Concept 2 rower vs. Spin Bike and Peloton App

hotchilidamo

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I’ve been doing a lot of body weight exercises over lockdown but I’m missing cardio. My partner also wants something to workout with.

Concept 2 - lots of reviews saying this is the one to get, and have previously used it in the gym

Pros:
  • quality kit with high resale potential
  • more muscle groups
  • folds up (I have a small ish space)

Cons:
  • could get boring/monotonous
  • partner used to struggle with rowers at the gym (although not sure how committed she was)
  • Not cheap

Spin Bike - can’t afford/don’t want to commit to Peloton bike. Never done a spin class but used plenty of stationary bikes and enjoyed it.

Pros:
  • lower cost than rower
  • paired with peloton app assume this would be more motivating

Cons:
  • larger permanent footprint (considering you can’t fold it away)
  • mainly just legs & lungs

My main concern is that we can’t really get out and try either due to Covid lockdown.

So I’m looking for opinions and what I may not have thought about.

I’m worried about the rower only being used by me as partner has struggled in the past. But the full body appeals to her more.

I think the bike would get longer sessions out of it with peloton. But neither of us have done a spin class before so this represents some level of risk.

Both options require long wait lists so I’d like to decide and order soon. I guess the risk of a bad decision is lower with the concept 2 as its resale value is high, not so sure on the bike.

Any thoughts? Anything I’m missing in the pros and cons?

Do you have a road bike just now? If so turbo trainer and peloton app / or another app (or even just YouTube) could be an option that’s what I am using. Smallish footprint (given you can take bike off). Can get some cheap(ish) sensors for wheel speed / cadence.

I have one of the cheaper trainers with manual resistance controls so you need to be truthful with yourself and classes. Done about 2000km on it so far.

as above.. or another option is buy cheap spin bike-eg ebay,

the peloton app is very good-I think it is free for the first 1-2 mths- and can be used with any spin bikes/turbo trainers etc-you just need a display for cadence really

i have got treadmill, concept 2 rower, spin bike with peloton app- if I had to choose one the peloton with used spin bike wins hands down and is also the cheapest option!
ps concept 2 rowers take up a lot of space when assembled for use

I had a similar conmundrum 2 years ago.

In the end I decided I wanted a fuller body workout so went with a rower.

I actually bought a Water Rower (which can veretically stand on it’s end when not used) and it’s been great. I don’t get bored as I usually listen to music while I row.

I still use it several times a week and it looks nice in the house too. I bought it on Amazon in a black friday sale, don’t know if they sale at other times.

Neither. Get yourself a jump rope instead. I like Crossrope but plenty of other cheaper ones available.

Ok, so I’ve been doing a lot of body weight exercises over lockdown but I’m missing cardio. My partner also wants something to workout with.

Concept 2 - lots of reviews saying this is the one to get, and have previously used it in the gym

Pros:
  • quality kit with high resale potential
  • more muscle groups
  • folds up (I have a small ish space)

Cons:
  • could get boring/monotonous
  • partner used to struggle with rowers at the gym (although not sure how committed she was)
  • Not cheap

Spin Bike - can’t afford/don’t want to commit to Peloton bike. Never done a spin class but used plenty of stationary bikes and enjoyed it.

Pros:
  • lower cost than rower
  • paired with peloton app assume this would be more motivating

Cons:
  • larger permanent footprint (considering you can’t fold it away)
  • mainly just legs & lungs

My main concern is that we can’t really get out and try either due to Covid lockdown.

So I’m looking for opinions and what I may not have thought about.

I’m worried about the rower only being used by me as partner has struggled in the past. But the full body appeals to her more.

I think the bike would get longer sessions out of it with peloton. But neither of us have done a spin class before so this represents some level of risk.

Both options require long wait lists so I’d like to decide and order soon. I guess the risk of a bad decision is lower with the concept 2 as its resale value is high, not so sure on the bike.

Any thoughts? Anything I’m missing in the pros and cons?

Hi Hotchilidamo!

I am in the same purchasing dilemma that you were back in January! I would love to know which one you decided on and, looking back now, do you stand by your decision (they say hindsight is 20/20).

I’m thinking about the Concept 2 for the overall body workout and I like to row! I’m concerned that I might get bored but agreed that this machine has kept its value and could be sold without a substantial loss.

However, several of my friends have the Peloton and swear by it. I’m not sure if I like the bike workout since I’ve only taken one spin class in my life (many years ago) and hated it. The app does look fantastic though and the appeal of being part of “the workout biking gang” is alluring as well (they do different challenges amongst each other).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

My partner and I went for more economical models (Kettler/Nordictrack) so we could get both.

Although I like cycling, I get really bored of the bike indoors. Rower is far preferable to use for me. The only time I really use the bike is late at night as it’s a bit quieter, or if I’ve been overdoing it a bit on the weights and I’m a bit sore.

I‘m glad we have both though, I‘d still rather have two mid-priced machines than one s****y one.

My partner and I went for more economical models (Kettler/Nordictrack) so we could get both.

Although I like cycling, I get really bored of the bike indoors. Rower is far preferable to use for me. The only time I really use the bike is late at night as it’s a bit quieter, or if I’ve been overdoing it a bit on the weights and I’m a bit sore.

I‘m glad we have both though, I‘d still rather have two mid-priced machines than one s****y one.
Thanks! Great advice! I will check these out!!

also have a look at the concept 2 ski erg too

However, several of my friends have the Peloton and swear by it.

Your friends aren't wrong, Peloton has nailed something with their programs, its nothing short of addictive. We've had ours since April and its now part of daily life.

I've done spin classes in gyms, had gym memberships, we've bought rowing machines, cross trainers, I've had turbo trainers none of them have been any where near as engaging or addictive as Peloton.

51514733827_1288f6dd05_c_d.jpg

The exercise programs also really do get you fit. This is a recent ride I did, I ended up hitting >90% HR for 45 minutes.

51515531446_0f9d9bb78c_c_d.jpg

Interms of HR zones, the work outs on Peloton is as hard as the last real life bike ride I did back July. Infact am enjoying the Peloton rides so much I haven't actually ridden my real bike since that last ride!! Peloton has 100% taken over my biking needs interms of exercise!!

51492399597_f72e874c52_c_d.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom