1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cone Diaphragm Separation Problem

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by reggiewac, Oct 11, 2004.

1. reggiewac

Standard Member

Nov 30, 2003
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:

I got in drunk and wound the amp up a bit too high, and now my speakers are not happy at all! Listening to a cd sounds like listening to a record with a worn out needle but ten times worse.

They are Gale 3020's. I have managed to deduce that it is only the main drivers that I have damaged. Having taken them out of their units I can see that the back of the cone has separated from what I would call the diaphragm (note - not the rubber mounting on the front of the driver).

If I hold the dome and pull the cone away from the coil area it detatches from the diaphragm and travels up what looks like a cardboard tube. The original glue stays attached to the cone.

Now these aren't particuarly expensive speakers so I would quite like to have a go at fixing them myself. Can anybody tell me if it is worthwhile trying or should I just bin them? If it is worth while, can a type of glue be recommended?

I have done a search in the forum and have only found items relating to the rubber mounting. These seem to advise using a flexible glue, but I'm not sure this would be good for my particular problem.

Any advice would be most welcome. Thank you. :smashin: