Concealing all the wires!!!!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by sherbert79, Nov 3, 2005.

Tags:
  1. sherbert79

sherbert79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Elloo all

Does anyone know where you can buy the plastic trunking that finishes flush with your plaster? I have ooodles of cables hanging from my lcd thats mounted above my fireplace and dont really want to plaster them in to the wall in case i need to gain access to them!!

Any suggestions as to what i should do with them or what would look the best????

Thanks

scott

2. thelurch

thelurch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    You can buy plastic trunking from various electrical retailers and DIY stores, they can be surface mounted or set in the wall, this trunking would have a removable front face but im not sure about setting this in the wall flush so you still have access? as you would still be able to see it if you didnt fill over the top of it.

If you can be bothered you can make quite a large channel and set large trunking( or smaller size rainwater downpipe) into it so the connectors will pass straight through, that way if you want to add/remove cables later they can be fed in through the pipe at the hole behind the TV had pulled out the bottom.

Thats really only easy on a flat wall (ie not a chimney breast) and only really if its straight down and not down and around the fire place as it would make getting cables in or out difficult.

I will be just fixing surface mounting trunking for now, my walls are just painted brilliant white so it shouldnt matter.

It depends what decor you have, if you have wall paper and have some left you could cover the trunking in it and if you needed access you just remove the wall paper and put new on it?

3. sherbert79

sherbert79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Will need to have a think about this one!! My walls are brilliant white as well but im not sure if the trunking would look good!! Its an electric fire so theres no chimney breast in the wall so i might be able to sink a bit of the trunking in to the plaster and keep it flush!!

Just waiting on the engineer to call to fix my lcd, i hope it doesnt have to go back i couldnt bare going back to a normall tv!!!!

4. DanDT

DanDT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    I was thinking of getting some sort of plastic concealing *thing*. Black though, going from the bottom of my R51 to the floor, so it looks like the panel is kinda "suspended" on this thin black stand. Not sure that's a clear description but in my head it looks great :cool:

5. thelurch

thelurch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Not a bad idea that, ive got an r51 also, I suppose you could always spray the white trunking with a black car paint? if you cannot get black trunking?

6. clonmult

clonmult

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Our LCD is currently on a stand in the corner of the lounge; can't wall mount until our shiny new leather sofas turn up (it'll depend on how it looks at various locations).

I'll probably get some of the white plastic trunking from B&Q and paint it the same colour as the walls. Hopefully it shouldn't be too long a piece of trunking, being cut off just "below" the sofa that will be under it.

My only problem is working out the cable lengths - I'll have to buy 1.5/2 meter long sections of S-Video, 2xscart cables, stereo audio in/out, possibly the power cable as well. And of course making sure that the trunking is big enough to take them all ... :)

7. sherbert79

sherbert79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I had to buy two longer scarts aswell so that my digibox could sit on the floor, does you picture quality depend on how good your scart cables are?? Also my dvd player and my lcd are geared up for HDMI but i need to buy a cable for that, is it worth getting one???

8. DanDT

DanDT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Yep that's the idea :smashin:

9. drbober

drbober
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you want to fit a Scart lead into some trunking or plastic pipe that is too small for the end connectors you can split the trunking along its length and push the cable through the gap.

Once plastered over you won't be able to get the scarts out but it will allow you to add remove other cables if required.

10. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Ask in the DLP TV forum, one of the guys in there (Razor) is an installer i think and has done all his own stuff - he may be able to offer some advise.

11. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,057
    i just used 25x16mm trunking from B&Q. It is noticable, but only if you look. Mounted in the corner between the mantlepiece and the wall its fairly discreet.

From the LCD down its more obvious, but I just stuck 4 bits together to make a kind of feature of it.

With the new 37", I'm going to mount it much lower, so the bottom edge is only just above my centre speaker. Then I won't need vertical trunking at all.