Condolancies to PC Harpers family

ufo550

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sad to hear the death of Pc Harper; condolences to his wife & family. It appears he was a road policing officer from Abingdon, a station I served at when in the police.

I went to bed last night, when he went to work. I hope he didn't take unnecessary risks doing his duty. From the ages of some arrested, some were quite young. I hope those responsible, receive an appropriate sentence.

The third serious incident in last couple of weeks -I appreciate that it would require a massive increase in manpower but IMO no police officer these days should be expected to attend a scene on their own - they should be accompanied at all times - even if it is a PCSO and not a fully trained police officer

...and as for those involved in these incidents they should throw away the keys if found guilty especially where a weapon - including vehicles - are used in the attack :mad:

Jim

Its beyond madness. Imo Theresa May has blood on her hands as she cut the police numbers under her watch when home secretary. Those found guilty of murdering police officers should have life sentences that mean life. I couldn't imagine what his new wife of 4 weeks and the rest of his family & friends are going through right now. Times like this that I start thinking that any serious criminal who is prosecuted and sentenced for more than 3 crimes deserve being euthanised by the state. What good or use are these people to anybody.
RIP

Its beyond madness. Imo Theresa May has blood on her hands as she cut the police numbers under her watch when home secretary.
I lay the blame more on George Osbourne & David Cameron. She was implementing the funding cuts that they imposed on the police.

Imo Theresa May has blood on her hands as she cut the police numbers under her watch when home secretary.
Hate to disappoint you but resources were cut long before that.

TV News reporting that Police are searching a "site where there are a number of caravans." I assume it isn't a holiday campsite?

It will be travellers, they are a problem down here.

Assaults on emergency workers are an every day thing now.
Seems a bizarre thing to say but luckily, most of them are of a minor nature causing little to no injury.
However, in my 16 years, I've never known it to be so prolific.

16 years ago it was rare. There was a few guys around who we knew every interaction with would end in a fight and often start with the officer being assaulted (until you cotton on to that then change tactics to deal with it accordingly).
Rare to the point that a serious assault was a one off incident and I can remember them all. It actually meant that is the same officer kept getting assaulted then maybe there was a training need there.

Now serious assaults and even an officer's death is not uncommon. I can think of several off the top of my head.

RPU is the most dangerous job in the police force.
More traffic cops are killed than any other.

RIP PC Harper

Not wishing to get into a debate here, but policing has always been a dangerous profession. If you look at some figures, you'll see more cops killed during WWII than in the last five years. And that wasn't being shot at by the Nazi's.

What seems to be fashionable these days, as already mentioned is single crewing. Although its being speculative this happened here.

Single crewing happened for me during the early 90's. When I questioned a Senior officer, he said it was risk management; 'you take the risk, I manage it'. The only reason for single crewing, is resourcing or lack of it.

Police should be armed. And a 3 warning stance. On the floor in 3 or bang bang

Don’t agree with all cops being armed. And could post a link to a cop shooting incident in Texas to highlight such a tactic, but it would not be appropriate here.

Agreed.

Not wishing to get into a debate here, but policing has always been a dangerous profession. If you look at some figures, you'll see more cops killed during WWII than in the last five years. And that wasn't being shot at by the Nazi's.

What seems to be fashionable these days, as already mentioned is single crewing. Although its being speculative this happened here.

Single crewing happened for me during the early 90's. When I questioned a Senior officer, he said it was risk management; 'you take the risk, I manage it'. The only reason for single crewing, is resourcing or lack of it.
PC Harper was not solo crewed on this occasion.

Ok. Discussion for some other time.
Sure yes, pointless though because it's still going to happen.
Anyway, back on track...

I used to think that, but you only have to look at some of the morons who get a badge and a gun in the US to realise that would probably happen here to.

Read the article, it tells you a lot.

That matches up with comments by police officers on AVF - those who are OK with saying they serve.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom