Concerns about SD quality on Full-HD (1080p) plasmas (50"+)

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by N9ne, Sep 9, 2007.

1. N9ne

N9ne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello all,

Hope everyone is having a wonderful viewing experience! Sitting here viewing a 3-year-old Panasonic Viera plasma which of course is non-HD, I am looking at upgrading.

I will be getting something which is 50 or more inches in size (I sit 7 to 20ft away - big lounge!).

I'm definitely thinking of going for 1080p Full-HD for future-proofness, since I'm spending so much money anyway. Furthermore, it's good for HDDVD and BlueRay discs.

I've done some reading on the subject and have heard there may be issues watching SD content on a 1080 panel. Can anyone shed any light on this and what steps I can take/choices I can make to minimise this problem?

I will be watching Sky via a SkyHD box but of course, most channels are still SD...

2. thegolfer

thegolfer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in exactly the same boat as yourself looking for a 50 inch. I watch mainly SD but will watch some HD via sky and the odd DVD. My mate (better read up than me) says that it is a total waste of time going 1080 as it is considerably inferior quality for SD viewing. Based on the fact that in about 5-7 years there will be marginally fewer more HD channels than now I think he is probably right.
    Very interested in what the experts thinkon this one.

3. Lin3ar

Lin3ar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779

Your mate is spot on IMHO.
    If you were going to be watching BlueRay/HDDVD exclusively then a 1080p set would be a great (if expensive) buy
    However, you mention that you will be watching mostly SD and HD via Sky (and remember SkyHD is broadcast in 1080i, not 1080p) then you would not get any benefit from a 1080p screen.In fact, as extra processing would be required to scale the picture, SD would probably be inferior to that of a lower resolution screen.
    The way I look at it is that if you were only ever going to watch SD material then a SD panel would give you the best results.
    However, to get the best of both worlds a HD screen of 720p would be the ideal compramise.
    As i believe, the difference between 1080p, 1080i and 720p is that small it is not worth bothering about anyway.

Hope this helps Gaz.....er....oooops

4. N9ne

N9ne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the reply Lin3ar.

Personally I wouldn't necessarily mind going for 720p except for the future-proofing aspect. However, if the difference between 720 and 1080 is minimal (to the naked eye), then perhaps I don't mind as much. Particularly so because the prospect of Sky is unlikely to give us 1080p anytime soon.

I have one further question:

What about if I'm getting a plasma 60"+? Most/all seem to be full HD - are there any 'HD-ready' but non-full HD 60"+ plasmas?

5. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Perhaps your mate spends more time reading magazines rather than watching tv ?
    Go 1080p. :cool:

6. DeeGee7

DeeGee7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I'm in no way an expert but SD on my Pioneer 5000EX is excellent, so it all depends which 1080p screen you get.

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    I had a fun time on Friday with a Panasonic TH58PH10. It's a 768 panel, but it's BIG and CHEAP. They seem to be forgotten by you forum folks, but for those with a 20ft viewing distance, it's gotta be ideal, where else can you get a Panasonic quality all but 60" plasma for that kind of money? It's cheaper than some of the 50s!

8. jspr

jspr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I'm in a similar position too, wanting to upgrade from my fuji 42" SD to a HD-ready screen as I'm hoping to get Sky HD soon. Worried I might not get as good a SD picture as I currently do on my fuji - SD is brilliant - mind I do sit at least 10' away from the screen. Currently considering panny px70, pz70, ph10 or (if funds will stretch) pio 4280. Haven't had much luck comparing them side by side anywhere yet so still undecided. Decisions decisions .....:confused:

9. jon_c0

jon_c0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I've been rather stunned by the quality of SD on the Pioneer 5080XD just bought by a member of the family. Their viewing distance is around 12-14ft, and at that distance the difference between BBC HD (external Pace box) and BBC 1 (internal Freeview tuner) isn't actually that great - both are really, really good. Even at around 6ft, I'd say that BBC 1 etc. are more than acceptable, and at 9.5-10ft pretty damn good. It's of course possible that I've only seen poor or poorly setup comparable screens in the past, in this respect, but to my eyes the Pioneer does an exceptional job with SD.

Personally, after at least two years "fiddling about" deciding on a new screen for myself (and having travelled the LCD and RPTV road too) I've boiled it down to either one of the Pioneer 5080XD/508XD or the new Pioneer LX508D. The LX508D would tick the OP's 1080p box (if that really needs to be ticked) but I'm personally waiting to see one in the flesh and hear/see a few reports regarding its SD performance vs. the 5080XD/508XD - if it's worse with SD, I'll plump for the 5080XD/508XD.

10. Gussie

Gussie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    I'd rather someone comment on how the poorer quality Freeview channels like ITV3 or any of the ITV Freesat channels look on a 5080XD.

I saw a 408XD in the Reading Audio-T showroom with mid morning ITV on it - the pixelation looked worse than on my 42PX60!

Gussie :)

11. jon_c0

jon_c0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Ditto with the lower bit-rate channels, within reason. Spent about an hour watching ITV2 (which was enough for me :)) from Astra 28.2 via a Pace DS810XE on Saturday from about 9ft. I let the Pioneer do any up-scaling, and obviously you can see digital compression artifacts (in common with all of the lower bit-rate channels) but in general the picture was really watchable. I don't think I'm easily pleased, and obviously personal preference comes into this a lot, but I really have been impressed by the SD performance of these sets...