1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Concern

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Michaelknell, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Michaelknell

Michaelknell
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    My main worry about getting a 360 is the lack of HD-DVD compatibility. I have a HDTV, and like the PS2 was my first DVD player i was hoping my next console would be my first next gen DVD (or blue ray) player. I've heard that later models of the 360 will have HD-DVD but I don't really want to wait as I'm dying to make use of my HDTV. Anyone one have any opinions on this?

2. nick501

nick501

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +782
    you could always wait then. But what about the next 'best thing' it just goes on and on.....

I sure you will notice a big difference with the 360 dvd capabilities over the ps2 anyway, which i found very poor. (saw 1 film on it and had to buy a separate dvd player!)

3. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,341
    Ah the twice weekly "Shall I wait for HD-DVD?" question. Well, it's your call, but you could be waiting a long time, if it was ever to happen. I think it's still some years off yet, if it's going to happen at all. No-one is arguing that it would be nice if the 360 included a HD-DVD player, but it's going to be a very niche thing for at least 5 years or so. DVDs only started outselling videos in the last year or so, and HD-DVD won't appeal to the mainstream like DVDs do.

4. Michaelknell

Michaelknell
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Come to think of it, I don't actually watch that many DVD's. I mainly watch Sky which is in HD format anyway. I was originally going to go for the PS3 being a long time PS fan, but seeing the price/wait time/difference I want some 360 action now.

5. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    the main reason to buy a 360 is to play its games. So make your decision on that.

Microsoft's decision to publically back HD DVD on Vista is interesting, and may make it more likely they put a drive in a future option of the 360.

But paramount have just announced bluray support, and Warner/universal are rumoured to do the same next week. If that happens, then I don't see HD-DVD surviving a year, in which case there'd be no point having a player anyway.

6. drskhaled

drskhaled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    michael, Sky's not gonna be in hd format for a while yet, dunno what kind of hd format your watching it on?

7. Michaelknell

Michaelknell
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I'm not, I meant when the new Sky box comes out it will be HD which is what I mainly watch.

8. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Yes, if MS decide to actively not support Blu-Ray to scupper Sony's chances of launching the platform, that could cause some "discussions". However, you are right that if Warner and co (who normally support Toshiba) decide to go for Blu-Ray then this would be the end of HD-DVD.

Russell