Comunial Freeview Upgrade Obligation

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by stuartsjg, Aug 16, 2004.

1. stuartsjg

stuartsjg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, i live in a block of flats with 11 off the 1 aerial. I cant get C5 or freeview as the aerial and dist sys is about 20 years old - there since the flats were built.

The block is factored by Nationwide@Home (Aberdeen) and im wondering if there under any obligation (legal or other) to have the system upgraded as i am paying for (via TV licence) things i cannot recieve.

I have spoke to them but apparently im the only one who has asked about it. Looking out the back most have sky so prob dont even use the aerial system.

Any ideas?

Thanks. :)

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    well if they all have Sat dishes, see if you can have your own aerial, have you tried a FV box? The diat sytem may need an upgrade, or a new antenna but existing cabling might be up to the job, Ask your neighbours, start a petition and contact the dtg to see if they have any advice. Also worth contating your local CAI registered aerial installers, as they may have dealt with the management company before etc

3. JohnW14

JohnW14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On a legal note, assuming the situation is the same in Scotland as England, to upgrade a functioning aerial system to receive Freeview is an improvement not a repair. Before the freeholder can carry out improvements, he/it must obtain the consent of the flat owners. The only way to force the freeholder (the same as Factor?) to do this would be a mass petition by a majority of the flat owners, as recommended by hornydragon.