Concern about Marantz AV7705

HTDIY

Novice Member
I am planning to pair a Marantz AV7705 with the Monolith 7X amp. I will have 5 speakers in-wall and 2 Atmos ceiling speakers.

My concern is this. After ordering the 7705 I came across this review where the reviewer basically concludes the 7705 is junk.

I don’t understand what he’s measuring or how his results would play out during real-world listening. It’s possible he’s measuring performance when the unit is pushed to the very edge and it would do fine when set to the preferable volume levels of the average listener?

Anyone out there own the 7705 and can speak to its quality? Thanks.

rccarguy2

You'll get people here saying asr is nonsense however bench tests don't lie, on the bench it's not good.

One example is frequently response it has high end trail off, which is validated on another site.

I read from couple of people marantz noise floor is quite high

Youth man is subjective opinion, asr is objective.

HTDIY

Novice Member
This was my initial thought. Even though I don’t understand the specifics of what he’s measuring, clearly the charts show bad objective performance. And when he said you would better off buying a denon avr and disabling the amps, that caught my attention.

rccarguy2

This was my initial thought. Even though I don’t understand the specifics of what he’s measuring, clearly the charts show bad objective performance. And when he said you would better off buying a denon avr and disabling the amps, that caught my attention.

The Denon in all channel pre amp mode perform objectively better.

HTDIY

Novice Member
The Denon AVR-X4700H may be a good option. It came with a resounding endorsement from the same guy who identified all the problems with the 7705. Seems crazy to spend money on a device with amps that then get disabled and aren’t used. But from all my research there doesn’t appear to be a dedicated pre amp that costs less due to no amps in the chassis.

rccarguy2

e Denon AVR-X4700H may be a good option. It came with a resounding endorsement from the same guy who identified all the problems with the 7705. Seems crazy to spend money on a device with amps that then get disabled and aren’t used. But from all my research there doesn’t appear to be a dedicated pre amp that costs less due to no amps in the chassis.

There's the Tonewinner at-200 and At-300

I've just bought a at-300.

rccarguy2

I have never heard of this company! (I’m new to this whole thing) I will check them out. This looks promising. Thanks!

For the price there is nothing close. I may not have bells and whistles of the the top end AV pre but does enough.

Hd audio, hdmi, DTS X , atmos for about £1100. 16 channel but really it's 13 as sub is y splitter

DodgeTheViper

So you havn’t cancelled your order ?

wildone

I am an average user, with a relatively average system in an average-sized living room, and I am more than happy with this unit. Context is everything, though, and your partnering equipment may demand something more exotic. I had my previous AV amp (Marantz SR7400) for 15 years and only felt the need to upgrade due to it being the oldest part of my setup.

Dobbyisfree

It would be really good to see a review of this somewhere, whether measured or member's subjective (e.g. an x3700 or x4700 in all 11 channels).

I, like many others, are using pre-outs but on an AVR that can only disconnect either HEIGHT 2 or FRONT. It would be great to see if there is an audible difference in a full pre-out mode.

And, potentially even more interesting, how this compares to devoted processor. We all know the technical reasons why the devoted processor should be better but whether it is audible is what is relevant!

rccarguy2

It would be really good to see a review of this somewhere, whether measured or member's subjective (e.g. an x3700 or x4700 in all 11 channels).

I, like many others, are using pre-outs but on an AVR that can only disconnect either HEIGHT 2 or FRONT. It would be great to see if there is an audible difference in a full pre-out mode.

And, potentially even more interesting, how this compares to devoted processor. We all know the technical reasons why the devoted processor should be better but whether it is audible is what is relevant!

Asr has it, better snr and lower noise than marantz av7705

alebonau

I am planning to pair a Marantz AV7705 with the Monolith 7X amp. I will have 5 speakers in-wall and 2 Atmos ceiling speakers.

will make a great combo...

I have heard quite a few dedicated theatres over years with AV7702mk2/7703/7705 and all have been superb...

HTDIY

Novice Member
After further review I think I’m gonna go with the Anthem AVM 70. It’s a bit more money, but it looks like a solid unit that will be current for a long time, with excellent performance.

rccarguy2

After further review I think I’m gonna go with the Anthem AVM 70. It’s a bit more money, but it looks like a solid unit that will be current for a long time, with excellent performance.

