Conclusion: Vista is poo

ldoodle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had Vista (64-but) since Wednesday last week, and so far i've had to re-install it no less than 13 times!!

Everytime I reboot/shutdown after a working session of watching TV, I get 'The tuner is currently in use by another application or is not working. Please close all other applications, restart Windows Media Center, and then try again.'

Closing MC and going back in doesn't work (great troubleshooting Microsoft) and tried closing down ALL closeable applications, which don't make a difference.

Only solution so far is to re-install Windows (hence the number of installs already).

I've just got the error message again, so make that 14 re-installs!

Can MS do anything right? :lease:

sell it, and get XP MCE 2005, much easier!

Matt

Is there any reason you went 64 bit? 64 bit chip capability doesn't mean the 64 bit version is best for your needs. See if the 32 bit version runs any better.

I've had Vista (64-but) since Wednesday last week, and so far i've had to re-install it no less than 13 times!!

Everytime I reboot/shutdown after a working session of watching TV, I get 'The tuner is currently in use by another application or is not working. Please close all other applications, restart Windows Media Center, and then try again.'

Closing MC and going back in doesn't work (great troubleshooting Microsoft) and tried closing down ALL closeable applications, which don't make a difference.

Only solution so far is to re-install Windows (hence the number of installs already).

I've just got the error message again, so make that 14 re-installs!

Can MS do anything right? :lease:
Doesn't the fact that you've had to install Vista 14 times already say something? It's not the operating system at fault. It's you.

Thus I conclude, ldoodle is poo.

Nah i agree. Vista is really buggy at the moment
I've got over 308Mb worth of system queued Windows Error Reports and DEP is always having issues
Wait for SP1 or even SP2 methinks

Back to XP and MCE2005 for me

Unforuntately I have to agree, there are too many problems with Vista at the moment, can't wait for a service pack to appear.

I do like the new version of MC though, it grows on you after a while, but after a number of Coronation Streets and Emmerdales haven't been recorded, I restored MCE05 from a backup today - too much in the way of earache from the wife for these to be missed again.

I can't wait for new drivers to appear for Vista for wireless network adaptors, my connection to my router is hit and miss, yet rock solid under XP.

Ah well, thank God for Acronis - backed up Vista installation, and can be back to retest within 30 mins - then back again to MCE05 for teatime, so I don't get killed ;)

Tony

A agree with the comment above that you really shouldn't be using the 64-bit version unless you have to, and that ususally means if you need to use more than 3GB RAM for some mega-applications.

Has the OP got the latest drivers from Hauppauge? You can't blame MS for problems with 3rd party hardware.

I've had Vista (64-bit) since Wednesday...

Ah - I see your problem.

I've noticed that with Vista if you like to meddle (hack, mess about, fiddle etc) then Vista isnt for you.

Vista works fine if you just use it normally and on decent hardware.

A agree with the comment above that you really shouldn't be using the 64-bit version unless you have to, and that ususally means if you need to use more than 3GB RAM for some mega-applications.

Has the OP got the latest drivers from Hauppauge? You can't blame MS for problems with 3rd party hardware.

Yep got them ones, and have only used those ones.

After a lot of messing about closing down programs etc, I found what was causing the problem - it was ehrecvr.exe, which funnily looks like an app linked to Media Center. Why this was still running after closing down MC and even after rebooting leaves me with one conclusion:

Vista is poo after all, if it can't even close down programs properly!

And singh400, I work in high level IT support (servers/desktops/web sites etc) and got most MS/Cisco certs so I doubt it's me that's poo!

ehrecvr.exe is involved with the IR remote. I've never seen this problem reported on the Hauppauge site. Are you using the MS remote of the one that came with the Hauppauge card?

We can moan about it, or we can try and fix it.

Stiggy CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCT (no kidding)

I think most problems with Vista aren't actually vista problems, but more problems with drivers and other software.

What points me to this is that some people (like me) are running vista, and its fine, no issues at all, but other people can't use it because its so buggy for them. So its gotta be down to drivers.

What points me to this is that some people (like me) are running vista, and its fine, so issues at all, but other people can't use it because its so buggy for them. So its gotta be down to drivers.
Well said. I'm using Vista Ultimate 32-bit with the Nova-T-500 card and it's much more stable than XP MCE ever was.

I think most problems with Vista aren't actually vista problems, but more problems with drivers and other software.

What points me to this is that some people (like me) are running vista, and its fine, so issues at all, but other people can't use it because its so buggy for them. So its gotta be down to drivers.

I agree 100% - it took me 3 installs but now, thanks to researching the correct drivers etc, everything is working fine including my Hauppauge card :smashin:

I work in high level IT support (servers/desktops/web sites etc) and got most MS/Cisco certs so I doubt it's me that's poo!

If you can't see the fault is not Vista's then how did you get those Certs.:lesson:

ehrecvr.exe is involved with the IR remote. I've never seen this problem reported on the Hauppauge site. Are you using the MS remote of the one that came with the Hauppauge card?

We can moan about it, or we can try and fix it.

Stiggy CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCT (no kidding)

Neither. Using the one that came with my Zalman HD135 case as this has built-in iR so no external dongles etc.

Seems odd that sometimes it works, and everynow and again, this 'lockup' of ehrecvr.exe happens.

Tell me why the fairly expensive Mobo from Intel, with Ati and Crossfire suport, yet you use a fairly cheapo Nvidia GPU.

Tell me why the fairly expensive Mobo from Intel, with Ati and Crossfire suport, yet you use a fairly cheapo Nvidia GPU.

Motherboard choice was cause I prefer matching motherboard/cpu manufacturer, which is why i will never own an AMD processor (unless they start making their own motherboards).

GPU choice was cause at time of purchase it was the only HDMI certified one.

another positive anecdotal..

I'm running Ultimate 32Bit with Asrock P4-915GL Dual mobo, Celeron D 2.8 (dont laugh!), 1Gb DDR, nVidia 7300GT and Hauppauge Nova 500T and its been totally reliable so far. Only annoyance has been lack of hardware acceleration for video but thats an nVidia drive issue.

ldoodle - hope you get yours sorted.

The conclusion does seem to be that 32 bit versions are more stable. Is there anyone out there running 64 bit versions on similar hardware with no issues? Step forward and share the knowledge with us. :)

Neither. Using the one that came with my Zalman HD135 case as this has built-in iR so no external dongles etc.

Seems odd that sometimes it works, and everynow and again, this 'lockup' of ehrecvr.exe happens.
Maybe it's the IR hardware in the case that's the problem then. A £20 IR dongle might fix it!

At 5 installs here, on 3 PCs. Not had a real problem yet - only minor bugbear was a driver issue with a DVBS card, but the maker has released Vista compatible drivers now so that's fine.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom