1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Conan the Barbarian/Conan the Destroyer

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Thor, Dec 19, 2002.

1. Thor

Thor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Anyone interested in the best available versions of
    Conan the Barbarian
    or
    Conan the Destroyer ?
    Well, Region 4 new release of the Conan Boxset is available now with both films anamorphic and both DD 5.1.
    See EzyDVD.au
    Just ordered mine and it's winging it's way to me now. Cant wait for the New Year now to get them. :cool:

2. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,021
    Isn't the R4 CTB the same cut version as the UK disc? I'm sure it had an Australian copyright warning at the beginning after the UK/Ireland warning and the disc was coded R2 and R4 like most of Fox's releases.
    I picked up the UK disc to see what the 5.1 audio track was like, but it's pretty much the same as most mono tracks remixed to 5.1 - the music sounds nice, but most of the rest of the sound stays mono with virtually no surround or even stereo effects, which is a shame. I'm glad I didn't get rid of my R1 version.
    Also worth noting, the widescreen vhs I bought for a fiver 2 or 3 years ago is actually less cut than the DVD. There's even more taken out of the horse stunts during the fight at the burial ground near the end on the film, which is ridiculous as they show them in the documentary when discussing the stunts

3. lentini

lentini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +455
  4. Thor

Thor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I agree about the 5.1 mix, the music is most prominently remixed with most effects still coming from the front. The thing is though, for me, what really makes this film great is the music, I love it.:cool: When I get the boxset I'll post a comparison here and tell you about the differences but I think that these (hopefully) should be the most complete versions available.:)
    For anyone buying R2 UK 5.1 Conan BEWARE it has been severely censored ! :mad: I know because I bought it.:(

5. daninthemix

daninthemix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Barbarian sounds wonderful in 5.1 I thought - one of the best film scores ever, and sounds excellent on this disc. My copy of Destroyer is only in stereo though (still sounds good); that means they'll be releasing Destroyer again over here shirley :confused:

6. koku

koku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I can tell, the R4 IS uncut. I can't supply a list of all the horse trips n' stuff that have been excised from the UK R2 version but in my R4 copy everything that's discussed in the documentary relating to cuts is included in the main feature.

I agree that the sound effects are nothing special (from the rear channels at least) but that Poledouris score still rules! :D

That said, having compared the DVD and my CD soundtrack, this must be the first PAL DVD where I've been able to discern a different pitch due to the 4% speedup. Does anyone else find this?

7. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,021
    Nice to know it's uncut on R4. Shame they got the same butchered Commando as we did in the UK though.
    As for the 4% speed-up....me too.

Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of the women.

I don't think anyone other than John Milius could have written that line, the guy's got his macho dialogue totally nailed.

8. koku

koku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or, as Arnie manages to mangles it with Teutonic timbre: "Krush yoor enemeez, zee dem driven bevoor yoo ant heer de lamendashuns of de vimmin!" :D

9. Thor

Thor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You can easily tell if your version is censored, just listen to the music. If the music jumps or glitches then there is a cut. My R2 UK 5.1 sounds like an old LP, with the needle jumping, due to the censorship.:D

10. Thor

Thor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Brilliant! Well done EzyDVD.au, they got my copy to me on the 24th December, I never thought it would get here until the new year. I've already listened to Conan the Barbarian and can also confirm that there are no cuts as far as I can see. The two films in the boxset are exactly the same discs and packaging as you get if you buy the R4 films singularly but you have a cardboard outer sleeve into which the two cases slide into. The boxset is also cheaper than buying them as seperates. I am well chuffed with this R4 boxset. :cool: :D :D :D :D :cool: