms of the poster's quandry, I think an enormous S-Video connection is probably the best bit. Presumably the Sky+ RGB SCART is connected to the lounge TV, so he wouldn't get RGB SCART through to his bedroom unless there was a splitter box of some description. This leaves the thorny issue of sound - you may have to run audio cables too.

However, I still say if you're spending three grand on a TV you should get whole new boxes to put in your bedroom. Anything else is a compromise.

12. Ash007

Ash007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having two boxes means more subscriptions , plus its better having one Sky+ box (as I have at the moment), as everything I record, I can play back in either the lounge or the bedroom, like having a central server.
    Which (S-Video, composite, component) transmit sound, as well as the picture? I know scart does.

If any don't transmit sound,then I presume I would have to feed, long audio cables through as well. More expence. With component would it be 5 cables (3 or picture and 2 for sound)? Alot of cables over a large distance.

Does the sky box pump a signal out through its scart output and S-Video ouput simultaniously?

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    SKY+ will do both as it has a dedicated socket. RF will work but composite and mono.
    However Channel PLus do do an S-Video or cat 5 system and there is the KAT-5 system which is far more basic but would work and 30m of cat is not alot. Depends how much you want to spend!

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  15. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I don't think it's far enough to worry about cat. 5. One of those Nordost s-video cables would do the trick, + audio of course. Not as good as rgb-component, but as he's got an s-video socket, I suppose it's sensible to use it.

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    30m is the max reconmended for line level audio and Nordost cables!!!! Not cheap. I would look at Kat-5 System there is a link round here some where!