Check if anthems do this and whether that is important.

Auro 3d
DTS:X
Hdmi 2.1, vrr, 120hz at 4k
Time alignment of speakers and sub
Multiple sub outputs with independent level and time alignment
That anthem room correction is working (a lot of negative feedback that it is beta)
That it has e-arc

HTDIY

Novice Member
Check if anthems do this and whether that is important.

Auro 3d
DTS:X
Hdmi 2.1, vrr, 120hz at 4k
Time alignment of speakers and sub
Multiple sub outputs with independent level and time alignment
That anthem room correction is working (a lot of negative feedback that it is beta)
That it has e-arc
I’m not too concerned about Auro 3D
It looks like it has DTS:X and DTS:X Pro
HDMI 2.1 not really a priority for me.
120hz at 4K possibly important. I’m not sure if the projector I have picked out has that either.
I believe the subs are independently adjustable.
Word is the room correction software has been dramatically improved over the last few months.

I don’t think it will be perfect, but if there’s a perfect processor out there please let me know!! 😁

spmm

Standard Member
Not sure my limited experience may be of any help to your but I went from Denon x3700h to Emotiva XMC-2 last month. I had my 3700h paired with XPA Gen3 power amp for LCR but I always felt the volume wasn't powerful enough for my liking and had to keep up the volume around 80% or -5db. Not an issue as most here would say and could also be due to room correction, placement's etc., but I started looking for other options.

I have spent the last few months reading a lot of posts here and in other forums and understood that the pre-out power on my Denon is not high enough to match the recommended input levels of the XPA, and most of the D/M receiver line up have more or less same pre-out voltage of the x3700h.

I looked at Anthem, Arcam, and Emotiva and chose XMC-2 mostly due to home trial and trade-in offers from a retailer who is also the forum sponsor. I was sold on the first day itself with its two-channel performance for music and it nicely paired with the power amp. I haven't spent enough time calibrating and watching movies as am preparing to move houses but I paid for the xmc-2 and sold the 3700h elsewhere. I guess you may very well like the Anthem than the Marantz.

rccarguy2

I’m not too concerned about Auro 3D
It looks like it has DTS:X and DTS:X Pro
HDMI 2.1 not really a priority for me.
120hz at 4K possibly important. I’m not sure if the projector I have picked out has that either.
I believe the subs are independently adjustable.
Word is the room correction software has been dramatically improved over the last few months.

I don’t think it will be perfect, but if there’s a perfect processor out there please let me know!! 😁

Trinnov Altitude 32 in solid gold 24k faceplate is apparently very good.
Not sure my limited experience may be of any help to your but I went from Denon x3700h to Emotiva XMC-2 last month. I had my 3700h paired with XPA Gen3 power amp for LCR but I always felt the volume wasn't powerful enough for my liking and had to keep up the volume around 80% or -5db. Not an issue as most here would say and could also be due to room correction, placement's etc., but I started looking for other options.

I have spent the last few months reading a lot of posts here and in other forums and understood that the pre-out power on my Denon is not high enough to match the recommended input levels of the XPA, and most of the D/M receiver line up have more or less same pre-out voltage of the x3700h.

I looked at Anthem, Arcam, and Emotiva and chose XMC-2 mostly due to home trial and trade-in offers from a retailer who is also the forum sponsor. I was sold on the first day itself with its two-channel performance for music and it nicely paired with the power amp. I haven't spent enough time calibrating and watching movies as am preparing to move houses but I paid for the xmc-2 and sold the 3700h elsewhere. I guess you may very well like the Anthem than the Marantz.

In all channel pre amp mode with 3700 pre outs are plenty capable enough.

spmm

Standard Member
if am not mistaken, all channel pre amp mode is the only available option on 3700, unlike its predecessors and other variants but may it's just my own experience with the unit.

Dobbyisfree

all channel pre amp mode is the only available option on 3700

No, there are many other available amp assign modes.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

PrimaLuna debuts Evo 300 Hybrid integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Astell&Kern announces AK ZERO1 in ear monitor
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
McIntosh launches MI1250 power amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 13th October 2021