Question Conduit distances

celtic1967

I'm going to hide the mains, hdmi and cat cables in my brick walls using 25mm plastic conduit, can somebody advise as to the minimum distance I should keep the two conduit runs apart to prevent signal interference from the mains cable ?
Cheers

Tomdw82

Hi
You shouldn't have too many problems with the cables interfering.
I would suggest trying it all in one run and seeing what happens.
Most cables are well enough screened that you don't notice. If you have a problem, I would then try a different HDMI cable first.
Tom

celtic1967

Thanks for the reply. I agree about hdmi cable, its the cat cables I am nore concerned about being close to the mains cable

davehk

What indication will there be that the cables are there, so that some future owner does not drill through them? Are they in "safe zones" as defined in the wiring regs?

Tomdw82

Thanks for the reply. I agree about hdmi cable, its the cat cables I am nore concerned about being close to the mains cable

There aren't any strict rules.
I would try them without running them in the wall and see what the intereference is like.
I would still imagine that they will be okay together.

celtic1967

What indication will there be that the cables are there, so that some future owner does not drill through them? Are they in "safe zones" as defined in the wiring regs?

No original cabling in my house is "indicated", I just use a cable tester to locate where the wiring is.

Tomdw82

No original cabling in my house is "indicated", I just use a cable tester to locate where the wiring is.

You will probably find your existing cabling is within safe zones - in simple terms within a certain distance from the ceiling, or horizontal or vertical from a wall socket or switch.

I am guessing you will be putting a brush plate on the wall where the cables go in - which will mean that if you go vertically up in line with the plate, you will be in a safe zone.

ufo550

Not sure that the hdmi cables & Cat cables are covered by reg 522.6.202, although it would make sense to run the cables where they would not likely to suffer from Impact. That said there seems to very few people, other than electricians who understands that 150mm from the top of a wall or from the corners of a wall is one of the 'safe zones' :)

D

Deleted member 122178

If you want to install to the "Regs" then you have to run the mains cable in a separate conduit due to the Cat 5 / Hdmi cables not being 240v rated.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom