1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Conan The Barbarian SE 5.1 R2 Problems

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by kal, May 14, 2002.

1. kal

kal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Everyone,

I'm new here, so hello. I've searched the posts for comments about the new Conan the Barbarian R2 DVD and can't seem to find the answer to my question, which is: has anybody else found video problems with this DVD? I bought it recently and it looks to be in good nick. The sound is perfect, and most of the film too. However, there are several sections of the DVD where the video quality becomes really bad - it looks like the quality you get when you compress a video with a crap codec. It's not pixellating or becoming jerky, but has these horizontal lines and looses all sharpness, especially in fast scenes. Other scenes in the film, including fast ones are fine.

I was watching it on a PS2 and have not had any problems playing DVDs on it (including anamorphic ones).

As I said before, the DVD looks fine, so I hesitate to send it back for a replacement - will the replacement have the same problems?

Any thoughts would be appreciated (or if anyone out there has the DVD please confirm that it is ok etc).

Cheers,
    Kal.

2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi Kal,

Welcome to our little part of the world!

With reference to this DVD, a replacement copy may or may not have the same problems. It depends if the fault is just a one-off, unique to your DVD disc, or a batch production problem, where there may be several hundred/thousand copies all with the same issue.

However, your best bet is to exchange the DVD anyway, and check that out on your PS2. If it's still faulty, then check it on another DVD player - not a PS2, just to make sure that it isn't a PS2-only problem. If the problem also appears on a DVD player, then you know that (more than likely) it's a batch production problem.

In that case, the only thing you can do is contact the distributors and speak to them about it.

If, on the other hand, it's a problem that only appears on a PS2, then you have two choices:
    1) Return the DVD, and hope that the distribution company know about the mistake (or you telephone them about the problem, yourself).
    2) Buy a DVD player, and use that instead of your PS2.
    3) Put up with the problem.

Have you also checked all your cabling, and the packaging on the DVD itself? The packaging may make reference to the "picture quality", in the small print; something along the lines of "Due to the archival nature of this movie, some scenes may appear with reduced picture quality, when viewed. This is not a fault on the DVD." It's best to check, just to be on the safe side.

Sorry, I can't be of more help than that.

Pooch

3. kal

kal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi PoochJD,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'll try out the DVD on my laptop tonight (I have a DVD player back at home - I'm abroad at the moment) and so I'm not fussed if it's a problem with the PS2.

If it is a batch problem - has anybody else got this DVD and found a similar problem?

In the mean time I'm going to send the DVD back (if it has the same problem on the laptop) and see if the replacement is the same.

Cheers,
    Kal.

4. MickyGee

MickyGee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have the same issue with single disc SE released a few years ago. Tried it again with my new DVD on my LCD panel to see if things improved, with lots of motion blur on certain scenes and strobing effects around horse riders heads. I was hoping to buy the new two disc set out now, in the hope it was a better transfer (higher bit rate ?). Anyone else have issue with this movie.

Not an LCD issue as other movies don't have this problem on fast moving scenes.

I have got the original Region One mono version and will see if simarly afflicted.

Pity as its my favourite movie (sad I know !)

5. MickyGee

MickyGee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just compared back to back R1 SE against R2 SE (both single disc versions).

Image better (lighter crisper, no motion blurring, or strobing effects) on R1, but DD5.1 music better on R2.

If the new two disc SE has the R1 transfer quality and the better DTS 5.1 sound it will be a great buy. Any had similar issues with R2 releases.

BTW tried DVD in NTSC and PAL with no difference to PQ.

6. MickyGee

MickyGee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Got the the two disc R2 SE, much better transfer and higher bit rate than old single R2 SE. One to get until HD version out !

7. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Yes, It's interlaced and nasty.